Gibson Brands Forums

Strap Button

Randmo

I'm thinking of having a guitar strap button added to the neck of by J-15. I'm not even going to try to do this myself. Where is the best location to install to hang correctly? IE, I don't want it tipping away, or too much towards me, I'm sure the installer will be competent, I just want to be prepared.

I don't have any straps yet, any recommendations to type, what to look for etc?

Proving I can beat a dead horse, I always chime in to talk about how I dislike the fact that a button attached to the neck heel sets things up so that if you take both hands off the guitar the headstock will drop and the guitar can pop off the strap at the bottom end pin. Not to mention that a guitar that doesn't need your hand to support the neck gives you more freedom in your fretting hand to focus on playing, not holding.

I recommend the Neo-tech banjo loop, an easy to slip on and off the headstock strap attachment, for a conveniently balanced feel. They're like 4 bucks a piece and fit any strap. If you can't find one I'll send you a link. This might be it, but I've seen them on Ebay too

http://www.wwbw.com/Neotech-Acoustic-Guitar-and-Banjo-Adaptor-Loop-469805-i1145017.wwbw

There are many choices:

ts0055a.jpg

2, 4 and 5 are the most popular with my vote going to #5. The "passenger" side of the neck heel is the most invisible and unobtrusive. If you use position 2 or 4 the guitar tends to kick forward. Plus, positions 1 and 4 will make the guitar not sit flat in the case. Position 3 should be used with great care as there is generally no support behind the thin side wood in this location. You either have to add a block or have a guitar with a block in that location already installed in the guitar. Some Montana built Gibsons have such a block I understand.

#5, and I've never had the diving head problem.

P

Depends on the guitar. He'll know when/if it happens. Maybe the J-15 has a heavier bod. My old small bodied L00's are light in the lower end, nevertheless I'm sure if you have a neck heel pin and release both hands on most guitars any movement on your part will cause the head to drop. My J-45 was substantially bottom heavy and the head still dropped when both hands let go. Hung from the headstock you have symmetrical support, but personal preferences rule the day.

I like #2. I have had both 2 and 5 and have never felt that 2 tips forward anymore than 5. Do what you want but don't do it yourself.

I won't be doing it myself for sure... Sounds like 5 is most popular

2 and 5.

I can see concerns on potential of neck heavy - but I guess that's why I've never seen it as a problem 'cuz inevitably my right arm has control of the box and therefor the neck. Then again, only been doing it that way for some 50 years or so.

Well... on classicals I've used the odd little neck strap that's kinda like what they use on a sax that goes under the guitar, up and around into the sound hole. Most steel string guitars are, I think, probably too heavy to play that game - and if you let go, the guitar tends to spin to the ground.

The "to the neck," especially with the quick release, ain't all that bad, and can be used to get more of the Johnny Cash sorta guitar moves. Then again, I think the instrument is more secure with the endpin and something in the neighborhood of 2 or 5.

Still, you pays your money and takes your choice. The last guitar I had a pin added, it was at #5.

m

The manufacturers that install front strap buttons at the factory usually, if not almost always go with number 5, one being Taylor. I hate seeing a great looking guitar heel mucked up by screwing a strap button in it.

Proving I can beat a dead horse, I always chime in to talk about how I dislike the fact that a button attached to the neck heel sets things up so that if you take both hands off the guitar the headstock will drop and the guitar can pop off the strap at the bottom end pin. Not to mention that a guitar that doesn't need your hand to support the neck gives you more freedom in your fretting hand to focus on playing, not holding.

I recommend the Neo-tech banjo loop, an easy to slip on and off the headstock strap attachment, for a conveniently balanced feel. They're like 4 bucks a piece and fit any strap. If you can't find one I'll send you a link. This might be it, but I've seen them on Ebay too

http://www.wwbw.com/Neotech-Acoustic-Guitar-and-Banjo-Adaptor-Loop-469805-i1145017.wwbw

+1!

does onybody know if I can get those loops in europe? or a similar product?

They come shipped in a letter-sized envelope so I imagine wwbw would send overseas. I keep one attached to each acoustic since I never play without a strap, sitting or standing. There are several available off this Ebay page as well.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=&_osacat=118979&_fln=1&_catref=1&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1311.R5.TR6.TRC0.A0.H0.Xneotech+&_nkw=neotech+guitar+strap&_sacat=619&_from=R40

I'm thinking of having a guitar strap button added to the neck of by J-15. I'm not even going to try to do this myself. Where is the best location to install to hang correctly? IE, I don't want it tipping away, or too much towards me, I'm sure the installer will be competent, I just want to be prepared.

I don't have any straps yet, any recommendations to type, what to look for etc?

I couldn't bear to drill my acoustics…

I have a Martin and Gibson acoustic guitars and the Gibson dosen't seem to mind at all. ;~)

Also, I have it set on one strap that I use for both guitars.

I use this strap loop:

!BW3NEHQBWk~$(KGrHgoH-CIEjlLl26,yBKZcj915V!~~_12.JPG

Like the picture I found? [cool]

Good luck,

I like Jedzep's idea, simple and no extra holes drilled.

I couldn't bear to drill my acoustics…

I have a Martin and Gibson acoustic guitars and the Gibson dosen't seem to mind at all. ;~)

Also, I have it set on one strap that I use for both guitars.

I use this strap loop:

!BW3NEHQBWk~$(KGrHgoH-CIEjlLl26,yBKZcj915V!~~_12.JPG

Like the picture I found? [cool]

Good luck,

I use these too, for the same reason - don't want to drill a hole in the heel, even knowing it would be safe. You can flip this strap around so the 'Martin' advertising is hidden.

The Martin loop serves the same purpose but adds the advertising and costs twice as much. Whatever it takes to put a balanced instrument in my hands is OK with me. I need every advantage to play well. A free floating fretting hand is my best ally.

The Martin loop serves the same purpose but adds the advertising and costs twice as much. Whatever it takes to put a balanced instrument in my hands is OK with me. I need every advantage to play well. A free floating fretting hand is my best ally.

Ahhh, I didn't look at your link. That is the same Idea. I used a plain old string when I was a kid.

I was going to just do the string trick some months ago when I bought the martin loop but I have become much more wary of the finnish on my aging guitar. My Gibson is a 1962. There are many other manufacturers who make the same kind of loop but in reading reviews either the materials or the fact that people complained that the bargain loops came undone deterred me from buying them.

jedzep is correct that that logo adds about 4 bucks to the price!

careful for #2 position... depending on how tight a fit your case is, it's quite possible the strap button will raise the body enough so the neck will not sit on the neck rest in your case.

I know this from experience. I put a button in that position on my classical and that was my problem. I wound up using the handle end of screw diver (and my index finger knuckle) and crushing the foam padding under the felt where the button is so as to recess as small area in the case to allow the neck sit rest properly on the neck rest.

(RANT ON! Why don't all guitar manufactures [gibson included] put a freaking strap button on the neck heal at the factory! SERIOUSLY! - RANT OFF!)

1404242438[/url]' post='1536245']

careful for #2 position... depending on how tight a fit your case is, it's quite possible the strap button will raise the body enough so the neck will not sit on the neck rest in your case.

I know this from experience. I put a button in that position on my classical and that was my problem. I wound up using the handle end of screw diver (and my index finger knuckle) and crushing the foam padding under the felt where the button is so as to recess as small area in the case to allow the neck sit rest properly on the neck rest.

(RANT ON! Why don't all guitar manufactures [gibson included] put a freaking strap button on the neck heal at the factory! SERIOUSLY! - RANT OFF!)

So in which of the Five positions should all guitar manufacturers put the pin? And would they also offer every model Without any pin for those of us who either prefer to attach the strap at the head, or don't use a strap?

So in which of the Five positions should all guitar manufacturers put the pin?

IMO only -- position 5... I do think it should be standard

the vast majority of players, (from my point of view) will use this all the time.

#4 on a flat heel, #5 on a peaked heel. #1, 2 or 3...NEVER!

well most cases, yes, but I think #2, it's an edge case but the heel on some guitars are carved a bit to give more room for upper fret access (like my MR A-Cut classical.)

I didn't feel it was a good idea to drill one for pos. 5.. so I used 2.. and it worked ok cept for the fact that I mentioned earlier

Archived