Gibson Brands Forums

Why not more solid color finish options?

pwrmac7600

Don't get me wrong, I like a nice figured top as much as the next person, But I also really dig plain top solid finishes as well. I once saw a custom shop standard, that has a silver sparkle top with a black back, almost looked like silver glitter, the top just jumped right off the guitar, it was beautiful! Maybe a nice Solid red, blue, or even Purple finish with black back, and cream binding. I just wish they offered more solid color finishes, I don't need all of my guitars to have that vintage vibe.

Thoughts? arguments? flaming for starting another thread that others may find mundane? [rolleyes]

Don't get me wrong, I like a nice figured top as much as the next person, But I also really dig plain top solid finishes as well. I once saw a custom shop standard, that has a silver sparkle top with a black back, almost looked like silver glitter, the top just jumped right off the guitar, it was beautiful! Maybe a nice Solid red, blue, or even Purple finish with black back, and cream binding. I just wish they offered more solid color finishes, I don't need all of my guitars to have that vintage vibe.

Thoughts? arguments? flaming for starting another thread that others may find mundane? [rolleyes]

It's a good question. You see many solid colours on Fender and other marques, but very few on Gibson models. I opted for an Alpine White Les Paul over a sunburst this time round. My first Les Paul was a HC 'burst, I picked that one up mainly for the sound, but secondarily because the top was divine.

I'd happily buy solid colour tops if they were available. Candy Apple Red would be lovely to match my Strat.

Perhaps because with the obvious exceptions of Gold-Top and Ebony (and, latterly, White) on a Les Paul solid colours simply lack Breeding/History/Class?

OK, J/K! Put down the flaming torches already!

Believe it or not (which, I am abashed to say, simply means believe it) Gibson has often offered LPs in various (but few) solid colours from as far back as the late '50s.

As well as these there have been several 'Sparkle' finishes available for those who feel that way inclined - professionally speaking.

But these finishes as a collective group are simply not perceived, by Hoi Polloi / Riff-Raff, as being even remotely as attractive as those offered in, let us say, a tasteful 'burst.

Consequently solid colour LPs have always sold in FAR smaller numbers but, worryingly from a buisness point of view, have taken FAR longer to sell and this business pattern has, understandably, meant that Gibson has chosen to offer the lion's share of LPs to us in some form of the pre-mentioned "Tasteful 'burst".

'Demand and Supply' rather than 'Supply and Demand'.

P.

Perhaps because with the obvious exceptions of Gold-Top and Ebony (and, latterly, White) on a Les Paul solid colours simply lack Breeding/History/Class?

OK, J/K! Put down the flaming torches already!

Believe it or not (which, I am abashed to say, simply means believe it) Gibson has often offered LPs in various (but few) solid colours from as far back as the late '50s.

As well as these there have been several 'Sparkle' finishes available for those who feel that way inclined - professionally speaking.

But these finishes as a collective group are simply not perceived, by Hoi Polloi / Riff-Raff, as being even remotely as attractive as those offered in, let us say, a tasteful 'burst.

Consequently solid colour LPs have always sold in FAR smaller numbers but, worryingly from a buisness point of view, have taken FAR longer to sell and this business pattern has, understandably, meant that Gibson has chosen to offer the lion's share of LPs to us in some form of a "Tasteful 'burst".

'Demand and Supply' rather than 'Supply and Demand'.

P.

Yeah i get all that, and I know sparkle tops are not for everyone and therefore they would not produce those in mass quantity, but even standard colors, red, blue,green, orange, etc, etc, etc... and offer them more than just sometimes. Maybe don't produce as many of them each year as you would say a heritage cherry burst. But at least make the color options available, make a smaller run of them, and that way the people who want the solid colors can order them. it's not like they have to retool to spray a batch of guitars a different color. [-o<

at least make the color options available, make a smaller run of them, and that way the people who want the solid colors can order them.

It's not like they have to retool to spray a batch of guitars a different color. eusa_pray.gif

Honestly, I know where you are coming from, pwrmac, but even over here in London (where we get fewer of the 'oddballs' to begin with) I've seen solid/sparkle finish LPs hanging on the walls for several years - and I mean that literally - before they finally disappear - possibly at a considerable discount.

The vast majority of LP buyers - yourself, perhaps, notwithstanding - clearly don't much like solid-colours.

Otherwise the ones which ARE offered would be snatched-up as soon as they hit the streets.

And that certainly isn't happening over here in the UK.

As far as how simple it is to swap between colours in the spray-booth?

No idea.

P.

If it was about me, they could give up making any solid coloured guitars and basses.

Regardless of model or timbers, my preference always was and still is an uncoloured finish without any covering of the surface. This kind of make is rather rare, and so I own just six natural or - compromised - antique natural finished instruments. Five of these are Gibsons, and just one of them didn't have a pickguard stock. All the others of any brand don't allow for removing it.

Solid colours don't bother me that much on instrument tops which are forcibly covered by a pickguard to a large extent as most Fenders, but I prefer a wooden look of these, too.

Over the years I ended up buying more instruments with opaque black, white, blue, red, and tan finishes than I own natural ones, but believe me, they offered me no other choice then. Luckily all of my Les Paul guitars are transparently or translucently finished, but sadly no natural one here, too.

If it was about me, they could give up making any solid coloured guitars and basses.

Regardless of model or timbers, my preference always was and still is an uncoloured finish without any covering of the surface. This kind of make is rather rare, and so I own just six natural or - compromised - antique natural finished instruments. Five of these are Gibsons, and just one of them didn't have a pickguard stock. All the others of any brand don't allow for removing it.

Solid colours don't bother me that much on instrument tops which are forcibly covered by a pickguard to a large extent as most Fenders, but I prefer a wooden look of these, too.

I'm with you capmaster. I say ban all solid colour finishes. Should be totally illegal resulting in the confiscation of woods which should be better used.

If I am paying thousands for a Les Paul, I would prefer to see the nice wood I paid for. I would like to see more transparent one color tops.

I do like those sparkle tops though, oddly.

See I look at it from another angle. If I am paying thousands for a guitar I would like to be able to get it in more color variation. but with that said I could settle for trans solid colors as well.

...I could settle for trans solid colors as well...

Surprisingly (well, it surprised me!) there are currently quite a few a few trans colour options out there, pwrmac.

I had a quick look and I have to say I've never seen so many trans-colour finishes offered before.

Firstly the two recent 'Slash' sigs in different hues of red;

http://www2.gibson.c...n-Les-Paul.aspx

http://www2.gibson.c...a-Les-Paul.aspx

But even the standard (pun) range of LPs sees single-hue trans finishes on a wide variety of models;

The current Standard and Standard Plus can be had in Brilliant Red finish;

Les Paul Standard Premium in offered in Rootbeer;

The 'Mellow Out Green' and 'Peaceful Orange' of the LP Peace;

Ocean Blue and Wine Red on the Trads;

Caribbean Blue on the LP Sig.

Seafoam Green on the Classic;

So, for the time being, that's eight different trans-colours across the LP range.

Some models are offered in more than the ones listed but I avoided duplication for simplicity.

With the exception of the ubiquitous 'Ebony' solid-finishes are very much notable by their absence.

Is this a passing phase, I wonder?.......

:-k

P.

I would just one day love to be able to purchase a deep lush purple les paul standard with black back and sides, and a nice cream binding, without having to pay custom shop prices to get it. That's all, is that so much to ask??? lol [confused]

i'd love to buy a white studio, strip it down and go back together with uncovered black pickups and all black hardware. Sam Ash had one like this awhile back and in my opinion it looks great. Everytime the guy on Ebay that sells the gutted LP bodies has a white one, I think about this. Someday......

Archived