Gibson Brands Forums

Saw the Eagles on Wednesday

IanHenry

I saw The Eagles in 1979 or 1980. I wouldn't bother seeing them today if they were in my backyard. (Unless they brought back Felder and Meisner (and maybe even Leadon) [biggrin]

I was not tempted to see them when they came to town but in '79 or '80 I'd be all over it.

Eagles Live released on 1980 does deviate a bit from the studio versions and even though it is known there are overdubs on that record that Hotel California live version has some of the best trading licks ever. Once you listen to this version the studio version kind of pales in comparison.

So if they were in your backyard, you'd leave your house and let them play for the neighbors? [flapper] [flapper] [flapper]

Maybe I'd put their first few albums on the stereo really loud with the speakers in the window and say "Hey, remember that? That is how great you used to sound. What the %$#@ happened to that?" [lol]

Ever notice that every song that Henley writes sounds angry? When Fry & Henley booted Felder, they quit being the Eagles to me. I saw them with Stuart Duncan taking over for Felder, played all the notes perfectly, but lacked all the soul.

TC

I feel myself, depending of course on the artist(s), torn between craving precise reproductions of my favourites and wishing for less sterile performances. No joy for any performer there, eh? But then, I am a fickle p***k! By the way, I wish I had the talent and ability to complain about my audiences nagging me for songs that I was sick to death of playing for them- I'm actually sick to death of sounding like crap!!! I saw Roxy Music last year, with an impending sense of doom that they'd struggle to match their old selves, sure enough there's an extra sax to make up for Andy Mackay's expected lack of lung power, extra vocalist to help the ancient Ferry but after the first track and a half they seemed to shift into gear( or confidence) and the extras suddenly became superfluous, and the guys smashed it - it was f*****g fantastic! I took an older guy from work with me and had told him" I hope you're not expecting "Avalon" all night, and they proved me right. Shamed a lot of younger bands that I've seen, and they obviously were really enjoying themselves. Only low point of the evening was knowing that given the ages of all, I'm never likely to see it all again...

I saw Don Felder open up for Foreigner & Styx a couple of weeks ago in Chicago.

I didn't know what to expect... Accoustic set ?.. Solo songs I didn't know ?..

His set was KICK ***!

Great versions of Eagles songs + Heavy Metal (cool solo effort I forgot he did).

Tommy Shaw guested as solo lead on Hotel California (spoiler).

I'd see Don Felder again. He was great!!!

My son got to sing on stage w/ Foreigner that night BTW.

WOW!!!

It's surprising how some acts are great live and some are duff. I thought I'd be bored going to see Satriani, but he was great. Def Leppard were the best live act I've seen. I look at gigs now and when I see the price I move on. Some prices now are ridiculous. The booking fees are a rip off too.

Not taking anything away from Walsh, but I've always felt Felder is /was the best guitarist the Eagles ever had.

I fully concur!

I do like Joe very much, but Felder was/is simply superb!

True dat, but Joe is no slough especially on slide. He also knew how to drink everyone under the table and how to wreck a hotel room.

No, Joe's no slouch at all and I do like him and his work very much.

I especially like his James Gang stuff and he actually makes an appearance on a jam with Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac from 1970 at The Boston Tea Party concerts, they seemed to blend very well together!

even Jimmy Page's performances were full of "interesting" notes.

That is "Quote of the year" for me!

All my guitar playing is characterised by my extensive use of "interesting notes"! [biggrin]

A lot of interesting and valid comments in this thread.

One thing that I find kind of ironic about Frye complaining of playing the same songs over and over....in the documentary HOTE, he get's on his high horse and chides Randy Meisner for not wanting to sing "Take It To The Limit" back in the day. Frye goes on about how he laid down the law and told Randy how he WILL sing that song because the good people paid their money to hear him sing it blah blah blah.... +:-@

Some time recently I either heard or read a quote from Alice Cooper. I don't even know what the context was, but I thought it was pretty funny. It was something to the effect "...just because Don Henley is for it, that's enough reason for me to be against it" [lol]

I've been pondering this since the concert, and a some observations I've made that I believe may have contributed to this situation. Firstly the band's entrance was far from spectacular, the light went down and eventually Henly and Fry walked onto the stage with a pair of acoustic Guitars and played a couple of numbers from their first album (one of which had a Mandolin playing, but no evidence of a Mandolin player), then the rest of the band came on one at a time, as required, Joe Walsh's arrival was low key to say the least.

The band never really got into a rocky stride until after they'd taken a break.

You always got the feeling that the rest of the band were only there to pay homage to Glen Fry, but surprisingly, they never played any of Henly or Fry's solo numbers, the only one's played were Walsh's Rocky Mountain Way and Life's Been Good, though Joe substituted the line "they write me letter's, tell me I'm great" with "they write me letter's, tell me Glen's great", which makes you wonder does it not?

In summary, would I go and watch them again? No, it cost me £295 ($493) with accommodation and travel, and I don't believe the show was worth it. Would I buy any new album's that they produced? Probably.

I should mention that the band did do two encores so maybe it's just me and the people that I've spoken to since.

Ian

Don't think it's just you, Ian. There was a "tag" that was attached to them,

even years ago "SchlemEagles!" So, this feeling, or thing has been around, for

some time. "Sour Grapes?" Probably, somewhat. But, a lot of it is from their

own attitude(s), as much as anything else...IMHO. :rolleyes:

Joe Walsh is the best thing about them, IMHO! I loved "The James Gang!"

CB

Archived