Gibson Brands Forums

What songs are you working on lately??? (version ii)

onewilyfool

Ooo...there's an idea -- what would be a couple of Western Swing tunes folks who grew up in the 40s/50s would recognize?

P

Stay a Little Longer, Roly Poly, Big Balls in Cowtown, Deep Water. And, from a later period, Night Life.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With all due respect to Mick... It ain't quite the same as coming from Waylon. Heck, I even felt a bit odd singing it because it was the honky tonks in Dakota for me, not Texas where it's a bit overcrowded. <grin>

m

This is a link to the last known live vid of the late, great Richard Lieberson, one of the best western swing players I ever saw. He played with The Central Park Shieks, a truly fun string band that played up and down the Lower Hudson Valley when I was in college in Poughkeepsie. Many great players came through the region in the late sixties-early seventies.

I hope these pages still function, if any swing fans care to check them out. Maybe you can still sample their songs here...

https://archive.org/details/cps74-05-xx-AUD.fob

I love playing 'Mother Nature's Son' too BK, but find it hard to sing against the cadence of the guitar. Also, starting with the intro in D, I can't seem to stop it from morphing into '4 and 20' as the first couple of notes are the same.

Back to Mother Nature's Son for a mo....

These instructional Youtubers are pretty good and if we cant play the tune after this, we never will:

BluesKing777.

More below.

For me a couple of Marshall Tucker songs: Fire on the Mountain, and Heard it in a love song. Also, Hank Williams & George Thorogood versions (acoustic & electric) of "Move it on over."

Aster

Archived