Gibson Brands Forums

Ummmmmm, Ummm!

charlie brown

That was great CB. Thanks for posting it.

Speaking of EC does any one happen to know the style neck he uses, and the string gauge, and is he using a bone stock Strat or does he have the pick ups modified to his specs

Just wondering

V neck from an old Martin he used to have, Ernie Ball Supers #2223, 09 - 42, Vintage Noiseless pickups which are a sort of Lace Sensor knock-off.

Yer welcome.

rct

Speaking of EC does any one happen to know the style neck he uses, and the string gauge, and is he using a bone stock Strat or does he have the pick ups modified to his specs

Just wondering

You're quite welcome. It's Just a nice/great reminder! [thumbup]

CB

Just wondering

LOL!

Plus an active mid-boost in some of his Strats (the ones that sound like chainsaws).

This! I knew I forgot some key ingredient of his foul tone soup. Gad I hate that sound.

rct

This! I knew I forgot some key ingredient of his foul tone soup. Gad I hate that sound.

rct

Yeah, I must admidt, as much as I love EC, I MUCH prefer his old "Gibson" (Les Paul, SG, 335)

tone, to that of his Strat. There are songs, though, that I like his Strat tone. Lay Down

Sally, the J.J. Cale stuff, and other's of that ilk. But, for most, I'd prefer the Gibson/Marshall tone.

Or, even Gibson-Fender Twin, tone. What he could do, with a good "Telecaster" might be nice, too!

But, that's just Me! :rolleyes:[biggrin]

CB

Yeah, I must admidt, as much as I love EC, I MUCH prefer his old "Gibson" (Les Paul, SG, 335)

tone, to that of his Strat. There are songs, though, that I like his Strat tone. Lay Down

Sally, the J.J. Cale stuff, and other's of that ilk. But, for most, I'd prefer the Gibson/Marshall tone.

Or, even Gibson-Fender Twin, tone.

I liked his sounds for the most part, except for the brief half cocked wah days, up until the dreaded Lace Sensors.

What he could do, with a good "Telecaster" might be nice, too!

Georges concert for Bangladesh! I think that one. And some of the Delaney and Bonnie stuff he had a tele with him.

rct

I liked his sounds for the most part, except for the brief half cocked wah days, up until the dreaded Lace Sensors.

Georges concert for Bangladesh! I think that one. And some of the Delaney and Bonnie stuff he had a tele with him.

rct

Interesting. I only remember seeing the Gibson Byrdland ("Natural") with him, for Bangladesh.

And, I think he even (later) admitted "he used it, when he actually probably shouldn't have, for

those kinds of songs."

As to the D&B gigs, I've only seen photos, never got to see him perform with them. Most of the

photos show him using "Blackie" (Strat), or a black Les Paul Custom, 2-pickup version. But, maybe

the telecaster wasn't ever photographed, or used that often? I know he used one (Red, I think) in

his early days with the Yardbirds, before his 335. There are films, and photos, of that.

Here, he's seen playing a Gretsch (Double cutaway) "Nashville," as well.

http://www.formidablemag.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/formidablemag-yardbirds-32.jpg

CB

Yessiree!!!

I loved this era!

Even better after his "From The Cradle" album came out...

I saw him live during that tour. My concert them was entitled; "Eric Clapton: an evening of nothing but the blues"

Jimmy Vaughan opened for him. It was a great show circa Y2K...

I was a little put-off as he didn't take a solo for like the first half hour of the show. I figured he was just aging or it was the style he wanted to play now...

Then he tore into a version of Buddy Guy's rendition of Eddie Boyd's "Five Long Years" where he walked up to the very edge of the stage and had his toes over-hanging the front edge of the stage and he simply tore the house down with a solo that was white hot with electricity and utter untouchability...

The rest of the show was much the same!

He was my first guitar hero and will remain forever so...

Back in the day he was the standard bar by which me and my friends measured all guitarists... He led us to so many of the original pioneers of the blues that we/I owe him such a debt of gratitude for...

Back in the day he was the standard bar by which me and my friends measured all guitarists... He led us to so many of the original pioneers of the blues that we/I owe him such a debt of gratitude for...

yep, same here. since i was 13 or 14, reading the backs of his albums, and who wrote the songs. i'd think who is this McKinley Morganfield , Willie Dixon, Chester Burnett ... so I'd go do my homework and find out who they were.

yep, same here. since i was 13 or 14, reading the backs of his albums, and who wrote the songs. i'd think who is this McKinley Morganfield , Willie Dixon, Chester Burnett ... so I'd go do my homework and find out who they were.

I was reading an article in Guitar Player or something and he made the statement; "Buddy Guy, is by far and away, the greatest guitarist alive."

I was blown away by him describing someone else as a master when I thought, at the time, "Clapton is God."

I had to know what that was all about and I discovered not only was he right, but that there was so much more out there from his talking about Albert King, Otis Rush, Freddie King, all names I'd never heard of, and I just had to know it for myself, if the man I considered the master and commander of all things Guitar, was preaching and praising the American Blues pioneers and originators that were right in my own back yard...

It led me to meet personally the likes of Buddy Guy and Junior Wells etc and have some once in a lifetime personal experiences and to be able to have seen not only Buddy Guy live many many times, but to have in my lifetime been able to have personally see Otis Rush, Hubert Sumlin, Johnny Clyde Copeland, Jimmy Rogers, Lonnie Mack, and so many more great originals live and in-person...

I can't thank Slow-Hand and my Limey Guitar Gods enough for bringing them to my attention!

Archived