Gibson Brands Forums

J15 (again)

MR GIBS

Made that video few hours ago in the shop of the local Gibson dealer here in Sofia, Bulgaria.

Used a small handy cam ZOOM Q3 HD.

The instrument sounds pretty good (for an unplayed guitar), but needs a set up (the action is high), string change (and nut&saddle&tuners change - my personal opinion).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01nr6au8NDM

Made that video few hours ago in the shop of the local Gibson dealer here in Sofia, Bulgaria.

Used a small handy cam ZOOM Q3 HD.

The instrument sounds pretty good (for an unplayed guitar), but needs a set up (the action is high), string change (and nut&saddle&tuners change - my personal opinion).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01nr6au8NDM

Nice, it sounds wonderful, i will probably get the action lowered on mine a bit when i get it.

Nice, it sounds wonderful, i will probably get the action lowered on mine a bit when i get it.

Now I can say that I really DID NOT like these grover tuners... If the instrument was mine I would change with some open gear, Gottoh may be.

And I am not a tusk fan at all!msp_thumbdn.gifmsp_thumbdn.gifmsp_thumbdn.gif

Otherwise the wood of the guitar is very good!msp_thumbup.gif

Now I can say that I really DID NOT like these grover tuners... If the instrument was mine I would change with some open gear,

I'm a new player, how would different tuners affect sound? Why would you change them?

These Grover's on the J15 don't affect the sound, but are unconfortable (to me). Their action is heavy. When I start to turn the key it has some "hollow" move in the beginning... And I don't like how they look on this particular model. In a word: I don't like them. Randmo, Iif you have two J15 guitars - one with Grover's and one with Gottoh open gear you will understand quickly what am I talkin about.

These Grover's on the J15 don't affect the sound, but are unconfortable (to me). Their action is heavy. When I start to turn the key it has some "hollow" move in the beginning... And I don't like how they look on this particular model. In a word: I don't like them. Randmo, Iif you have two J15 guitars - one with Grover's and one with Gottoh open gear you will understand quickly what am I talkin about.

If you use the tuners you are referring to, do you not have to drill additional holes in the headstock?

The mini-Grovers on my J-15 work nicely,

and I like the way they look on this particular guitar.

Also, I generally prefer a bit more weight on the neck.

Even once put a fishing weight behind the truss rod cover!

very nice playing MR-GIBS, I thoroughly enjoyed that. Like you I have an aversion to Tusq, and would get rid of both the Nut, and that awful "tea stained" saddle, they Gibson insist on using. I played a very nice J-15 last weekend in Dawson`s (Manchester), it had lovely figuring on the back. I didn`t mind the mini Govers myself.

Steve.

Good review, good playing, although I wasn't overly impressed with that J-15, especially when you were playing chords up the neck. The 'life' seemed to disappear, whereas my J-35 retains excellent tone and 'life' no matter where it's capoed or played. But then, it's difficult to tell for sure in a video and not actually in the same room.

Regarding the style of Grovers on the J-15, people seem to either love them or hate them with no middle of the road. I have the standard size Grovers on my Guilds and they're very comfortable, smooth and precise. Very nice tuners. I have mini Gotohs on my OM-16 and they're very comfortable/precise as well. I've never experienced any slack or hollow feeling with Grovers, so I'm wondering if these may be Asian Grover copies to keep costs down. ?? One time, I ordered what I thought were real Grovers (with the Grover name) at a great price from China, and turned out to be knock-offs. They looked exactly like real Grovers but had a slightly different button washer, and the buttons didn't fit tightly on the shaft which caused slack when tuning. They had the same heavy action and initial slack as you're experiencing. Real Grovers are very precise with absolutely no lag or slack. I'm not saying this is the case, but I wonder if any other J-15 owners are experiencing this.

DC

I recently purchased the J15. Your video is exactly the way the guitar sounds. I mean, sometimes sound does not come through the computer very well, but that was as close to the real sound as I've heard on a video.

Good job!

I recently purchased the J15. Your video is exactly the way the guitar sounds. I mean, sometimes sound does not come through the computer very well, but that was as close to the real sound as I've heard on a video.

Good job!

Sounds like my J-15 also. Wish I could move my fingers that fast [biggrin]

1404167210[/url]' post='1535936']

Enjoy your playing, Mr. Gibs. So in your opinion which do you prefer the J15 or J35? :)

Quite good question, and I have no a ready answer yet...My J35 is already one of my guitars. Bone nut&saddle and K&K Triniti Mini installed. I bought my J35 one year ago because I wanted a mahogany back&sides Gibson acoustic. One year ago the J15 was not available yet. To answer the question what model I prefere I must have both guitars equipped with bone nut&saddle and same action.I guess the J35 has more mids and is a bit louder. And the J15 has a bit deeper sound.I use my guitars not just to play, but generally to accompany my singind. And to compose my songs.I can say that I could use both models for different songs. There are songs that I would play better with J35 and there are songs that will sound better (to my ear) played with a J15.BUT one thing I can say for sure here: If I had to buy a mahogany back&sides Gibson acoustic today I would buy a J45 or better a Hummingbird.The price of the J35 is lower than the price of a J45 and there is a REASON: J45 is a far better instrument. And the Hummingbird is much better.The J15 as a walnut back&sides Gibson acoustic and the cheepest Gibson acoustic model arround is not a guitar for me these days. This is a good instrument, but I would give this guitar to a youngster...Saying that I start to think that I need a Hummingbird, but not this year...

Quite good question, and I have no a ready answer yet...My J35 is already one of my guitars. Bone nut&saddle and K&K Triniti Mini installed. I bought my J35 one year ago because I wanted a mahogany back&sides Gibson acoustic. One year ago the J15 was not available yet. To answer the question what model I prefere I must have both guitars equipped with bone nut&saddle and same action.I guess the J35 has more mids and is a bit louder. And the J15 has a bit deeper sound.I use my guitars not just to play, but generally to accompany my singind. And to compose my songs.I can say that I could use both models for different songs. There are songs that I would play better with J35 and there are songs that will sound better (to my ear) played with a J15.BUT one thing I can say for sure here: If I had to buy a mahogany back&sides Gibson acoustic today I would buy a J45 or better a Hummingbird.The price of the J35 is lower than the price of a J45 and there is a REASON: J45 is a far better instrument. And the Hummingbird is much better.The J

15 as a walnut back&sides Gibson acoustic and the cheepest Gibson acoustic model arround is not a guitar for me these days. This is a good instrument, but I would give this guitar to a youngster.
..Saying that I start to think that I need a Hummingbird, but not this year...

Different strokes for different folks, however the J-15 is just as much of a professional instrument as it's J-45 brother regardless of it's price point. Walnut is no better or worse than hog or rosewood, it's just different.

Different strokes for different folks, however the J-15 is just as much of a professional instrument as it's J-45 brother regardless of it's price point. Walnut is no better or worse than hog or rosewood, it's just different.

That's correct. J15 is a professional instrument. As the J35.

Just saying that I would prefer a J45 or a Hummingbird.

They are simply better guitars.

Mr Gibs, I've enjoyed your playing as well as your comments. But, I respectfully disagree with you on this J-15 vs the J-45 thing. I love J-45's, I was actually going to get one when I decided on the J-15 instead.

J-45's are great. But man, the more I play the J-15, I realize how great it sounds. Recently I've started comparing these two models. Playing them in stores, listening to any on-line comparisons, and wouldn't you know it, I think I like the J-15 better. Never thought I would say that.

I' believe the J-15 is every bit as good a guitar as the J-45. I love Gibson acoustics, I have three, j-200, Blues King and the J-15. Most people may prefer one model over the other, but the are both professional quality guitars.

Rob

Better for you. [biggrin] I personally feel that my J-15 is better than the Custom Rosewood/Sitka shortscale AJ that I owned. It's all subjective. Different strokes for different folks. However I do agree with you on the tuners. I do not like the looks of the Grover's and will be replacing them with some three on a plate white button tuners. This is purely for aesthetic reasons though.

If I had a J-15, I would also want to change out the tuners.Again nothing more than aesthetics.

However, I see that the Grovers on the 15 have an eccentric screw. I am sure this will not be an easy

drop in replacement.

Quite good question, and I have no a ready answer yet...My J35 is already one of my guitars. Bone nut&saddle and K&K Triniti Mini installed. I bought my J35 one year ago because I wanted a mahogany back&sides Gibson acoustic. One year ago the J15 was not available yet. To answer the question what model I prefere I must have both guitars equipped with bone nut&saddle and same action.I guess the J35 has more mids and is a bit louder. And the J15 has a bit deeper sound.I use my guitars not just to play, but generally to accompany my singind. And to compose my songs.I can say that I could use both models for different songs. There are songs that I would play better with J35 and there are songs that will sound better (to my ear) played with a J15.BUT one thing I can say for sure here: If I had to buy a mahogany back&sides Gibson acoustic today I would buy a J45 or better a Hummingbird.The price of the J35 is lower than the price of a J45 and there is a REASON: J45 is a far better instrument. And the Hummingbird is much better.The J15 as a walnut back&sides Gibson acoustic and the cheepest Gibson acoustic model arround is not a guitar for me these days. This is a good instrument, but I would give this guitar to a youngster...Saying that I start to think that I need a Hummingbird, but not this year...

I just want to thank you, Krassi, because of your Youtube demo of your J-35, it helped me decide to buy one for myself and I have been enjoying my Gibson J-35 everyday since this last March. It is so cool to have people like you on this forum that can give the rest of us tips or make any guitar sing like an angel.

Doug

Come on, Doug.... We all know Mr Gibbs just loves to show off his flashy pants!! :)

But seriously, Gibbs (makes me feel like I'm on NCIS)... I always enjoy your involvement and contributions here on the forum. I already have a great J-35. Now, I just need a pair of those great pants in a medium. :) :)

DC

Archived