Gibson Brands Forums

String suggestions

RichG

I've had the 1939 J-55 for about two years and I have not found strings to make it sound as full as when I got it. Admittedly, they were probably old and the previous owner didn't know what was on it. I have used DR Sunbeams and now have DR Rares. The DR's work great for me on my Sheryl Crow Southern Jumbo. The J-55 is just too bright, not enough mid range with the DR strings. I may have also had some D'Addario PB's on it once. All the strings I have used are 12's. Right now, side by side the SCSJ has a better sound. More balanced.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Rich

My 59 LG3 was too bright with the Gibson MB 12s, and I had just been reading someone complaining about their Elixir Nano 12s making their guitar too dull.........aha......and I had a packet sitting there........so!

Worked great!

There are all kinds of vintage sounding strings being advertised at the moment...Monels and such.

BluesKing777.

While I would always respect and try what BK suggests, in my mind the only place to start in outfitting such a fine guitar would be Tomastik-Infeld Spectrum 12's. 18 bucks a pop and worth it for the longevity and evenness.

Thanks BK and Jedzep. I just ordered a set of Tomastik Infield Spectrum 12's. I had heard of them and forgot the name, so we'll see how they work out. It won't be the first or last time I take a chance with $20. [biggrin]

Rich

Archived