Gibson Brands Forums

What about my G-400 neck ??

Scorpion1211

Hi everybody !

I've got an Epi G-400 since ten years, and it's a very good guitar, I feel comfortable on it and since I change the pickups and the wiring, it rocks !

When I put off the neck pickup, I can't see the delimitation of the neck. Here are some pictures :

20140624_194800_zps1061d0c8.jpg

20140624_194815_zpsfbed5f93.jpg

I wonder if the neck ends before the black part or if this black part is part of the neck.

The line that you can see is not the delimitation, it's just in surface.

Any idea ?

I also would like to know what neck profile has my G-400 ? It's thinner than a 50's neck profile, but rounder and thicker than a 60's slim taper profile, so I just don't know what it is !

Thanks a lot ! [wink]

I'm surprised you haven't had a reply but to me it seems what you are looking at - the black wood - is the tenon part of the neck.

I can't say what the neck profile is. My G400 is a 2004 Korean so probably similar to yours. I had always considered the neck 1960s as it is pretty similar to my 1956 Epi Les Paul and Epi Tribute Plus Les Paul both of which are said to have 1960 necks.

I'm surprised you haven't had a reply but to me it seems what you are looking at - the black wood - is the tenon part of the neck.

I can't say what the neck profile is. My G400 is a 2004 Korean so probably similar to yours. I had always considered the neck 1960s as it is pretty similar to my 1956 Epi Les Paul and Epi Tribute Plus Les Paul both of which are said to have 1960 necks.

Thanks for your reply !

So it might be a long-tenon neck ? Well, that's pretty good ! [woot]

This guitar has very good resonance and sustain, so it would not surprise me. [cool]

Concerning the profile, there's so many different ones, it is very hard to know what it is precisely. I've already send a mail to Epiphone, but I have no reply... :-k

They are about the same, but the exact thickness and taper have always varied, even on Gibsons. I know my Samick G400 had a 60s neck but a slightly wider fretboard than my other guitars. The build quality was excellent and the natural, bright resonance of it was the best of any Epi I've played.

For me, the Samick Korean models from around 1999-2001 ("S" serial) were great. Even the pickups are ok through a decent amp.

They are about the same, but the exact thickness and taper have always varied, even on Gibsons. I know my Samick G400 had a 60s neck but a slightly wider fretboard than my other guitars. The build quality was excellent and the natural, bright resonance of it was the best of any Epi I've played.

For me, the Samick Korean models from around 1999-2001 ("S" serial) were great. Even the pickups are ok through a decent amp.

Ok, thanks for the reply.

Mine is a 2004 Korean, U serial. Pickups were not very good, but with great pickups it's a killer guitar !

Archived