Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - Derek Trucks SG

Voodoo Monkey

Thank you Jim Zep. I have been cleaning house on my guitar collection as of late. This SG i actually returned. Great guitar but a little too neck heavy on this particular guitar. In the past two months I have sold my Firebird, 335 and one of my Les Pauls.

It's always a matter of advantages versus shortcomings to one's personal taste. So eventually it may turn out this way when the honeymoon is over.

LOL. Sometimes an SG will be just too neck heavy and other times they are fine. This one was heavy. If i take my left hand off the neck the guitar moves drastically. [omg]

The Maestro housing on the Derek Trucks model acts as a counterweight for the neck. This makes me wonder how neck-heavy it would be without it. [crying]

Neck heaviness varies among SGs and other guitars as well, even Fender Telecasters. I think when making SGs, they should take care for using necks of lower density timbers and take denser blanks for cutting out the bodies.

Well, whatever...I just think there must have been more to it, than just "neck heavy?"

I mean, a good gripping strap, will effectively counteract neck heaviness. It was such

a unique guitar, even for that version, with that aswesome grain pattern. But, agian,

that's just me, and it wasn't my guitar. So...??? [tongue][unsure]

CB

Well, whatever...I just think there must have been more to it, than just "neck heavy?"

I mean, a good gripping strap, will effectively counteract neck heaviness. It was such

a unique guitar, even for that version, with that aswesome grain pattern. But, agian,

that's just me, and it wasn't my guitar. So...??? [tongue][unsure]

CB

Unfortunately, there are guitars and basses where a strap is unable to prevent neck diving. The very problem turns out to be the upper strap knob's position at the back of the neck joint. While the upper strap end is staying in place, the instruments rotates around the upper strap knob, neck downwards, body upwards.

Honestly, I have to control my Gibson SG basses with my right forearm. Both of them are short scale, 30.5" to be exact. Once I tried out a 34" long scale Epiphone EB-3. This experience changed my life forever. Compared to this particular model, there's no other neck-heavy instrument. [crying]

Well, I guess what it boils down to, for me, is that I've never purchased any guitar with

the dreaded "neck dive!" Nor would I. As I said, I've only actually played one, an Epiphone

G-400, that had any kind of neck heavy feeling. When I picked out all of my current SG's,

I had the good fortune to "cherry pick" from several, of each model, that my dealer

had in stock. They were ALL nicely balanced, and the one's with Maestro's tended

more toward body heavy (although, not uncomforatably so, and really, barely noticeable),

So...maybe I've just been "Lucky" in the "neck heavy" regard???

CB

As I posted above, the neck/body balance of SGs and other guitars may vary. All of my sixstring SG guitars from 2.8 to 3.4 kilograms (circa 6 lbs 3 oz to 7 lbs 8 oz) are fine, but I met some which were not balanced to my like.

However, I just couldn't find SG basses with a balance close to that of fine SG guitars, so I went with the best I could get. I love their tone. [biggrin]

As I posted above, the neck/body balance of SGs and other guitars may vary. All of my sixstring SG guitars from 2.8 to 3.4 kilograms (circa 6 lbs 3 oz to 7 lbs 8 oz) are fine, but I met some which were not balanced to my like.

However, I just couldn't find SG basses with a balance close to that of fine SG guitars, so I went with the best I could get. I love their tone. [biggrin]

SG Basses, I would understand being more likely to be "neck heavy" even with the shorter scale,

that the SG bases have. Plus, the headstock is larger, as are the tuners...all add weight.

[biggrin]

CB

Archived