Gibson Brands Forums

Year of my LG-2

mking

I purchased a great LG-2 in fantastic condition, sounds wonderful , no complaints. It was stated to be a 1948 but there is no FON on the guitar. However, the tuning keys are original and they have the waffle rivets securing the tuner pegs rather than smooth rivets. Would this possibly be a 1947? Thanks.

Congrats on the ol' LG-2! (P.O.I.D.H, you know):)

Many Gibsons from the mid-late 1940's didn't have a factory order number, especially 1946's (?). So now, you've got some detective work to do. Do some looking at CFH's site: old guitar info here. Also- do some searches at the UMGF" Vintage Corner. As you noted about your tuners, that should help narrow things down a bit. I think Gibson went away from the 1-3/4 " nut width some time in 1947. Zombywoof I believe is up on the different tuner details, hopefully, he'll weigh in. There are so many areas of guitar trivia, each person must find their own level; that's one of the areas I try not to get too deep into. Ultimately, we'll just have to enjoy the guitar, and let the mystery be.

Waffle Tuners, no FON, and 1 11/16" nut to me indicate 1947. Most of the '47s I have seen have a block letter logo but I would not rule out some early year script logo guitars. Erring on the side of caution, however, if it has a block letter logo, most advise referring to these guitars as 1947/48.

Archived