Gibson Brands Forums

Any thoughts on this?

strumbert

These were around before from about 2007 to 2010. Then, prices ranged from a high "street" price of $399 to a low of $149 when they were blown out by Musician's Friend.

Though advertised as short scale (which would be spec for a Gibson J-45), I remember then much talk that the Epiphone version was long-scale, which would be typical for Epiphone.

I haven't played one, but I would expect that if it were long-scale, there would be little difference between this and an AJ-200, except for the pickguard and tuners. That's a well-regarded guitar for the price, and this one should be, too.

The nut width is listed as 1.72, which is a bit wider than the AJ-200's, and very close to a Gibson J-45's (usually around 1.725). If so, that may mean the '63 AJ-45 is more than just cosmetically different from AJ-200. Maybe it even means Epiphone has used a different-than-usual neck profile for this guitar, and it is indeed short-scale. Who knows until we get our hands on it.

EDIT on 6/27: On some sites, the top of this '63 RI is issued as select rather than solid. If true, that would be a big difference between this and the AJ 200S, and the previous '63 RI, I believe.

On the other hand, a 1.72" nut width also means that Epiphone continues to apply haphazard naming convention and/or historic features (or both!) to Gibson copies. A '63 Gibson J-45 would have had a much slimmer nut width, as necks were quite skinny in those days!

Red 333

I just got one the other day in the wine red finish. Very nice, looks stained and not painted. Played an older J-45, and decided I wanted that feel, but didn't' have that much cash. For me the neck feels great, and surprisingly like the J-45. Not a boomer, but really nice tone up and down the neck. Eventually will upgrade to bone nut and saddle, but I really like it so far.

The red and black are in stock and the VS is expected in by the beginning of July.

With Epiphone planning to reissue a Masterbilt version sometime this year (hopefully), I don't think you could go wrong for that price.

Manufacturer refurbished of the same model are selling on e-bay for at least $299. Too much for a refurbished in mind.

My preference would be to wait for the VS to get in and buy that.

Since i have the Masterbilt AJ-500MNS, I'm waiting for the Masterbilt reissue.

But I say go for it.

Though advertised as short scale (which would be spec for a Gibson J-45), I remember then much talk that the Epiphone version was long-scale, which would be typical for Epiphone.

Red 333

The one to find is the AJ45S from 1998-2002?

I bought one new in 1998 and the Peerless factory got everything right minis the goofy headstock, if you can find a photo you will see.

Back to back with my Gibson 1942 RI J45 it was really close, not the round bottom of their J160Es that I still own but the correct shape and scale.

Tone wise it sounded like a "dry" version of my real J45 but it had the Gibson tone.

Sold it to buy my AJ500ME in burst, have regretted that move ever since.

It sold local and still look now and then hoping it pops up, I would know in a minute from the top grain.

Nice. That does look pretty close to the correct Gibson slope shape. It was short-scale, too?

Red 333

Red Yes is was the correct 24 3/4.

Back to back with my J45 almost identical in shape, minus the goofy veneer headstock.

I know you have both Epiphones and Gibsons too.

Most of the Epiphone bodies are off, not bent or shaped right, not as deep etc.......

This guitar was as close as Gibson would let them get to a J45. Too close maybe and only why available for a few years. I am aware of the masterbuilt J45 but different price range.

It had the Gibson tone just more "dry" not the pretty harmonic overtones as the Gibson.

It did need constant string changes though, once the strings went dead on it unlike my J45 the tone really suffered and became more of the plywood the rest of it was minus the top. Finally used the coated strings when they came out.

I am always on the look out for another but they seem rare.

I really regret selling it to order my AJ500M in burst I have mentioned in the past.

Red Yes is was the correct 24 3/4.

Back to back with my J45 almost identical in shape, minus the goofy veneer headstock.

I've got to admit, I never thought Epiphone made a short-scale slope. Always assumed those who said the various AJ-45's were long-scale were correct. Fascinating. I would love to be proved wrong about the newly reissued '63 AJ-45 and the forthcoming Masterbilt AJ-45, too.

I like the veneer on he headstock in your picture. My Fuller's 1939 J-35 RI has a mahogany veneer on its headstock, though it's a bit darker.

Sorry you never warmed up to the Masterbilt AJ-500M. I have nothing but appreciation for the Masterbilts. Maybe on of these new J-45's will do the trick for you, and you can trade your AJ-500M toward it or for it.

Red 333

I have one of the LTD ED 1963 J-45's made in 2006. It's the one guitar I don't mind leaving out on a stand for just fooling around on.

The action was terrible when I got it, as the previous owner had sanded down the B compensated saddle way to far. A new bone saddle and

pins from Bob Colosi and this little economy guitar sounds great. Not Masterbilt great , but plenty good for my entertainment.

IMGP0460.jpg

I added this edit to my first post above:

EDIT on 6/27: On some sites, the top of this '63 RI is issued as select rather than solid. If true, that would be a big difference between this and the AJ 200S, and the previous '63 RI, I believe.

Red 333

I've got to admit, I never thought Epiphone made a short-scale slope. Always assumed those who said the various AJ-45's were long-scale were correct. Fascinating. I would love to be proved wrong about the newly reissued '63 AJ-45 and the forthcoming Masterbilt AJ-45, too.

I like the veneer on he headstock in your picture. My Fuller's 1939 J-35 RI has a mahogany veneer on its headstock, though it's a bit darker.

Sorry you never warmed up to the Masterbilt AJ-500M. I have nothing but appreciation for the Masterbilts. Maybe on of these new J-45's will do the trick for you, and you can trade your AJ-500M toward it or for it.

Red 333

The Peerless factory run of the AJ45S from 1998-2002? was 24 3/4 for a fact.

The 1963 J45 that came later I can't say as did not own or ever play one.

Trading the AJ500ME towards anything I don't see ever happening.

I posted on this guitar years ago here when new and it was/is a complete disaster.

I think they used a lot of uncured wood in these guitars and have seen the AJs all over the place with cracks. New at name your store back in the day. I live in Chicago land and saw a lot at the GCs, Sam Ash, and local stores and would let the sales guys know. One guy I knew at GC for years said yeah they constantly cracked and kept pulling those from the walls and sending them back.

If you guys like the Masterbuilts great.

I owned a DR500M that was nice and no build issues but never found an AJ that was worth buying or did not have the same issues as mine.

Anyone wanting to buy a Masterbuilt AJ I would say buy used. I say that as any wood curing issues or shifting would have happened so if the top or back has not cracked by now or the top and bridge have not humped or bridge came off as on some early ones you got a good one.

The issues with mine started in the first several months new and I had already buffed the guitar out voiding the warranty or Sweetwater doing an exchange as I had altered the guitar.

Took the guitar to 3 different techs and everyone said uncured wood and/or "suspect materials".

It finally settled in the first year to what it is now but has a random buzz when you hit certain notes due to a loose brace or bridge plate.

For the cost of the guitar and its issues not worth the price of complete check of every brace, glue joint etc.

I bought from Sweetwater as they had the burst in stock and no one else did, will never buy an acoustic online again, from anyone. No slam on Sweetwater. They were cool about the problem offering at my cost to ship them the guitar and they would put in their shop but again I had altered by having it buffed out so no exchange.

They contacted me when I did a negative review on the guitar warning people of the issues and watch it for a time and if problems show up return ASAP. They refused to post the review.

There are many posts on the net about the same issues mine had, cracking, top humping, bridges falling off etc.

Glad you guys got good ones, mine was one of the problem ones.

It sits unplayed or left at practice where I don't really care what happens to it.

Archived