Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
heymisterk

Is this site antiquated?

...and I don't mean the people on it! [biggrin]

When I posted my last comment, I had to click on the italics icon, then write inside the code markers - or whatever; just did it again! - to make it italicized. And posting a picture is a relatively laborious process.

I realize Gibson doesn't have to do this site at all. But honestly, some of the "steps" for posting here seems downright aged...and I don't mean in a Tom Murphy kind of way! [laugh]

Comforting to know this site is not relic'd, road worn or the like - but perhaps this would add some mojo... [biggrin]

I think it's just a matter of being "used to" it. I'm sure computer "geeks" find

it amusing, at best, and totally arcane/antiquated, at worst. Like "engineers,"

they're always wanting to "update"/change everything, constantly. [biggrin] But,

that might be good...who knows? :-k

CB

Guest Farnsbarns

No, in a word.

This forum is an off the peg solution called IPboard. It's terrible in a lot of ways but works, in terms of posting, like all forum software. The code markers you mention are called tags. Very similar to XML (including HTML) open and close tags.

You can highlight a section of what you've typed and click one of the icons, such as italic, and it will wrap that text in the tags, known as bbcode. There is no need to create the tags first and type between them secondarily.

Inserting an image is pretty straight forward... Place the cursor where you want the pic, click the pic icon, enter the url of the image, done.

As an aside... There is a free, off the peg solution called phpbb which is far better (IMHO) although, of course, it works very similarly and what Gibson is really paying for is a managed, supported solution.

I think it's just a matter of being "used to" it. I'm sure computer "geeks" find

it amusing, at best, and totally arcane/antiquated, at worst. Like "engineers,"

they're always wanting to "update"/change everything, constantly. [biggrin] But,

that might be good...who knows? :-k

CB

as long as there are engineers, there will be an entire labor force needed to make their bad ideas work, to "keep the place open"..... [biggrin]

It may be simplistic to some but it works for me without having to a computer whiz. I post pics with no problems, etc. It's doing good Gibson. Lh2N93I.gif

Well, maybe old-school would be a better description- but I like it this way!

This forum doesn't seem to attract the usual trolls and spam, drama, and bs that a lot of sites have.

It seems that the stupid people are too lazy to deal with this forum, so, they go away, leaving it to the people who really love guitars, and like to share information.

Works fine for me,,Im sure theres different ways to post on other sites,but overall,,it does the job quite well. BTW,,@Daveinspain,,I love the "jaws" film clip on your signature,,too funny.LOL

I think the technology is fine, about the same than any other forum and in some cases better.

Like farnbarns says, you do not need to type inside brackets, you highlight and then click the bold, italic, underline, crossthrough, etc.

I am not a techy guy but I always assumed it would be very costly to have a full featured word processor embedded in a forum, if even possible.

Now the SEARCH function, that is pure garbage right there.

A "new posts" button would be nice, which just lists all posts, newest first, regardless of forum. eusa_pray.gif

A "new posts" button would be nice, which just lists all posts, newest first, regardless of forum. eusa_pray.gif

I might be wrong but I think the "view new content" button in the upper right corner does that...

I might be wrong but I think the "view new content" button in the upper right corner does that...

Yes it does. [thumbup]

Wow, that was quick. Ask, and you shall receive. [lol]

This site is similar to other forums I've been a member on. It's fine as is.

In order to make text italic, I just click the icon above and it's automatic... no additional typing necessary.

The other features are just fine. The main complaint I have is the lack of MB space to post pics. I had to use Photobucket, etc. to have more than two or three images posted at the same time in different threads.

Farns hit the "how to" first and well.

The thing is that we make our comments in pretty much an ASCII text that then is converted to pretty text when we hit the "add reply" button.

Easier than the first word processing I used back in the 70s for sure. <grin> You hadda memorize the text controls and then embed them.

m

You think writing a couple italics tags or image tags are tedious...try being a web developer.

Tags, tags, everywhere. Tags within tags. Tags within tags within tags.

This is what 44 hours of website building in a week does to a man...

-Ryan

HTML and CSS. I love it almost as much as C/C++.

Respect.

EE

HTML is easy. CSS is finicky. JS, PHP, AJAX...now that's fun stuff (only including web-focused technologies).

-Ryan

CSS no problem here. Love what's going on with HTML5. I do like JS because it's so close to C (my native language). And, of course, apart from server-side stuff, php allows .php pages to do a few things more easily than HTML (with includes and such). All good fun.

EE

Oh, I love CSS for what it does. The problem is browser compatability. I really wish all the browsers followed a single standard for how they interpret CSS.

-Ryan

No, in a word.

This forum is an off the peg solution called IPboard. It's terrible in a lot of ways but works, in terms of posting, like all forum software. The code markers you mention are called tags. Very similar to XML (including HTML) open and close tags.

You can highlight a section of what you've typed and click one of the icons, such as italic, and it will wrap that text in the tags, known as bbcode. There is no need to create the tags first and type between them secondarily.

Inserting an image is pretty straight forward... Place the cursor where you want the pic, click the pic icon, enter the url of the image, done.

As an aside... There is a free, off the peg solution called phpbb which is far better (IMHO) although, of course, it works very similarly and what Gibson is really paying for is a managed, supported solution.

+1