Gibson Brands Forums

The Fender Personality Card Pt 2

Rabs

Wow.. I really wasn't expecting that... I will leave you guys to watch it and see... Its for their 60th anniversary... Gibson did the autotune, Fender have gone with the personality card... Kind of interesting (go to about 4:20 if you want to skip to the juicy bit)

I'm holding out for the mojo card.

I'll take a talent card? [lol]

So at first I was like, h3ll no! But after the demo I can see the advantages. Still, I'd rather just wire up a guitar how I want. If I had this I wouldn't have and excuse to have three Strats! [biggrin]

I'll take a talent card? [lol]

So at first I was like, h3ll no! But after the demo I can see the advantages. Still, I'd rather just wire up a guitar how I want. If I had this I wouldn't have and excuse to have three Strats! [biggrin]

Talent Card! I LIKE it! [biggrin] But, is this all really "new?" Didn't Line 6 do

much the same thing, with the Variaxe, just without the cards?

CB

Since circa three months I have an axe to grind with Fender. After it will be accomplished, I will for sure create a topic on the whole story. For the moment I just want to state that they seem to be unable replacing defective piezo saddles on warranty. [mad]

Luckily there is a both large and reputable dealer on my side. B)

Therefore I couldn't care less about those personality cards at the moment. I also guess they won't offer these for long due to insane success. :-k

I'm not realy into new technology when it comes to guitars. Robot tuners, personality cards, I don't give a sh*t.

IMO, modern guitars haven't got the same vibe.

Sold my American deluxe strat and now saving for a custom shop, the way a strat has to be and sound like.

Cheers.

CB,

think of the line 6 model (or any amp modeler - where by the models are supposed to be recreations of the classic amps.)

the Variaxe takes that to the guitar, so it "models" specific guitars or stringed instruments, (like banjo, sitar)

so you select the "guitar" you wish to sound like (in theory), like a 68 Tele Thinline - just like with the amp model, where you can you select a 59 Bassman model. and again "In Theory" you are now setup to have all the juicy tonal goodness of a REAL Thinline and 59 Fender Bassman. Sounds too good to be true right? yea.. know that say about "too good to be true" right? :)

I shouldn't cast dispersions.. I've never heard them in person to know how close they come.

the Personality card appears to be a way to change how card's "circuit" will interact with the pickups you have. I don't think it would ever sound like an acoustic,, or what ever other "guitar" sound you were trying to recreate.

at the end of the demo, Chappers had a great question..

what happens with "no card"? does it work?

CB,

think of the line 6 model (or any amp modeler - where by the models are supposed to be recreations of the classic amps.)

the Variaxe takes that to the guitar, so it "models" specific guitars or stringed instruments, (like banjo, sitar)

so you select the "guitar" you wish to sound like (in theory), like a 68 Tele Thinline - just like with the amp model, where you can you select a 59 Bassman model. and again "In Theory" you are now setup to have all the juicy tonal goodness of a REAL Thinline and 59 Fender Bassman. Sounds too good to be true right? yea.. know that say about "too good to be true" right? :)

I shouldn't cast dispersions.. I've never heard them in person to know how close they come.

the Personality card appears to be a way to change how card's "circuit" will interact with the pickups you have. I don't think it would ever sound like an acoustic,, or what ever other "guitar" sound you were trying to recreate.

at the end of the demo, Chappers had a great question..

what happens with "no card"? does it work?

Thanks, I wasn't (totally) aware of all the Variaxe was (supposedly) capable of. I guess I'm

more "Luddite" and/or "Conservative" than I had imagined, or (possibly) wanted to admit? [tongue][biggrin]

CB

Thanks, I wasn't (totally) aware of all the Variaxe was (supposedly) capable of. I guess I'm

more "Luddite" and/or "Conservative" than I had imagined, or (possibly) wanted to admit? [tongue][biggrin]

CB

ya, I hear you.. I can only say to that "move over rover, you have company"...

:)

I do like the amp modeling, for the convenience factor. I've acquired two mustang combos, they sound good for what they are.

never tried a variaxe, so I just know what they are supposed to be able to do, no idea how well they do it!

Wow.. I really wasn't expecting that... I will leave you guys to watch it and see... Its for their 60th anniversary... Gibson did the autotune, Fender have gone with the personality card... Kind of interesting (go to about 4:20 if you want to skip to the juicy bit)

I may be in the minority here but i think it's rather interesting. I just hope fender doesnt put it in EVERY single model like Gibson did with the coil tapping. Sometimes, you just want your guitar to be the way it was intended and make your own effects.

I think the idea is pretty decent - to have a single guitar that covers a wide range of tone.

In theory you could have a guitar, neck, shape, etc., that you really like and then have one guitar that does the work of everything from an acoustic 12 to a classical guitar.

Listening to Line 6 demos, I'd suggest it falls short - but in ways kinda like my Leslie emulator kinda falls short.

In ways I don't care for the concept for several reasons, and some are specific to Fender. I don't like Fender necks in general, and in particular the tighter fretboard radius. I can play Bach on a Gibson-style neck and shorter scale, but not on a Fender, for example. Ditto a lotta other fingerpicking that I do.

Thing is, for some folks it's likely a good idea within the parameters of what and how they play.

For me... I'd not spend my money on it.

Then again, each of us has guitar concepts we like and bond with, and other concepts we just don't get into.

m

Still not sold on the sounds, but those guys are really funny. Surprised how they sometimes kinda dis stuff that they are selling. I respect that. So they have an actual guitar shop in the UK?

Yeah, Andertons Music is an actual store in Guildford, Surrey, UK. If you go to Rob's channel (just search Rob Chapman) he recently uploaded a video (with him and Lee shopping for pedals for their pedalboards) where you get a good look at most of the store. Really nice place. It's a family-run big-box store.

-Ryan

Yeah, Andertons Music is an actual store in Guildford, Surrey, UK. If you go to Rob's channel (just search Rob Chapman) he recently uploaded a video (with him and Lee shopping for pedals for their pedalboards) where you get a good look at most of the store. Really nice place. It's a family-run big-box store.

-Ryan

And all this time I thought you were a Yank.

rct

Archived