Gibson Brands Forums

Slash's Snakepit......

Rabs

So ive been listening to the Snakepit album Aint Life Grand... Man its been an age since I listened to that and I really enjoy it.. For those who don't like Myles Kennedy or what Scott Weiland was doing with Velvet Revolver you may like this slightly more (or not :))

Some history first

Slash's Snakepit was an American rock supergroup from Los Angeles, California, formed by then-Guns N' Roses guitarist Slash in 1993. Though often described as a solo or side project, Slash stated that Snakepit was a band, with equal contributions by all members. The first lineup of the band consisted of Slash, two of his Guns N' Roses band mates—drummer Matt Sorum and guitarist Gilby Clarke—as well as Alice in Chains bassist Mike Inez and former Jellyfish live guitarist Eric Dover on lead vocals.

Their debut album, It's Five O'Clock Somewhere, was released in 1995. For the supporting tour, Slash enlisted James LoMenzo and Brian Tichy, of Pride and Glory, in place of Inez and Sorum who had other commitments. They played shows in the US, Europe, Japan and Australia before Geffen Records pulled their financial support for the tour, with Slash returning to Guns N' Roses and Slash's Snakepit disbanding.

Following his departure from Guns N' Roses in 1996, Slash formed the cover band Slash's Blues Ball. After a tour in 1997, Slash approached Blues Ball bassist Johnny Griparic about forming a new lineup of Slash's Snakepit. The new lineup consisted of Slash, Griparic, singer Rod Jackson, guitarist Ryan Roxie and drummer Matt Laug (Roxie and Laug were both former members of Alice Cooper's solo band). They recorded and released their second album entitled Ain't Life Grand in 2000, which was preceded by a tour supporting AC/DC and followed by their own headlining tour. For the tour, Keri Kelli joined the group in place of Ryan Roxie, who departed following the completion of the album. However, after the final show, Slash disbanded Slash's Snakepit due to a lack of commitment from his band members.

And a couple of tunes.. see what you think if you haven't heard them before

I was fortunate to see Slash's Blues Ball in a small club in San Juan Capistrano, CA. It was very intimate and a great performance.

The club's management called me up and asked if I wanted to, "Come on down tonight and review the show."

Of course I did.

It was fun and a great performance.

Now as far as his Velvet Revolver and latest stuff, it's good in its own right. What I mean is you have to take into account the entirety of Slash's work to fully appreciate his ability.

The guy can rock. There's no doubt about it. I like his music and thanks for posting.

Having seen Guns -n- Roses's AFD tour in another small venue in Anahiem, CA I have to say I do appreciate the smaller venues for bands. Hopefully Slash will tour closer to Santa Barbara so I can see him next time around.

i like slash's stuff, but ESPECIALLY snakepit. imo that was his best so far. the slash and friends disc was really good too though. i also saw G-n-R touring appetite. only thing is, at the show i saw, they sucked, and axl started a fight, and lost. the surprise of the night (for me) was aerosmith. at the time, most of their music was sappy chick ballads, but at that show, they rocked it old school, and i was really impressed. funny i went into the venue to see gnr, planning to leave when aerosmith came on. i went out the door with a whole new respect for aerosmith, and loads of disappointment for guns. i'm glad slash got out of there.

i like slash's stuff, but ESPECIALLY snakepit. imo that was his best so far. the slash and friends disc was really good too though. i also saw G-n-R touring appetite. only thing is, at the show i saw, they sucked, and axl started a fight, and lost. the surprise of the night (for me) was aerosmith. at the time, most of their music was sappy chick ballads, but at that show, they rocked it old school, and i was really impressed. funny i went into the venue to see gnr, planning to leave when aerosmith came on. i went out the door with a whole new respect for aerosmith, and loads of disappointment for guns. i'm glad slash got out of there.

That's great. Aerosmith is vintage American Rock-n-Roll.

When I saw GNR they were the headline band. TSOL opened for them in a place that seated like 2,000. It was in the round and half the venue was blocked off. It was real cool and the band was fireing on all cylinders.

Yeah I saw GnR at their height of fame in about 1991 (the Illusions tour).. they had Soundgarden and Faith no More in support and it was at Wembley Stadium.. AMAZING gig...

After that I saw Velvet Revolver a few times in much smaller venues... BUT every time for me has always been about Slash, I couldn't care less about most of the rest of the band.. Izzy was amazing but already gone when I saw GnR.

I would see Slash in almost any group.. I think hes great.

I have this album I got the import too with two bonus tracks I have everything he has put out. He is coming here and playing on the same stage I just played on at the Voodoo and I have tickets (happy dance) July 26th.

Did you hear the track off the new album?

I have to admit that even though im a fan, this one bored me a bit.. But im still hoping for the rest of the album :)

Yes I bought this off Amazon day it was available. I love it I was so hungry for something new Im good with it. Did you buy the 2011 book CD/DVD set? I have the first two CDs in the box set versions with bonus CDs and DVDs. The Live in Stokes deluxe CD/DVD set and the complete DVD as well. That 2011 book set was a UK exclusive. Did you buy his book? I got it too.

No but I bought the guitar magazine that both albums came with last time.. you get a badge and poster and a few bits like that..

And we get the new album a month early in the UK through an exclusive with that same magazine :)

Not my thing...

Mostly lyrically though I think... I always find stuff I like about Slash's guitar work even if often I find alot of it too heavy/hard-core-ish for me...

I remember liking GNR because it sounded throw-back to me and actually reminded me some of Clapton from back in the day when they came on the scene...

I never did like Axl Rose's voice or his style of song presentation and just couldn't get into them mostly because of that...

I always did kinda like Slash, but because of the singers he's put up as his front man I've never really let myself get into him... I don't see that changing any time in the near future either...

I do like the looks of his signature Rosa Corsa Les Paul though... But I could do without the caricature of him on the headstock though...

It is a sweet axe and he was responsible for putting a Les Paul back into mainstream music when GNR hit the bigtime... It seemed like they were fading from the spotlight some at the time and he certainly helped them bring it back home!

I do like the looks of his signature Rosa Corsa Les Paul though... But I could do without the caricature of him on the headstock though...

It is a sweet axe and he was responsible for putting a Les Paul back into mainstream music when GNR hit the bigtime... It seemed like they were fading from the spotlight some at the time and he certainly helped them bring it back home!

agreed, thatcorsa is very sweet, as was the appetite lp, the one that looked a little like joe perry's boneyard lp.

i remember being about 19, so '84-ish, the other guitar player in the band i was in showed up with a les paul he borrowed. we all teased him for playing a "old fogey" guitar. [laugh]

it wasn't pointy enough for our hair metal selves. hahahahaha

No but I bought the guitar magazine that both albums came with last time.. you get a badge and poster and a few bits like that..

And we get the new album a month early in the UK through an exclusive with that same magazine :)

which mag is it? could you please pm me when it comes out. i dont want to miss it

Archived