Gibson Brands Forums

2013 Guitar specifics by serial number?

MikeThomasmusic

Hi, I recently purchased a used Gibson Les Paul traditional from 2013. I don't really want to burden anyone at Gibson with an email, so I was wondering if there was anyway of finding out,(maybe from a site) specifics by way of serial number? Since its just from last year and not some obscure vintage or weird norlan year guitar I thought I might be able to find out specifics like the guitars weight and how many pieces the back and neck are? I can't really tell how many pieces the back is (this one is tough to tell), I suppose I could post some detailed pics to the forum maybe? And also I was wondering about the neck? Do all the 2013 traditionals feature a one piece quarter sawn neck? I know the guitar originally came from sweet water so I tried an internet archive search to try and get the detailed specs that way but I had no luck. I don't have much experience with internet archive sites, perhaps someone knows of a better way to search and find old pages?

Thanks.

Guest Farnsbarns

The neck is one piece, that I know. Can't remember whether you've got burstbuckers or 57s but someone will know. The backs vary, usually easy to see joins on the sides more so than the back but I think it's possible it's a 1 piece back although the majority, I think, are multi piece. Should be a single layer fretboard.

Definitely 57 / 57+ in there. I believe that many of the specifics are in the letters on the hang tag. There are also some markings under the bridge pup. I don't think they specify the number of pieces of wood in the body. On my 2013 I can't tell either. Neck is one piece for sure.

14527017054_44145b0737.jpg

The way to tell how many pieces the back is made from is to look at the heel end of the guitar, so you see the end grain of the back. You'll be able to see the different grain patterns in the different pieces. They don't all have the same number of pieces, so you can't tell by the S/N. They don't record the weight of the guitar when it's manufactured at the factory. You'll have to measure it somehow.

Archived