Gibson Brands Forums

My first gig with my J-35

post-63132-073236300 1403492006_thumb.jpg

My J-35 got a good work out this weekend. Our town had their annual celebration and our family has played a concert at our theater for 14 straight years on this weekend(I have only played in 10 of them). I attached a picture of me sitting on the edge of the stage playing with my two handicapped brothers-in-law. Joel taught me my first chords 10 years ago, now I am covering for him, because his MD has gotten so bad he can hardly close his hand to form the chords. Standing on the stage is my super star Nephew, Shawn. I let him play my guitar so I could get his opinion of it and he asked me if he could use it for our concert. (I got a kick out of this, because he is Taylor (310CE) guy and all of sudden he is in love with the Gibby. So I played it for 45 minutes for our set and then Shawn plugged it in and used it for 90 minutes. The Baggs Element worked great (I hadn't tried it plugged in yet, because I don't have the set up for it). Anyway, I may have turned a Taylor guy over to the Gibson side with my J-35. [thumbup]

post-63132-073236300 1403492006_thumb.jpg

My J-35 got a good work out this weekend. Our town had their annual celebration and our family has played a concert at our theater for 14 straight years on this weekend(I have only played in 10 of them). I attached a picture of me sitting on the edge of the stage playing with my two handicapped brothers-in-law. Joel taught me my first chords 10 years ago, now I am covering for him, because his MD has gotten so bad he can hardly close his hand to form the chords. Standing on the stage is my super star Nephew, Shawn. I let him play my guitar so I could get his opinion of it and he asked me if he could use it for our concert. (I got a kick out of this, because he is Taylor (310CE) guy and all of sudden he is in love with the Gibby. So I played it for 45 minutes for our set and then Shawn plugged it in and used it for 90 minutes. The Baggs Element worked great (I hadn't tried it plugged in yet, because I don't have the set up for it). Anyway, I may have turned a Taylor guy over to the Gibson side with my J-35. [thumbup]

Nice story Doug,

must be tuff to see guys you care so much about struggle with these crazy illnesses,, makes me sad to read that.

and wait a sec.. you let a TAYLOR guy play your GIBSON?

Gives another Taylor guy (me) hope!! [thumbup]

Nice story Doug,

must be tuff to see guys you care so much about struggle with these crazy illnesses,, makes me sad to read that.

and wait a sec.. you let a TAYLOR guy play your GIBSON?

Gives another Taylor guy (me) hope!! [thumbup]

Thank you for your kind words. It just breaks my heart to see Joel getting weaker and weaker. He has been playing guitar for over 40 years and has taught several nephews (including the Taylor guy) how to play the basic chords and now he isn't strong enough to hold his ES135 so gave it to his oldest brother who has a band. He can't hold his Alvarez 12 string, so now is playing a childs Harmony six string. But on the upside he keeps on doing it, he loves his music and we find ways for him to play single string chords and then we cover for him.

I have a question for you KB, are there instructions to upload a video to the forum? My niece took a video on her smart phone of my nephew (her husband, the Taylor guy) playing my brother-in-laws (the one with MD) 1969? ES135 Gibson on a Beatles song. I don't know how to download it, but it sounds and looks pretty good and I wanted to share it with guys and gals. My oldest brother in law is also on the video playing his refurbished Sorrento electric that was his first guitar in like 1964, and he also had the ES135 gone over, it had some pickup problems and tuner issues that were remedied.

Regards,

Doug

Thank you for your kind words. It just breaks my heart to see Joel getting weaker and weaker. He has been playing guitar for over 40 years and has taught several nephews (including the Taylor guy) how to play the basic chords and now he isn't strong enough to hold his ES135 so gave it to his oldest brother who has a band. He can't hold his Alvarez 12 string, so now is playing a childs Harmony six string. But on the upside he keeps on doing it, he loves his music and we find ways for him to play single string chords and then we cover for him.

I have a question for you KB, are there instructions to upload a video to the forum? My niece took a video on her smart phone of my nephew (her husband, the Taylor guy) playing my brother-in-laws (the one with MD) 1969? ES135 Gibson on a Beatles song. I don't know how to download it, but it sounds and looks pretty good and I wanted to share it with guys and gals. My oldest brother in law is also on the video playing his refurbished Sorrento electric that was his first guitar in like 1964, and he also had the ES135 gone over, it had some pickup problems and tuner issues that were remedied.

Regards,

Doug

Hi Doug,

you're right in there is the upshot that Joel is not giving up. It's gotta be a struggle, when we can no longer do what our hearts love doing the most, heartbreaking indeed.

for uploading a video, sort of the the same as photos. eg: just use another hosting site, and paste the link here,, in the case of a video, just post on Youtube then paste that link in a forum post.

That's what I think everyone is doing.

Cheers Doug,

/Ray

Hi Doug,

you're right in there is the upshot that Joel is not giving up. It's gotta be a struggle, when we can no longer do what our hearts love doing the most, heartbreaking indeed.

for uploading a video, sort of the the same as photos. eg: just use another hosting site, and paste the link here,, in the case of a video, just post on Youtube then paste that link in a forum post.

That's what I think everyone is doing.

Cheers Doug,

/Ray

Thanks, Ray. :)

Archived