Gibson Brands Forums

GAS vs. IRS

RichG

Like my pal Toby Walker I have transitioned from GAS to IRS (Instrument Replacement Syndrome). I have put three guitars on consignment with my friends at Russo Music in Asbury Park, NJ. Among them is the LG2 American Eagle I got there a while back. Great guitar but I guess I'm not a small guitar guy. Never played it very much and in fact left it on open G so I could play the one tune I know on open G without re tuning something else.This will give you some idea of how lazy I am, which is why I went the consignment route rather than private sales.

They also had my D28 Marquis which has sold and they have a 1967 D18 which is redundant for me because I have a D18GE which I like better.

It's my intention to replace all of them with only one guitar, hopefully. Stay tuned [biggrin]

Rich

Like my pal Toby Walker I have transitioned from GAS to IRS (Instrument Replacement Syndrome). I have put three guitars on consignment with my friends at Russo Music in Asbury Park, NJ. Among them is the LG2 American Eagle I got there a while back. Great guitar but I guess I'm not a small guitar guy. Never played it very much and in fact left it on open G so I could play the one tune I know on open G without re tuning something else.This will give you some idea of how lazy I am, which is why I went the consignment route rather than private sales.

They also had my D28 Marquis which has sold and they have a 1967 D18 which is redundant for me because I have a D18GE which I like better.

It's my intention to replace all of them with only one guitar, hopefully. Stay tuned [biggrin]

Rich

I like the one-guitar-can-do-it-all theory….lol…..but it IS only a theory!! I have yet to see anyone really apply it in reality….lol….but I understand what you are talking about, I am in the same IRS mode myself……new rule….one in, two out!!

I don't think one guitar can do it all. I have the Hog dread landscape covered with the D18 GE and the SCSJ (could be my favorite) and the Rosewood dread is the AJ, which is a close second. I've got my original 1966 Guild D40 for nostalgia and nostalgia only because it's about worst sounding guitar on the planet, but it's strong.

I think if and when the other two consignment guitars go, I'm going to be interviewing some rosewood OM models. Then I'll be satisfied. Right? [biggrin]

Rich

musy be something in the air.. With the recnt acquisition of the Legend, the SJ has been sold, The D-18A is on the block, and soon perhaps the JB. That will leave me wih the J-45 TV, the Legend, and Ren's J-200. Those three will float my boat until the right Hummin gbird shows up...

Like my pal Toby Walker I have transitioned from GAS to IRS (Instrument Replacement Syndrome).

Rich

This is a darn huge challenge I think. All of my pals relapsed to GAS later [rolleyes]

Rich

Rich I saw that lg2 on there Facebook page looks nice how much you asking for her?

Rich I saw that lg2 on there Facebook page looks nice how much you asking for her?

I'm letting them price it, so I would suggest calling Scott Engle at Russo. I figured that's fair for him since he has a new one in stock, too. Make him an offer if you're really interested. He's a reasonable guy.

Rich

Just to clarify, I don't intend to have just one guitar. If I replace those three with one, I'll still have eight. I haven't lost my mind completely.

Rich

That's a relief to hear.

Fellas, we can call off the intervention..... [biggrin]

Rich, I had no idea that was your used LG2. Scott called me on it. Unfortunately he called me on it weeks after I picked up a 000-18 after I freed up funds selling off a ton of electronics.

Such a bummer. I would have loved this guitar just as much as the Martin; I really like the neck.

Ps... Re pricing... Scott told me it's price and it was wicked reasonable. Call him. You won't deal with a nicer guy.

Sal

Yes, that's a nice one and I like the neck on it too. Just comes a time when I realize there's too many guitars around. If it doesn't sell and it comes back it won't break my heart. The other two I won't miss. The D28 Marquis is a great guitar but I couldn't deal with the neck profile. It felt ok in the shop when I bought it but as time wore on I found I was avoiding it. The older D18 is nice but I like the way my D18 GE sounds better. The D18GE neck is fat, too but not as fat as the Marquis.

The 000-18 is a great guitar. I would think it has a different tone than the lg2, but I never heard them side by side. When I sent a clip of the lg2 to Toby Walker he said it had that "Gibson Bark"

The 000-18 is a great guitar. I would think it has a different tone than the lg2, but I never heard them side by side. When I sent a clip of the lg2 to Toby Walker he said it had that "Gibson Bark"

I have found that the 000-18 tends to shimmer out when played aggressively. I keep thinking though I would probably love them if I played with a lighter touch. I actually bought an early 50s 000-18 a few years ago for some reason thinking I could get around it or work with it. Nope, in about a year it went bye bye.

Archived