Gibson Brands Forums

Fancy a New Slide?

IanHenry

My copy of Guitarist magazine arrived today, and when I flicked it pen, the first thing that I saw was a review of Wolfram slides. Apparently, the reviewer thought they were the best slides he'd every used, and one can be yours for a mere £250 ($424.03)plus shipping! I think I might pass on this.

http://www.wolframslides.com/

Ian

Thanks ! Think I'll order 2 just in case i lose one. You gotta be kidding.

Yes Karloff, but apparently those will never get scratch marks on them! But I guess you could buy a few "ordinary" slides for that price.

Ian

Perhaps one who made his or her living as a slide guitarist? I could see it if you spent x hours per night earning your living - assuming it really is a nice slide and there is a discernible difference. For the average Joe, obviously not!

And I was looking at the Derek Trucks sig slide and wondering why that is so expensive.....at £25, 1/10 of the price.

The late great Lowell George used an 11/16 socket for a slide. Aren't socket sets also toughened steel?

I don't think one of these would make me play slide any better at all.

I bet it sounds awesome on an $8000 relic'd guitar.

exactly ! i'm not going to use a regular $4.00 to $6.00 slide on my $15,000.00 Duane Allman Les Paul. wouldn't be proper. I think it's great that they offer a high end slide like that, so I'm not forced to use a regular slide like all the "little people" ... the commoners.

And Duane Allman...it's a matter of record and I have a picture of it in an old Guitar World....used an aspirin bottle - 'Coricidin' to be exact; Gregg still has it!

I read sometime back that George Thorogood would used a piece of copper tubing. Which would cost peanuts. And he would toss alot of them to fans.

Costs a lot more than it used to actually. I have some that I cut from copper tubing. I bought a big piece back when it really was cheap. Copper doesn't have much sustain, but it has a lot of brightness.

My copy of Guitarist magazine arrived today, and when I flicked it pen, the first thing that I saw was a review of Wolfram slides. Apparently, the reviewer thought they were the best slides he'd every used, and one can be yours for a mere £250 ($424.03)plus shipping! I think I might pass on this.

Ian

I don't have any doubt about the result of the review.

When looking at the website, I was puzzled for the first moment since Wolfram is the German word for tungsten or W in the Periodic System of the Elements. The English word tungsten for the heavy metal is derived from the Swedish word tungsten for the Scandinavian mineral called Tungstein here, aka Scheelite, containing 63.86% tungsten metal.

Tungsten carbide (WC) has a very high density which indeed should offer advantages for tone, especially when wanting lower wall thickness. You may have less weight on your finger, more feel, and better tone. Creating a cone-shaped hole is also a good idea in my opinion. The manufacturing process, well known since decades from making high speed cutting tools, is rather expensive, so I don't think they will gain much profit through crafting WC slides.

I think it can be a significant improvement for the playing musician as long as your fingers don't swell. In this case you were in need of technical help. Once the fire brigades of the city Osnabrück, Germany, had to destroy a finger ring made of WC after the bearer was stung by a wasp into the ring finger, and thus saved the person the finger.

However, since years my choice are Dunlop 215 clear glass slides, and some new ones costed me EUR 4.90 each last year. They are at EUR 6.90 at the moment.

Some folks (that would buy those) just have more money, than sense...IMHO.

But, Knock themselves out!

My glass slides, are OLD pill bottles, mostly. And, aside from the cost of

the pills (which were not for me), they were free! And, I think the cost

of the pills, in those days, was a lot less than even a glass slide costs now. [tongue]

So...???

CB

Ian

The mechanical drawings for the plans remind me of the drawings they used in that movie, The Hudsucker Proxy for the hula hoop that they had just invented.

Guest Farnsbarns

You're all just mad coz you haven't ordered one. Mine is in the post...

To some other mug.

I have one of those swamp slides which I think is still pricey at £30. I dont play slide much if at all, i guess I just hoped that I would use it more than I do. It does look cool though, if only like a rusty piece of pipe to the non guitarist

I have quite a few of different materials, glass, brass, copper. Never tried porcelain. The biggest things is that the shops often have only a few, and ordering online is sketchy because of fit. You really need to try a bunch of them to find the one that's perfect.

Archived