Gibson Brands Forums

Define Scratch & Dent Discussion

RevDavidLee

I read the response to mean that the guy bought that actual guitar? In that case, by what stretch of the imagination is it not "used"?

Lol I had to read his response more than once because I thought that's what he was saying as well.. [biggrin]

I was more intrigued by his "they're all like that" comment [scared]

Guest Farnsbarns

Lol I had to read his response more than once because I thought that's what he was saying as well.. [biggrin]

I was more intrigued by his "they're all like that" comment [scared]

I know what you mean. If they're all like that then they're all scratch-and-dents, surely? And I'm pretty sure they can't all leave mexico that way so if they're all like that you have to wonder why. Handling issues me thinks.

I am pretty much indifferent.

That said.

No the dents don't affect anything.

Purchased = Used.

I am not sure what part of that is confusing to the seller..lol

Is he an employee??? strange ad.

I am pretty much indifferent.

I should clarify that.

I am not indifferent to your purchase of this guitar or your interest in it.

I am indifferent to shoddy sales persons.

Sorry Rev if that sounded like a shot,, ,it wasn't..lol

Sad to say, I've seen lots of guitars, Fender, Gibson, Epi, etc., in that "new" condition,

or worse, in Guitar Center, (which owns MF, or vica versa), and "there all like that,"

means they're all either returned items, or have had (in store) handling "issues."

They don't come from the factory, like that. And, even if they did, at times,

MF/GC SHOULD send them back! I have a 2 year old MIM '60's Telecaster (White, with

Rosewood board), that I play nearly every day, and it's (Still) flawless, save the

normal pick scratches on the pickguard! But, when I received it new, it was stunning!

Try Sweetwater, for your next "on-line" purchase. They show you exactly which guitar

you're getting, and do a serious inspection, prior to shipment. Most everyone that's

delt with them, including "your's truly," have been very pleased, with the product,

and the service. I have a great dealer (E.M. Shorts) in Wichita, KS., that I do MOST

of my guitar, and guitar related purchases from, now. But, anything I want, or need,

that they don't carry, or can't get, I go to Sweetwater for. By the way, E.M. Shorts

does On-Line sales, as well.

CB

It's defective. It may not be "Scratch & Dent," if that's defined as damage done after it got to the shop. It probably was defective the way it was manufactured, by the looks of it. It looks like the finish was chipped when the guy fit the neck into the pocket at the factory. More likely a manufacturing defect than Scratch & Dent.

People are still dealing with Musician's Friend?

[thumbdn]

I've bought quite a few EXCELLENT guitar from MF over the last few years. My technique is if I buy a returned bent & dent that if it isn't just what I'll except, back it goes at once!! I have had great outcomes when I've had the Private Reserve fellow "select" a guitar from 3-4 that they have stock on. All have been flawless & sounded/played EXCELLENT for me.

That Tele looks like it was buffed thru on the finish or chipped as it was going out from the factory, as that's not a likely spot to have "finish damage" from an owner accident. Just me thinking on that.

Aster

I should clarify that.

I am not indifferent to your purchase of this guitar or your interest in it.

I am indifferent to shoddy sales persons.

Sorry Rev if that sounded like a shot,, ,it wasn't..lol

No apology needed brother - I didn't take that as a shot at all. [smile]

People are still dealing with Musician's Friend?

[thumbdn]

I just recently bought my D'Angelico EXL-1 from them that was listed as a Used, Condition 2 (shows slight wear from normal use) and it was dead mint! So yeah - I've been more happy than not with them over many years plus with that 45 day return period and not having to pay any sales tax there's not much to lose - yeah I like them. I just couldn't take this reps reply. He's not doing Fender any good here either by saying "they are all like that" (meaning chipped, defective, whatever) [rolleyes]

It's defective. It may not be "Scratch & Dent," if that's defined as damage done after it got to the shop. It probably was defective the way it was manufactured, by the looks of it. It looks like the finish was chipped when the guy fit the neck into the pocket at the factory. More likely a manufacturing defect than Scratch & Dent.

I understand. And perhaps my terminology was a bit off there - but I know you understand my point here :)

I recently purchased a Classic Series '60s Telecaster from Musician's Friend. These are Mexican-made. In the exact spot shown in your pic, the same "imperfection" exists. I believe it is just a matter of the workmanship. Nothing anyone should get all in a twist over—unless they paid mucho bucks for this guitar.

The first night I played out with my new Tele, it got nothing but rave reviews... for sound, looks, etc. I am not bothered too much by slight cosmetic flaws—especially ones nobody else will probably ever see. But that's just me.

I recently purchased a Classic Series '60s Telecaster from Musician's Friend. These are Mexican-made. In the exact spot shown in your pic, the same "imperfection" exists. I believe it is just a matter of the workmanship. Nothing anyone should get all in a twist over—unless they paid mucho bucks for this guitar.

The first night I played out with my new Tele, it got nothing but rave reviews... for sound, looks, etc. I am not bothered too much by slight cosmetic flaws—especially ones nobody else will probably ever see. But that's just me.

I wouldn't define that I got all in a twist & I wasn't trying to purchase the guitar. I was looking at Fender guitars in general to see what was new and exciting and stumbled upon that one and I reasonably thought - especially with the red arrows they put on those two photos - that someone had mistakenly not put that guitar in the used category. The thing that made me post the subsequent email exchange & pictures was the Musician's Friend Customer Service Rep's response that they were all that way. That still doesn't make sense to me. [confused]

I wouldn't define that I got all in a twist & I wasn't trying to purchase the guitar. I was looking at Fender guitars in general to see what was new and exciting and stumbled upon that one and I reasonably thought - especially with the red arrows they put on those two photos - that someone had mistakenly not put that guitar in the used category. The thing that made me post the subsequent email exchange & pictures was the Musician's Friend Customer Service Rep's response that they were all that way. That still doesn't make sense to me. [confused]

They work on commission! The more expensive a guitar they can sell you, the more they make, personally.

So, "They're all like that" could just be his way of trying to steer you, towards a more costly "American" or even "Custom Shop" version. Or, towards another brand, entirely. Who knows?! [tongue] Some CS reps there, are great, other's are a nightmare, in my experience.

CB

Rev, I wasn't even aware that it was you who corresponded with the MF rep. I thought it was something you had found and felt like posting. You did sound irked. Like I said, my Mexican Tele has that exact same little blemish where the neck meets the body. I saw it, went "Hmph!", and that was that. Had I purchased an American-made Tele for a lot more $$$, I'd probably have spoken up, and demanded a replacement. But I got a great deal on a great guitar. I was happy.

Last year, I ordered a '70s Tribute SG from Guitar Center. They were discontinued at the time I decided on getting one, and they were hard to come by. I located one—GC located a "new" one—and I had it shipped to me. Upon inspection, it was clearly not "new". The pick guard was all scuffed, for one thing... and the plastic adhesive "coating" had been removed fro the pick guard and the pickups, etc. Small ding on one of the horns. I was kind'a ticked-off, but mostly disappointed. It was obviously a floor model that they shipped from a store in the area.

I returned it to my local Guitar Center, and they were very apologetic and refunded my credit card. I am an employee with the company so they were additionally apologetic. Anyway, my point is, that was an instance where something advertised as "new" clearly was not, and needed to be rectified. But a guitar that is new (never owned or played) but has a small cosmetic flaw is another story. It's not a "scratch-and-dent" IMO.

And, to the person who asked if people are still dealing with Musician's Friend? The answer is, "yes" [thumbup] .

Archived