Gibson Brands Forums

New Vs and Explorer

Rabs

So.. those wanting a V or Explorer heres the new ones :)

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Flying-V/Gibson-USA/Flying-V-History.aspx

DSVHACCH1-Hero_zpsa16bfb37.jpg

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Flying-V/Gibson-USA/Flying-V-120.aspx

DV120EBCH1-Hero-2_zpsdd278ea1.jpg

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Explorer/Gibson-USA/Explorer-120.aspx

DX120HCCH1-Hero_zps3ea3c948.jpg

Ohh and those thinking "those Vs look exactly the same" which was my first thought, check the side shots

DSVHACCH1-Side-Shot_zps5b3d55f0.jpg

DV120EBCH1-Side-Shot_zpsf10336d4.jpg

The first thing which caught me eye were the p'up rings on the top V.

I've never seen those on a large p'guarded V before.

And the neck-set angle had me wondering 'How do they get the bridge geometry right?'

But then I noticed the neck is raised from the deck in the 'flat' one and the bridge is lower.

Nice. I like them. Apart from the witch-hats.

And I've always (well, since 1976) wanted an Explorer...

That one would do. Classic looks; chrome hardware; bound neck.

No nubs but other than that...what's not to like?

P.

The first thing which caught me eye were the p'up rings on the top V.

I've never seen those on a large p'guarded V before.

And the neck-set angle had me wondering 'How do they get the bridge geometry right?'

But then I noticed the neck is raised from the deck in the 'flat' one and the bridge is lower.

Nice. I like them. Apart from the witch-hats.

And I've always (well, since 1976) wanted an Explorer...

That one would do. Classic looks; chrome hardware; bound neck.

No nubs but other than that...what's not to like?

P.

Yeah that's a nice one.. When they had the faded explorers and Vs out I almost got one of those explorers which didn't have a bound neck but apart from that was not too dissimilar to the one above and was a great price cos of the faded finish. BUT in the end I actually ended up ordering a faded cherry V, but when it came in from their other shop it turned out to be a V standard which they then let me have for the price of the faded cos they were all out of stock at that point :)

The headstocks are different on the V's. One is the more pointier one and one is the less pointier one. The bottom one looks bent. Not a fan of a bound neck on V's or Explorers. To me they don't look right.

Thinner body, volute and rounded headstock, more like 70's V's. The other one may be more like earlier V's, thicker and pointier with no volute like late 60's possibly. Late 50's were definitely pretty thick in comparison not sure about the thickness of the late 60's models. not sure where the binding fits in but don't like it either.

Archived