Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Traditional 2015...

tinman1

So my plan is to wait and save for a Les Paul Traditional to buy in 2015. I have to admit that this in part is down to the 12th fret inlay which IMO is hideous.

What would you guys forsee/ like to see on the 2015 models (apart from no inlay!)??

I for one wouldn't mind the return of "traditional" rather than no weight relief. Have to keep 50s rounded neck and genuine rosewood fingerboards.

I have a 2014 Traditional and I really like the 12th fret inlay. I'm probably the only one who does. I love the guitar and I believe that the new pickups are outstanding. I would like to see some changes however. But before I get to that, I would like to say that I hope that the electronics remain hand wired with no PCB or coil tapping. Not everyone wants to be Jimmy Page. And skip Min-Etunes if they are in the works. Basically, I would like the guitar to remain mostly unchanged. For improvement:

1) I would like to see more attention to quality control. For whatever reason, Gibson sprays lacquer on the sides of the nut and this is my second Gibson in which the lacquer on the nut was pealing off and threatened to spread to the neck binding. Lacquer ran over the bridge post sockets on my new Traditional and I had to cut that off with an Exacto Knife. The jack plate was on crooked and a strap button was also screwed on crooked. I know these are somewhat minor, but issues like these should not happen on a $2600.00 guitar.

2) I would like to see the return of the Plus Top and a basic model with a plain or painted top.

3) I would like to see a thinner lacquer finish, more like a historic. As it is, the lacquer is so thick it is like the guitar was dipped.

4) Is it possible to have a VOS finish?

5) I would like to see more vintage type burst variations. I would like to see a lemon burst or an ice tea.

6) I would like to see a return to the black case with white lining. I love the vintage correct look of the new brown cases, but I think the quality has slipped.

7) I know that this might be sacrilege, but I wouldn't mind seeing a polyester or urethane finish. Both are less harmful to the environment. They are more durable and frankly, I think that Epiphones are finished better than Gibsons. Sorry, but I am tired of seeing orange peel and having a guitar that is a solid mass of scratches and swirls when it is less than three weeks old because of the soft, rubbery and thickly sprayed lacquer. Gibson needs to take some lessons in guitar painting from the Fender Custom Shop. Fender knows how to spray lacquer.

Sorry if I offended anyone. I love Gibsons. Les Pauls are my favorite guitars. I just want them to continue to be great.

My own personal prefereces would be;

A return to the 'TearDrop spray pattern on all 'burst finishes - and offer a few more as suggested by curnla.

Swap the TonePro tuners for Kluson/Gibson DeLuxe.

Nickel hardware.

Other than that the Trad is, by far, my favourite from any of the USA range of LPs.

No tuning gizmo as standard equipment and Keep the Nubs!

A bit on the 12th fret inlay;

For decades Gibson has used a 'board inlay as the place where they commemorate landmarks.

40 years ago the 20th anniversary Les Paul Custom had the words 'Twentieth Anniversary' inscribed into the (regularly shaped) 15th fret inlay block.

A version of the P-90 Standard had a 40th Anniversary trap-shaped inlay at the 12th fret

The current 'scroll' inlay was chosen when Gibson celebrated their Centenary with a 100th Anniversary inlay also at the 12th.

All of these variants have become slightly more sought-after in certain quarters because of their more 'unique' nature in comparison with either earlier or later examples.

It's not a 'given' that the same will happen to the 120th instruments but I wouldn't be surprised if they are fondly-remembered in years to come.

P.

So my plan is to wait and save for a Les Paul Traditional to buy in 2015. I have to admit that this in part is down to the 12th fret inlay which IMO is hideous.

What would you guys forsee/ like to see on the 2015 models (apart from no inlay!)??

I for one wouldn't mind the return of "traditional" rather than no weight relief. Have to keep 50s rounded neck and genuine rosewood fingerboards.

Why not buy a second hand 2013 trad? you will save some money that way too.

I picked up my mint 2013 Trad in Honeyburst for £1,150 and she is lovely [biggrin]

I then spent £100 odd on a bare knuckles bridge pup and.. WOW heaven.

I have a 2014 Traditional and I really like the 12th fret inlay. I'm probably the only one who does. I love the guitar and I believe that the new pickups are outstanding. I would like to see some changes however. But before I get to that, I would like to say that I hope that the electronics remain hand wired with no PCB or coil tapping. Not everyone wants to be Jimmy Page. And skip Min-Etunes if they are in the works. Basically, I would like the guitar to remain mostly unchanged. For improvement:

1) I would like to see more attention to quality control. For whatever reason, Gibson sprays lacquer on the sides of the nut and this is my second Gibson in which the lacquer on the nut was pealing off and threatened to spread to the neck binding. Lacquer ran over the bridge post sockets on my new Traditional and I had to cut that off with an Exacto Knife. The jack plate was on crooked and a strap button was also screwed on crooked. I know these are somewhat minor, but issues like these should not happen on a $2600.00 guitar.

2) I would like to see the return of the Plus Top and a basic model with a plain or painted top.

3) I would like to see a thinner lacquer finish, more like a historic. As it is, the lacquer is so thick it is like the guitar was dipped.

4) Is it possible to have a VOS finish?

5) I would like to see more vintage type burst variations. I would like to see a lemon burst or an ice tea.

6) I would like to see a return to the black case with white lining. I love the vintage correct look of the new brown cases, but I think the quality has slipped.

7) I know that this might be sacrilege, but I wouldn't mind seeing a polyester or urethane finish. Both are less harmful to the environment. They are more durable and frankly, I think that Epiphones are finished better than Gibsons. Sorry, but I am tired of seeing orange peel and having a guitar that is a solid mass of scratches and swirls when it is less than three weeks old because of the soft, rubbery and thickly sprayed lacquer. Gibson needs to take some lessons in guitar painting from the Fender Custom Shop. Fender knows how to spray lacquer.

Sorry if I offended anyone. I love Gibsons. Les Pauls are my favorite guitars. I just want them to continue to be great.

Interesting...think I agree with all except the idea of a polyurethane finish. To me the smell, feel and wear characteristics of nitro lacquer are part of the appeal.

My own personal prefereces would be;

A return to the 'TearDrop spray pattern on all 'burst finishes - and offer a few more as suggested by curnla.

Swap the TonePro tuners for Kluson/Gibson DeLuxe.

Nickel hardware.

Other than that the Trad is, by far, my favourite from any of the USA range of LPs.

No tuning gizmo as standard equipment and Keep the Nubs!

For decades Gibson has used a 'board inlay as the place where they commemorate landmarks.

40 years ago the 20th anniversary Les Paul Custom had the words 'Twentieth Anniversary' inscribed into the (regularly shaped) 15th fret inlay block.

A version of the P-90 Standard had a 40th Anniversary trap-shaped inlay at the 12th fret

The current 'scroll' inlay was chosen when Gibson celebrated their Centenary with a 100th Anniversary inlay also at the 12th.

All of these variants have become slightly more sought-after in certain quarters because of their more 'unique' nature in comparison with either earlier or later examples.

It's not a 'given' that the same will happen to the 120th instruments but I wouldn't be surprised if they are fondly-remembered in years to come.

P.

Fair do's. The inlay was always going to split opinion. Its more the font and comic book style scroll that I don't like. A subtle "120" within a normal trapezoid inlay would have been fine.

Why not buy a second hand 2013 trad? you will save some money that way too.

I picked up my mint 2013 Trad in Honeyburst for £1,150 and she is lovely [biggrin]

I then spent £100 odd on a bare knuckles bridge pup and.. WOW heaven.

Definiately an option I've considered. Narrows choice though- I've not seen one that fits the bill finish wise yet and as time goes on the chances of finding one in mint/ excellent condition get smaller.

My suggestion that Gibson go to a poly finish was somewhat in jest. If they can't spray a decent lacquer finish, then go to something that can be done with better results. The Fender Custom Shop is able to spray a perfect finish as evidenced by the two CS Fenders that I have owned. Why can't Gibson. The finish on my first Les Paul, a 2008 model, was sprayed so thick that it felt like rubber and took over a year to cure.

I agree that a return to more teardrop bursts would be very much welcomed by me.

...A subtle "120" within a normal trapezoid inlay would have been fine...

That would have been a more discreet option, for sure, and might have been a more agreeable solution to many prospective purchasers. Me for one.

Having said that I certainly wouldn't be put-off because of the Scroll inlay. In time I'm sure I'd learn to love it, too.

P.

Wasn't really aware of the teardrop burst thing until now actually- having checked it out on google images I agree!

Also totally agree re mini etune- don't go there Gibson! And no more granadillo/ baked maple fretboards please.

• 1 month later...

I have a 2014 Traditional and I really like the 12th fret inlay. I'm probably the only one who does.

I love the 12th fret 120th Anniversary inlay, too. And to see a Lemonburst that isn't on a historic would be a nice change (still set on buying an R8 in said colour, however).

P.

The 30th Anniversary models also had a special inlay on the 15th fret; found one on eBay just the other day. Sadly priced a few grand <_<

This might be sacrilege, but I'd like to see a choice between 50's fatneck or 60's sliptaper. I know this verges on what the Standard series offers, but as someone who overall favours a 60's sliptaper, and likes the solid weight of a Traditional (even though both my LP's have weight-relief); it could be that bit that sells it for me.

• 1 month later...

Looks like Gibson are in fact intent on alienating most guitarists after all. 30% price hikes on their way among other dodgy changes....

http://reverb.com/blog/gibson-to-increase-prices-update-models-for-2015?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=rn091014

This makes one most sad. Why would they limit the range and increase the prices of what remains? I'm interested in one of the new LP Specials, but limiting a good range is definitely going to put people off Gibson.

What marketing 'genius' thought this one up, I wonder...

Keep the specs the same as the originals (that is the point isn't it), that is my only suggestion, I have a 2013 model and everything about the guitar is exactly what I want in a LP, thick neck, outstanding pickups, there is nothing I would change on mine.

The traditionals have rocketed in price for 14/15 there are loads of 2013 trads going for real cheap and they are excellent.in 2015 the les paul decal is different and ridiculous looking.

Did you also notice that along with the stupid headstock signature that is allegedly that of 90-year-old Les's shaky hand and the outrageous price increase, the 2015 monstrosity had MinEtunes?

I must concur...

While I think the nitro finish on a Gibson should remain a standard offereing, I'd definitely like to see the option of a harder finish. I have a 2000 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Limited Edition and the nitro finish simply didn't cure or something and was always gummy. I may have committed sacrilege because I got sick of fighting with it and I masked it up and refinished the neck with a coating of Polyurethane. While I made some mistakes doing my first ever such work, I love the feel now and it is no longer gummy and I play it much better and it feels way better to me now...

The funny thing is I don't have that problem with all Gibsons or their nitro finishes, I think it's an issue with some that for whatever reason simply didn't cure compared to others...

But the Polyurethane finish is perfect and consistently harder...

My guitars are for playing, not looking-at or reselling...

Looks like Gibson are in fact intent on alienating most guitarists after all. 30% price hikes on their way among other dodgy changes....

http://reverb.com/blog/gibson-to-increase-prices-update-models-for-2015?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=rn091014

There isn't a lot of information in this article but NONE of it sounds good. Why?

This might be sacrilege, but I'd like to see a choice between 50's fatneck or 60's sliptaper. I know this verges on what the Standard series offers, but as someone who overall favours a 60's sliptaper, and likes the solid weight of a Traditional (even though both my LP's have weight-relief); it could be that bit that sells it for me.

I picked up one of these and I think it might be exactly what you are looking for:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Traditional-Flame-Top.aspx

For more accurate pictures (Gibson is infamous for posting extremely unrealistic pictures on their website) I have a recent thread going on it!

I picked up one of these and I think it might be exactly what you are looking for:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Traditional-Flame-Top.aspx

For more accurate pictures (Gibson is infamous for posting extremely unrealistic pictures on their website) I have a recent thread going on it!

If it weren't for the limitation in finishes, I would probably be all over one of those. Not a big fan of HCS; but I'll see if there's one at my local and go with how it feels. I could warm to the finish. That flame figuring on the AAA-grade is gorgeous!

Archived