Gibson Brands Forums

J45 rework complete

DickB

I bought my 2006 J45 used about 3 months ago, my first Gibson. I sold my Martin D18V, also a 2006 which I had bought new, just because I was tired of it and liked the J45's unplugged sound and its playability with the short scale. I didn't much care for the under-saddle pickup, a Baggs I believe, and didn't like having a battery inside, so I had a K&K mini installed. I had one in the D18V also and liked the amped sound's faithfulness and with no battery. The guitar tech who did the work made a new bone saddle to replace the tusq (?) original and also a bone nut to fix a little buzzing tendency on the G-string. He said the original nut slot wasn't cut quite right. Anyway, the unplugged sound after all that wasn't as good as before, to my disappointment. It sounded kind of mushy instead of bright and crisp. I figured it was time to try some different bridge pins to replace the Gibson plastic ones. I was using Masterbilt 80/20 strings and didn't think a change of string type was needed. I've got a stash of pins from years of playing around with them with other guitars including several Martins I've owned. I always slotted and ramped the Martin bridges and replaced the original poorly-fitting slotted pins with solid ones, reaming the holes as needed. The J45 bridge is of course not slotted, but it was already ramped and the slotted pins seemed to fit well, so I left it at that and just went with slotted pins for my replacement trials. I tried bone, buffalo horn, and ebony. The bone didn't help much, the horn were a little too bright, and the ebony was just right. I had always ended up with ebony pins on hog guitars with bone saddles previously, so was relieved to find it works on Gibson too. It now sounds better both unplugged and amped, and I'm a happy camper.

Glad to hear the Ebony was good - thinking about that to replace the plastic on the Legend, although I am told that plastic is historically correct.

Well, the plastic off-white pins certainly look nicer, and of course are historically accurate as you say, but as I always tell my wife when she asks why I'm always fiddling with my guitars' setup:

In order of importance:

1. Sound

2. Playability

3. Looks

[biggrin]

I've been using some pins made of Galalaith on a couple of my guitars and I like them a lot. They have to be turned as the material can't be molded so the finished product looks great and they seem to be just slightly heavier (denser material?) than plain old plastic. Very Gibson looking too. You can find them through Elderly under Antique Acoustics or through Stew-Mac.

I've been using some pins made of Galalaith on a couple of my guitars and I like them a lot. They have to be turned as the material can't be molded so the finished product looks great and they seem to be just slightly heavier (denser material?) than plain old plastic. Very Gibson looking too. You can find them through Elderly under Antique Acoustics or through Stew-Mac.

Would like to give these a try. Couldn't find them on Stew-Mac site, but found them at Elderly. Unfortunately there are a number of older model Gibsons listed but no sizing info that would help with a newer one like mine (2006). The pins I had tried, including the ebony currently installed, are standard Martin size 2A and they fit reasonably well. I sent email to Elderly to see if they will provide sizes.

Thanks for your suggestion.

if th undersaddle pickup is a whit or almond colored one I will giv You $100 for it. I want Baggs M1 fo m AJ. ZLet m know. I' lov to buy i. The K&K is awesome, but ZI'm looking to try ou Bgg Whitey.

Sorry, I let the guitar tech who did the work have it.

Also, I got a response from Elderly on the AA pin sizes. The sizes are right in the description of each type; I felt a little silly when they pointed that out. Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing how they work.

Archived