Gibson Brands Forums

2012 LP Standard 9th Fret Experience

Clew In

I have a 2012 Les Paul Standard that i purchased new and this past weekend the pearly plastic at the 9th fret fell out.

Any one else have this problem with the pearly plastic pieces falling out?

Never before experienced or heard about that. There should be no problem for a luthier either glueing it back again, or making a new one and glueing it into place.

Yes - I had two fretboard inlays come loose on my '12 LP Standard. I super glued them back down with a type of super glue that's not very viscous, just the really thin, runny kind.

That happened on my '06 studio about 2 years ago or so and i also used some super glue. I haven't had any problems but i sort of regret not taking it to my guy to properly fix.

That happened on my '06 studio about 2 years ago or so and i also used some super glue. I haven't had any problems but i sort of regret not taking it to my guy to properly fix.

Why the regret?

I used some glue, clamps and wooden strips to put constant pressure on the pearly plastic and it looks like new now.

All of my fret markers on all of my guitars are long tenon, I don't have this problem.

rct

Does the long tenon keep the 9th fret from flexing? Do you think the flex is why they break free and fall off?

That IS the proper way to fix it. You didn't know you were a luthier, did you? [thumbup]

Archived