Gibson Brands Forums

What type of DI box to use with Epiphone ES-335 Pro

Eyes Hockey

I will be getting an Epiphone ES-335 Pro very soon, but I don't have an amp.

I have a passive DI box (Livewire). Will that work directly from the guitar to the passive DI box. I was thinking I might need an active DI box if going directly from the guitar.

What happens when I get pedals? Based on what I've read online, when using pedals...the Active DI box will be the way to go.

There's not too much info that's easy to find. I understand the impedance matching, but I don't know what the impedance is for the Epiphone ES-335 Pro. I know I can tell when I get the guitar and hook it to my Mackie mixer (depending on how much I need to turn up the mic level), but I wanted to plan a little bit and start reseaching Active DI boxes if I need to.

I DO plan on getting pedals, so I may be looking to stay passive and get a Radial JDI.

Any tips specific for the Epiphone ES-335 Pro?

Thanks!!!

I've used a passive DI box into a mixer before.

What this accomplishes more than anything, is to convert from a 1/4 inch type plug, to a 3 prong SLR.

A 1/4 inch plug, regular guitar cable should not be longer than 20 ft. as this causes signal loss.

Once you're plugged into a DI box, you can run an SLR cable for longer lengths without the same signal loss.

I've used a passive DI box into a mixer before.

What this accomplishes more than anything, is to convert from a 1/4 inch type plug, to a 3 prong SLR.

A 1/4 inch plug, regular guitar cable should not be longer than 20 ft. as this causes signal loss.

Once you're plugged into a DI box, you can run an SLR cable for longer lengths without the same signal loss.

Sure, that mat be the most noticeable reason, but not the impedance matching that may be needed to achieve the best results. I've used a Passive DI box for my acoustic, but I'm thinking I could get better results from an Active DI box for that. In fact, when researching I've found that many sites say an active box is for acoustic or for basses. I, however, have not foudn much specifically stating electric guitars. That may be because most people probably use at least one pedal...meaning a passive DI box can be used (I think..that's what I'm trying to confirm with everyone out there on this forum).

So, The passive DI matches impedance at about 140 KOhms, I believe where an Active DI box is closer to 10 MegaOhms making them more sensative to signal from the guitar and needing less gain on the mic pre-amp.

I saw a YouTube video (

) see the video starting at 14:14. I was more wondering what impendance the Epiphone ES-335 Pro's impedance is. By the way, this is a great video. I have a mackie mixer, so I'll be doing the same thing, but I don't have the guitar yet to run the test. For my acoustic, I have to turn the gain closer to 2 o'clock, so I think I should be using an Active DI box for that guitar.

It might be worth checking if the mixer has a High Z input - If so you can plug straight into that. Having said that, unless you're going into decent mixer (no idea which one you're going in to), the pres can be a bit hit or miss and you may be better off buying a preamp instead of a DI box.

Something like the ART Tube MP Project can be picked up for less than a Radial DI box and is a pretty solid pre at a budget price (balanced or unbalanced 1/4" in/out or XLR plus usb.)

Gear snobs knock them but they are used in a number of major studios because they are simply terrific little pre's (no they're not Avalons or Neve's and ignore the valve as all it's simply a marketing thing but the circuit is pretty decent) and do what they're designed to do.

It might be worth checking if the mixer has a High Z input - If so you can plug straight into that. Having said that, unless you're going into decent mixer (no idea which one you're going in to), the pres can be a bit hit or miss and you may be better off buying a preamp instead of a DI box.

Something like the ART Tube MP Project can be picked up for less than a Radial DI box and is a pretty solid pre at a budget price (balanced or unbalanced 1/4" in/out or XLR plus usb.)

Gear snobs knock them but they are used in a number of major studios because they are simply terrific little pre's (no they're not Avalons or Neve's and ignore the valve as all it's simply a marketing thing but the circuit is pretty decent) and do what they're designed to do.

My Mackie mixer doesn't have the High Z inputs. The newer Mackie mixers do. I got mine used for $150..1402VLZ2 Pro in mint condition!!! The VLZ4 models have the High Z option.

Thanks for the tips.

Archived