Gibson Brands Forums

2014 gibson smeck stage delux reissue (WHO HAS PLAYED)

markwillplay

Sorry, Mark, no I haven't played it. Didn't want to leave you hangin' w/ no info, though. Did you see the post at the AGF? Dave's has the Gibson Montana Stage DeLuxe Limited Edition. Not much info on their listing (copious body depth-yes/no? <- a key feature in any Smeck reissue), but poster MaurysMusic contributed some nice info on the different Trance Audio Amulet offerings:

Stage DeLuxe Ltd Ed topic on AGF

The specs show it having the same nut width as the Jackson Browne. I, too, got the sense that the thinner neck profile of the JB belied the generous 1.805" nut width. Who knows, maybe someone at Dave's has played both guitars, & could answer your questions. If not, they offer 48hr, no ?'s asked, U pay shipping return policy.

• 3 months later...

I just picked up a used 2014 Stage Deluxe Limited from Dave's Guitar shop.

Sounds pretty amazing acoustically and plugged in. Smells great, too. :)

Pictures - and a hick review? Here's how on posting pictures http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/11005-sticky-how-to-post-photos/

Is the neck thickness shallow, or full? How does it feel? I have the Jackson Browne, with the neck described as "shallow" by mark - though it doesn't feel shallow, unless I pick up the Legend, which has the hi=uge full profile neck.

I have the Jackson Browne, with the neck described as "shallow" by mark - though it doesn't feel shallow, unless I pick up the Legend, which has the hi=uge full profile neck.

That's the Luthier's Choice neck profile. The board is so wide (over 1 3/4" at the nut) that if it were a deep profile, you would be hard-pressed to get your hand around it. Once you get used to it, it's a very comfortable profile for fingerpicking. But I've got calluses on the inside of my thumb from wrapping bass notes.

It's the neck I have on my Fuller's '43 SJ re-issue. Not to everybody's taste, but I've grown to really like it. I'd like to play the neck on the J-45 Legend for comparison. I know the sectional shapes are totally different, but I suspect the total girth is similar.

I had the Luthier's Choice neck on the SJ I moved to get the Legend, loved that neck. The Legend simply is bigger - at least girth wise, nut width I don't think was any different, but because of the girth you can really tell a difference. I have a callous on the inside of my left thumb too - started about the time I got that SJ. I still want to see a picture BBQ - I think that sounds like a terrific model. I cannot see the Smeck on the Gibson site, interestingly though I can still see the JB. Maybe these haven't been discontinued ? Wonder if the specs between these 2 models actually differ at all except for B&S?

The neck is a bit thinner than I like but at least it's wide. I have an '85 Gibson J45 with a ballbat neck that sounds unequalled. I love the sound of the S.D. Although it needs to open up a bit. I don't think I would pay the normal $4000 for one of these but if you can find a used one, nab it!post-67806-060365000 1412042705_thumb.jpg

The neck is a bit thinner than I like but at least it's wide. I have an '85 Gibson J45 with a ballbat neck that sounds unequalled. I love the sound of the S.D. Although it needs to open up a bit. I don't think I would pay the normal $4000 for one of these but if you can find a used one, nab it!post-67806-060365000 1412042705_thumb.jpg

Small 30's burst, script logo - that is a thing of pure beauty.

I had the Luthier's Choice neck on the SJ I moved to get the Legend, loved that neck. The Legend simply is bigger - at least girth wise, nut width I don't think was any different, but because of the girth you can really tell a difference. I have a callous on the inside of my left thumb too - started about the time I got that SJ. I still want to see a picture BBQ - I think that sounds like a terrific model. I cannot see the Smeck on the Gibson site, interestingly though I can still see the JB. Maybe these haven't been discontinued ? Wonder if the specs between these 2 models actually differ at all except for B&S?

There is nothing on the Gibson site about it, in fact I called them about it before I bought the guitar. I dont't remember his exact words but the "Stage Deluxe Limited" is one of their "Guitars of the Month"(?) and they do so many custom models per month in such limited quantities (40 on this one) that they don't bother putting up spec sheets. Here again, I don't remember exact wording. Plus there are absolutely NO references to Roy Smeck with this model, although it's pretty inferred. :) Once I figure out how to properly post photos, I'll put up a few. The main differences between this and the JB are: JB has walnut back and sides, STEREO Amulet p/u system, and the headstock logo on the JB is M.O.P. inlay where the S.D.L. is a white decal :(

Archived