Gibson Brands Forums

Why did they ruin the new explorer, v, and v history with that horrid 120 fret marker?

pwrmac7600

I'm no fan of the 120th Anniversary fret inlay, but I was far more disappointed by the price-hike for the Explorer and V. REALLY disappointed. $1200 and Gibson would have my money by now. $2,000? No.

exactly. the price is mad, and i don't see why.

although,yes.. a white version of the guitar wouldnt hurt

+1

I know there are purists out there but really? I have a 2014 traditional LP and I just got a 2014 Flying V History today. The V may be the best sounding guitar I have! I'm a die hard LP guy. I have 4 LP's, 2 SG's, an explorer and now a V. IMHO it looks cool to have a different 12th fret inlay. The V's are a limited Run.

I checked out a explorer 120 yesterday and loved it.

I don't mind the anniversary fret marker at all.......it didn't appear as big as it was in the pictures. hardly noticed it.

NHTom

i bought my les paul BECAUSE of that inlay, i really like it. i would waaaayyyy rather have bought an explorer but there were none available at the time. just as well, because i'm just not desperate or wealthy enough to pay such a ridiculous price for one. i'm hoping it doesn't raise the price of the used ones out there. if that happens, i'm sending a team of robot nazi zombie ninjas to kill henry j. well, if i can find any. those guys are pretty tough to locate. [tongue]

The fret marker is an improvement over the horrible headstock silkscreen they used on the SG 50th anniversary model, I hate the inlay but I would rather have that on my SG.

I do not get why Gibson must advertise anniversaries on instruments, why not add a small silkscreen, stamp or plate on the back of the headstock?

My SG, look at that big arse logo on the headstock...the 120th inlay does not look too bad anymore.

DSCF1908-1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

How about why did Gibson discontinue the good old fashioned 1976 Reissue Explorer? And why did they ruin the Les Paul Classic? And why are the prices going up when the QC is clearly going down at an exponential rate? It's probably going to be a very long time before I spend my hard-earned money on a new Gibson guitar again.

Although I don't care about Anniversary inlays on fret boards or on head stocks, the 120th scroll is not in my opinion bad looking or hardly noticeable like on my trapezoid fretboard. Look at other Anniversary Inlays in the past they stood out like a sore thumb compared to the scroll. I will say however they have no place on a DOT inlay fretboard, it just doesn't look like it belongs there. With that said, I don't feel it ruins them either. And as far a QC goes there are always some bad apples in every line offered and me personally I think QC is gotten much better especially the last few years, but then again you can't please everyone, but we all work hard for our money and its our choice to spend it or save it. If I hadn't just purchased a 2014 Traditional I'd have to snag a V if possible. At least they made the Flying V and Explorer regardless even if in a limited run and in my opinion that's better than none at all!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived