Gibson Brands Forums

New V

Jimi Mac

I just got my newsletter from Gibson and it highlights the new, slimmer, Flying V History model...

DSVHACCH1-Hero.jpg

From what I gather they've narrowed the body much like the Les Paul Custom Lite and have gone with the 2 volume controls with a master tone eliminating the tone per pickup control...

While this may be a simpler wiring option, I personally think it's a mistake in a 2 humbucker configured axe. I love having the option of setting very different tones from one pickup to the next and being able to make that change with the flick of a switch rather than hitting the switch and reaching down and adjusting the tone knob...

I like setting the bridge pickup tone knob and the neck pickup tone knob at whatever different settings I prefer for when I'm on that pickup singularly and being able to switch between the two just by changing the selector switch position rather than by readjusting the tone knob every time I make a switch...

I know, I know, they can't please everybody...

I rather suspect it has more to do with cost and profit margin than any specific request by players...

I will admit I'm intrigued by the slimmer body, to which it also appears to be a smaller headstock from what I read...

57 classic in the neck and 57 classic+ in the bridge are nice pickups and are also a huge change from the 496R/500T ultra hot ceramic pickups V's have been coming with for a while... That I like.

Not sure I could deal with the wiring/control configuration, but I'm curious to see how it feels...

From what I gather they've narrowed the body much like the Les Paul Custom Lite and have gone with the 2 volume controls with a master tone eliminating the tone per pickup control...

While this may be a simpler wiring option, I personally think it's a mistake in a 2 humbucker configured axe. I love having the option of setting very different tones from one pickup to the next and being able to make that change with the flick of a switch rather than hitting the switch and reaching down and adjusting the tone knob...

I like setting the bridge pickup tone knob and the neck pickup tone knob at whatever different settings I prefer for when I'm on that pickup singularly and being able to switch between the two just by changing the selector switch position rather than by readjusting the tone knob every time I make a switch...

Hello Jimi!

That`s the traditional wiring of Flying Vs.

The only exception I can recall is the Zakk Wylde Flying V Custom.

I like this model too, with it`s raised neck and the volute. However buying a faded one and changing the pickups in it would be a cheaper alternative.

Cheers... Bence

Hello Jimi!

I like this model too, with it`s raised neck and the volute. However buying a faded one and changing the pickups in it would be a cheaper alternative.

Cheers... Bence

Wow, see there... You learn sumthin' new every day if you keep your eyes and mind open to it...

I didn't know that was the norm/original configuration of a Flying V, I just simply assumed it was the same as a Les Paul or SG and never really looked closely enough to see anything different... Even if I have always wanted one because of Albert King and Lonnie Mack!

...Even if I have always wanted one because of Albert King and Lonnie Mack!

I know what You mean. :)

Mr. King's legendary brown V was made by Mr. Dan Erlewine. It's a beautiful instrument for sure.

Mr. Mack's is a weird one with the Bigsby. I really wonder how reliable it is, but looks crazy indeed! :)

...and I could go on: with Michael Schenker's, the guys in Accept...

A good article here: http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/10-kings-and-queens-of-the-flying-v-0709-2012.aspx

Cheers... Bence

Wow, see there... You learn sumthin' new every day if you keep your eyes and mind open to it...

I didn't know that was the norm/original configuration of a Flying V, I just simply assumed it was the same as a Les Paul or SG and never really looked closely enough to see anything different... Even if I have always wanted one because of Albert King and Lonnie Mack!

I rewired my Explorer the way you were thinking, one volume and two tones, I figured I had more use for setting the tone at different position than I did for blending pickups on this guitar.

Now, this particular V you posted has 57's, I would probably would prefer the two volume controls in this instance.

If this don't twist ya all up inside for a Flying-V, nuthin' will...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVtYKVaz9xY

I got to see this guy live & in-person during the "Attack of the Killer-V" era...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgYzSTiXgcE

Two vastly different and entirely unique Flying-V tones!

Mr. King's legendary brown V was made by Mr. Dan Erlewine. It's a beautiful instrument for sure.

I only know Dan Erlewine by reputation and through his set-up clips. I didn't know he had made a V for Albert King, Bence! I'll have to google it.

The V I associate with AK is his original '58 as seen in the first clip posted by Jimi.

Going back to the V in the OP;

Is it my imagination or does anyone else see a dark 'shadow' area on the top of the peghead where it looks like a pearl-inlay 'Gibson' logo has been photoshop'd out?

:-k

P.

I only know Dan Erlewine by reputation and through his set-up clips. I didn't know he had made a V for Albert King, Bence! I'll have to google it.

Hello Pippy!

Mr. Erlewine wrote about it in His book: "How to make Your guitar play great", also included a setup spec list for it.

It's a brown guitar with LP-style headstock, and the legendary blues guitarist's name inlayed into the fretboard. It's called "Lucy".

http://www.vintageguitar.com/3813/albert-kings-flying-vs/

Best wishes... Bence

You are welcome, Pippy!

Yes. Steven Segall is coming to town soon. I have been already warned by my colleagues, not to miss that great opportunity. As they said, if He is just half as good a guitar player as an...no, I won't continue. :D

Cheers... Bence

Going back to the V in the OP;

Is it my imagination or does anyone else see a dark 'shadow' area on the top of the peghead where it looks like a pearl-inlay 'Gibson' logo has been photoshop'd out?

:-k

P.

Yea, looks like the 70's era logo was blocked with black

Hello Pippy!

Mr. Erlewine wrote about it in His book: "How to make Your guitar play great", also included a setup spec list for it.

It's a brown guitar with LP-style headstock, and the legendary blues guitarist's name inlayed into the fretboard. It's called "Lucy".

http://www.vintagegu...ings-flying-vs/

Best wishes... Bence

Thank you for posting that Bence!

It brings me back! I was literally weeks away from seeing him live. Apparently he had already signed and agreement to make a New England leg of the end of his tour and tickets were about to go on sale. I was all pumped to get tickets when he died...

I cried when I realized it was King #2 I'd never see in person for myself...

I was heartbroken! Still am...

Nobody, but nobody bent with the sheer tonal force of will that Albert did... His bends spoke a language all their own, and everyone understood!

If his playing doesn't grab you by the short-hairs, nothing does!

The man was a God!

I've had it wrong for a bit now about BFG and his light guage strings...

I had it backward and thought it was BB that told him to lighten up the gauge of strings he played, but it was actually Albert!

Hello Jimi!

Cheers... Bence

So funny...

Every V I've looked at since this post is only a 3-knob configuration... I can't believe I glossed-over that fact in my observations for so long...

Could you weigh your new Flying V, please?

I had a Faded a few years back and it just seemed way too light for it's size.

Who?

I'm sorry SteveFord, I don't have one, I was just sharing this new model from my Gibson News-Letter...

If someone said they have one I must have missed that...

Archived