Gibson Brands Forums

John with his Epi

Not-Too-Late

And let's not forget the J160e

https://www.google.com/search?q=john+lennon+and+j169e&client=firefox-a&hs=HZS&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&tbm=isch&imgil=r-wVoUWlNlTIvM%253A%253Bhttps%253A%252F%252Fencrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com%252Fimages%253Fq%253Dtbn%253AANd9GcScBuEBvKcLV00WrLvjfE-IrLbhTHegJiYl5YOQ7MGDVzyU9oIUGw%253B1757%253B1145%253BP6ZtC-EGtDcGnM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.theatlantic.com%25252Ffeatures%25252Farchive%25252F2014%25252F06%25252Fthe-power-of-two%25252F372289%25252F&source=iu&usg=__nwhLKkuKxr3yyLPHprJnxFqo6jQ%3D&sa=X&ei=fMOwU5neNs6AoQSZiYHQDw&ved=0CFUQ9QEwDA&biw=1343&bih=600#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=r-wVoUWlNlTIvM%253A%3BP6ZtC-EGtDcGnM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fcdn.theatlantic.com%252Fnewsroom%252Fimg%252Fposts%252F2014%252F06%252F0714_WEL_Collaborations_guitars_V1%252Ff77cf237e.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.theatlantic.com%252Ffeatures%252Farchive%252F2014%252F06%252Fthe-power-of-two%252F372289%252F%3B1757%3B1145

Yeah, I looked for years, for a "round shouldered" J-160E. There just weren't any around,

that I could find. There were a lot of the "square shouldered" later versions, of the J-160E,

but not the round shouldered "Beatles" type. Then, after I'd (basically) stopped looking,

I found one in a little shop, in Glendale, California (where I was living, at that time),

and it was structurally sound (I made sure, of it), but the finish was all but GONE! It

looked so pathetic, and lonely, hanging there all dusty and naked! I took pity on it,

and bought it, for a song. The store owner's son, made up a price (since he really didn't

know what he had), and I wrote out the check right there. A few days later, I went back

to get some strings and other things, and the owner was there. When I wrote my check, again,

for the strings, etc., he noticed my name, right away, and asked me if I had been in, earlier

to purchase the old Gibson J-160E. I said: Yes, that was me! He smiled, shook his head,

and told me: "You KNOW, you "Stole" that, at the price my son sold it to you for, right?!"

I said: "Hey, I asked, he told me, that's what I paid!" He laughed (thankfully), and told

me to enjoy my new old guitar! This was a few years, before all the "Vintage" craze even

started, so I took the guitar to Art Valdez, in Hollywood, who was at that time, a Gibson

Service Center, and he restored it, for me. Now, I may have de-valued it, as a "collectible,"

but, I wasn't thinking of that, at all. Besides, it turned out so well, I'm not a bit sorry,

I had it restored! (See below) It's a 1954, near as we can tell, as it does have the solid

Spruce top, and NOT the more common "Laminated" top. They only made those, about a year, as

Les Paul didn't like the "feedback" it had, when plugged in. J-160E's were originally going

to be calle the "Les Paul Acoustic/Electric" or some such. One reason it has the LP type inlays

in the neck, as well.

DSC_0001-1.jpg

CB

Yeah, I looked for years, for a "round shouldered" J-160E. There just weren't any around,

that I could find. There were a lot of the "square shouldered" later versions, of the J-160E,

but not the round shouldered "Beatles" type. Then, after I'd (basically) stopped looking,

I found one in a little shop, in Glendale, California (where I was living, at that time),

and it was structurally sound (I made sure, of it), but the finish was all but GONE! It

looked so pathetic, and lonely, hanging there all dusty and naked! I took pity on it,

and bought it, for a song. The store owner's son, made up a price (since he really didn't

know what he had), and I wrote out the check right there. A few days later, I went back

to get some strings and other things, and the owner was there. When I wrote my check, again,

for the strings, etc., he noticed my name, right away, and asked me if I had been in, earlier

to purchase the old Gibson J-160E. I said: Yes, that was me! He smiled, shook his head,

and told me: "You KNOW, you "Stole" that, at the price my son sold it to you for, right?!"

I said: "Hey, I asked, he told me, that's what I paid!" He laughed (thankfully), and told

me to enjoy my new old guitar! This was a few years, before all the "Vintage" craze even

started, so I took the guitar to Art Valdez, in Hollywood, who was at that time, a Gibson

Service Center, and he restored it, for me. Now, I may have de-valued it, as a "collectible,"

but, I wasn't thinking of that, at all. Besides, it turned out so well, I'm not a bit sorry,

I had it restored! (See below) It's a 1954, near as we can tell, as it does have the solid

Spruce top, and NOT the more common "Laminated" top. They only made those, about a year, as

Les Paul didn't like the "feedback" it had, when plugged in. J-160E's were originally going

to be calle the "Les Paul Acoustic/Electric" or some such. One reason it has the LP type inlays

in the neck, as well.

DSC_0001-1.jpg

CB

Being at the right place at the right time. Heck of a nice find and beautifully restored to. That's definitely a keeper for sure. It just shows that there was a slight lack of communication between father and son. Their loss - and he sure knew it - and your gain. msp_biggrin.gif

Wayne

Thanks, guys! I've always enjoyed it! The restoration was done 34 years ago,

with standard Gibson/Nitro finishing elements. Art did a great job, and It's

held up very well, as you can see.

DSC_0005-2.jpg

DSC_0002-1.jpg

(The whitish rings are only a reflection, not a paint problem!)

DSC_0003.jpg

Trying (now) to find some great strings that will allow both Acoustic, and Electic

capabilites, without having to put on a separate "Acoustic" pickup. But, I don't

know if such strings exist, or not?

Someone ("Joestone") over in the Acoustic Forum, suggested GHS "White Bronze" strings.

Anyone here, familiar with those? I've just pretty much either used acoustic strings,

for when I play it acoustically (most of the time), and then change to electric strings,

if I want to go "electric," and use the P-90. But, technology changes, so maybe those

stings would work. They say there's magnetic element in them, that reacts well, with

the P-90 or equivilent pickups. Sure would be great, to be able to have one set of

strings, to do it all! [unsure][biggrin] ???? :-k

CB

Archived