Gibson Brands Forums

Fancy a New Slide?

IanHenry

• 2 weeks later...

During slide playing today just for fun - I haven't done this in any songs since 1996 - I came to thinking about the Wolfram slides again. Could it be that they allow for either better tone and dynamic, or the same tone and dynamic with less string action due to their special properties? The latter could be interesting in my opinion, and in fact save the money to spend on additional guitars with a dedicated set up.

During slide playing today just for fun - I haven't done this in any songs since 1996 - I came to thinking about the Wolfram slides again. Could it be that they allow for either better tone and dynamic, or the same tone and dynamic with less string action due to their special properties? The latter could be interesting in my opinion, and in fact save the money to spend on additional guitars with a dedicated set up.

Yes, as usual you have an interesting point but - well, no. I play slide on 3 songs of our set (e.g. REMs "Man In The Moon") and the aspirin bottle I use is always consistent but my fingers and string muting are not. I concede that Wolfram is an extraordinary material but £250 is completely laughable. IMO even £25 is silly money to pay for something you slide up and down your strings, considering a small tweak on the tone controls of the amp will change everything. There are metals, there is glass (pyrex or plastic-based 'glass' = no good), there are ceramics each with their own different sound or tone qualities; then there is weight and what is manageable and useable for you. Ultimately the people I play to don't know or care except does it sound right?

Archived