Gibson Brands Forums

guitar center luthiers?

phil325

i need a new setup and unless you can point me to a preferred luthier here in south florida (fort lauderdale/miami area) then i'll have to take it to the guitar center luthier.

my question is, has anyone had their guitar setup there (or any other guitar center for that matter) and what do you think about their work? he said it's $36 + strings.

i know a luthier in my hometown of jacksonville (340 miles away) that i've built a trust with and he usually charges me $75 for a setup but i won't be in town for another couple months. what say ye?

That's a good price for a setup and it's not like much can go wrong other than a poor setup. I've never been to a Guitar Center and would imagine that results will be different at each one since they're all going to have their own techs. At that price, I'd be willing to give them a try - that's almost half of what you pay your regular guy.

I did here in Clearwater/Dunedin, but he was like a private luthier, but employed by, GC. He's done 3 of mine and is good. I don't know how other GC'c do it but....no complaints once all was said and done....

My average cost was app. $75

My prices were all different due to different guitars and problems........Good luck tho bro

Hey Phil, I would go hang around the repair area for a while to see how they run that department. I have seen some real

A**holes and some real professionals. I had one guy tell me my 12 string neck was shot and non repairable and

another guy in a different store fixed it.

No small local shops around?

Good luck

Hey Phil' date=' I would go hang around the repair area for a while to see how they run that department. I have seen some real

A**holes and some real professionals. I had one guy tell me my 12 string neck was shot and non repairable and

another guy in a different store fixed it.

Good luck[/quote']

+10.....if you have one around

Hey Phil' date=' I would go hang around the repair area for a while to see how they run that department. I have seen some real

A**holes and some real professionals.

Good luck[/quote']

yea i spoke with the guy and he seemed like a decent repairman and i see him working on other gibsons. i dont have real faith in him to do pro work but thats just me being skeptical and pessimistic (who wouldn't be when complete strangers work with their les pauls)

i might think about just going with it because yea i was surprised how cheap guitar center does setups. plus he said any other work i needed that he couldn't do he would refer me to people he knew outside of GC so i thought that was cool of him to offer.

Hey fellow south Floridian. Going to the GC in Hallendale is fine if you're just getting a setup done, anything else, don't bother. You may want to go to the one in West Palm though, they're better.

As for local shops around, there aren't any. GC and Scam Cash killed those mom and pop stores. Mainly because to save a dollar fifty people will drive an extra half hour to fourty min to GC or SA than pay for the conveinece of going to the local place.

You may however want to try MAE in Ft. Lauderdale. Ask for Ralph, he's good.

I think Mark has the right approach - no sense bashing the tech until you've talked to them. I think the general rule is that a well-recommended tech is somebody whose name you learned before you walked into the store.

Then again, you're going too far expecting a lutiher to be working in the big box store.

Guitar Center Luthiers is a OXYMORON if there ever was one.

You beat me to it, Axe! I figured I'd scroll down and check out the responses before I posted that, in case anyone else was thinking the same as me...and sure enough, you came through (scary thought)!

You beat me to it' date=' Axe! I figured I'd scroll down and check out the responses before I posted that, in case anyone else was thinking the same as me...and sure enough, you came through (scary thought)![/quote']

HAHA!! And you beat me to it, to you getting to Axe about him beating you to it! LOL.

I totally agree!

i have had a problem with my guitar being setup at GC, it came back buzzing all the way up and down the board. Yes, that can be simply raised up to my preference but I paid the guy to do a good setup. Also got the guitar back with a number of notable dings and dents I know weren't there beforehand. My good friends father in law had the same experience when he took his brand new LP Classic Custom in for an initial setup, came back with 2 nice looking dings near the truss rod cover.

i agree with checking out the guy before you trust him with your babies. It would be unjust to group all the techs/luthiers under GuitarCenters rep. GC doesn't train them...I hope not at least.

Guitar Center Luthiers is a OXYMORON if there ever was one.

The word that immediately popped into my mind when reading the subject line. Ask a few local players where they get their work done. (If you don't know any just go to some bars with live music and ask during a break - guitar players are always willing to talk shop - especially if you buy them a beer). Someone nearby knows what they are doing and probably does work on word of mouth - not out of a corporate big box shop.

That sounds good I have to agree with mark as far as looking into the repair shop to see how they go about their repairs,I'm not sure how true this is but I was told GC bought out a music store chain here in Indiana called Mars music,this place ws like the Chuckey Cheese of music stores it was huge and always full of kids that seemed hyper active from eating too much candy I'd stop in there from time to time and was able to chat with some of the luthier's and checked out there stations to see what kinds of neat toys they had most of them had the general stuff you would find in a repair shop.

So to get to the point I was talking with the main fellow there who did most of the repairs and he told for the most part he did not like dealing with Les Pauls at all I'm sure Guitar center will do a decent job as far as a set up but from talking personally to people one on one about when it comes to repair like re-frets or major repairs most luthiers are afraind of our beloved fretless wander:-)

Archived