Gibson Brands Forums

Value of an 03 Original Jumbo

Phelonious Ponk

This is my Original Jumbo from the Custom Shop's 2003 run --

10171809_705490229514160_486452402_n.jpg

There's a tiny ding, that doesn't break the paint, on the French heel. Otherwise, it's barely broken in. I've been paying mostly electric all the years I've owned it, and it has hardly left the house. The few times it did, I learned that it is a force to be reckoned with in an acoustic jam -- gobs of headroom. The thing scares mandolins. :)

I love this guitar, it is the best of many, but I'm retiring in two weeks, after which the plan is to gig a lot -- restaurants and bars by night, retirement communities by day, rock band on weekends -- and for that purpose, a J-15, heck, a Radio King with a decent pickup would be fine, especially if it would leave me with enough money left over to buy some other equipment I need. Here's what it is:

Mahogany B/S

Adirondack top

Madagascar board and bridge

Scalloped, forward-shifted (AJ Style) bracing

1.75" at the nut

BIG soft V neck

MOP old-style logo, dots

Narrow headstock

Nickel, open-back Grovers

Wired for a pickup with endpin jack, mini plug, but passive - no pre

Specs are very similar to a TV or a Legend, but in an unusual form factor with a slightly deeper body and a small vintage burst. And I don't know if that's a benefit or a drawback. Any idea what it might sell for? If we're talking about a couple of hundred bucks more than it would cost to replace it, I'll hold. A thousand, or close? I'd seriously consider putting it on the market. You guys know more about Gibsons than anybody, so here we go....

P

Shot in the dark $2,400 I say this because for $500 more or so you can get into the True Vintage line. Quick sale perhaps $2,000? There's not many of those OJ's around with the deeper body - I'll bet its a "Tone Monster" You should just slam in a Trance Mono and giig with that, no?

Yeah, I can gig with it. I have a Baggs M80 that does fine. I mean, seriously, the stuff we hear? The audience doesn't care. But if I could get $2400, or thereabouts, I could get a J-15, a 2 channel digital interface to record demos with, a powered monitor with a couple of channels in...then again, I've got gear that will do everything all of the above will do...though not quite as well...and damn I do love that OJ. Yes, it is a killer. Even with lights.

P

Just realized I was considering taking practical gigging gear advice from a guy who owns a 45TV, A 45 Legend, a Jackson Browne and an SJ200. :). God bless you, man. You've got some seriously good taste.

P

Thanks, but I'm a self professed hack. Sold a nice boat a few years ago, and started replacing that with guitars, something I can use year-round, and doesn't require so much time and maintenance. I write songs, perform occasionally at barn jams and as background music with a duo partner who is a lightning fast player . My main goal in life is to sell my wife's piano... without her noticing.

Thanks, but I'm a self professed hack. Sold a nice boat a few years ago, and started replacing that with guitars, something I can use year-round, and doesn't require so much time and maintenance. I write songs, perform occasionally at barn jams and as background music with a duo partner who is a lightning fast player . My main goal in life is to sell my wife's piano... without her noticing.

The guitar world is full of casual players that love their guitars. Nothing in the world wrong with that. I should probably keep the OJ. It should probably be my "can't gig no more" porch guitar. I should gig the electrics, even at the retirement homes. If you can make "SWonderful" swing like a some***** for a couple of minutes that's all that matters. The gear matters to us, and us alone. And I love that damned OJ.

P

That is an odd OJ in that it appears to have a belly bridge ?

I had an 03 OJ that had the typical rectangular bridge.

I remember years ago seeing an OJ, I believe on this forum that had the belly bridge, maybe yours ?

I'd estimate price on one of these $1900 - $2200.

That is an odd OJ in that it appears to have a belly bridge ?

I had an 03 OJ that had the typical rectangular bridge.

I remember years ago seeing an OJ, I believe on this forum that had the belly bridge, maybe yours ?

I'd estimate price on one of these $1900 - $2200.

Yep. Factory-original belly bridge. Only Gibson...

P

I'd be hanging on to that box, P. A rule of thumb that has served me well is not to trade down. Your Jumbo would be a tough one to replace should you end up with seller remorse. And you will notice the difference in tone and feel. The difference my J35fvg and the J45std I sold is the difference between (kinda) good and effin' great. As far as what you could expect to get for it, one of our members sold one of these in the last year; asking was 2.2k; it sold for 18.5k. Best, Rambler

Archived