Gibson Brands Forums

Joe Pass Jazz/Blues Lesson

zigzag

I realize that this will not be interesting to most, and a little advanced for many, but I have listened to this lesson three times today, and this is a treasure trove of good information.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js_f-vbO43I

I find it interesting that Joe will often refer to a chord without referencing its extension/alteration. Many times he says he's playing a 7th when he has added a 9th (or #9) or 13th. Also, I think that it is cool that almost all of his chords are based around barre chords; he doesn't play many inversions except when he plays arpeggios. This means that roots are on the fifth or sixth strings.

I also find it interesting that he says he doesn't get into much theory when, to me, it would be hard to interpret this lesson without knowing theory and chord structure.

It's streaming here in fits and starts. Don't know why. I got the first 3 or 4 mins and then it got stuck. As it's an hour long I can't sit through it now.

I'll certainly come back later, though. Sounds like it's going to be way over my head but what have I got to lose?

Even if I pick up just a handful of percentage points it's going to help!

Thanks for posting!

[thumbup]

P.

Archived