Gibson Brands Forums

Long maestro vibrola's

SG dude

all the SG's with the long vibrolas on them ROCK! but the only ones that you can get now are the angus young sig model. although he is my fav guitarist i dont want his sig guitar. is there any place you can buy the long vibrola's to put on, on my own?

all the SG's with the long vibrolas on them ROCK! but the only ones that you can get now are the angus young sig model. although he is my fav guitarist i dont want his sig guitar. is there any place you can buy the long vibrola's to put on' date=' on my own?[/quote']

1) you can get SGs from the Custom shop with vibrolas:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-Custom/SG-Std-Reis-VOS.aspx

2) If you want to buy a USA model and install your own vibrola, you could contact Gibson (either at their email or by calling 1-800-4GIBSON.) They'll usually sell stuff like that as replacement parts. You could also check at your local authorized Gibson dealer.

Good luck!

Hello SG dude,

that sounds familiar to me. That´s exactly what I thought. Why doesn´t Gibson just build a 68 SG as it was back then? Why in all the world does it have to be an Angus Young Signature? As is with most signatur models I didn´t find the answer yet. But in december 2006 I gave the Angus Young Signature a try and bought one. I like the SG models with Maestro and full pickguard best and as you wrote already this is the only one available if you want a new guitar. Owning and playing this one for two years by now I can tell you it is the best guitar I ever had straight from the shop. The Angus Young pickup is one of my favourite gibson pickups, together with the 57 classic and P90 and P94. I´ve changed a lot of pickups in my guitars during the years. With this one I didn´t even think of it. They are just great. It has a slim taper neck and according to the maestro and the pickups it has a sound that I would say is somewhere between humbuckers and P90s. To me the best of both worlds. And yes, with this guitar you can sound like Angus, with the right amp as well offcourse. Since I like the guitar so much it doesn´t bother me that is has an Angus decal and engraving on it. I like Angus too by the way. And if I wanted it, I could have it rebuilt to a regular 68. There is a thread in everythingSG.com about deangusing this SG. It is possible. I would buy it again if I ever had to get a new one.

Greetings

Kurt

Yes! I guess they´d even sell more of them if they made a regular 68 SG. I really like Angus Young. But not even he plays an Angus Young Signature!!! Nevertheless I really like mine when it comes to playability and sound. But that signature stuff is for kids (if they can afford it) and maybe collectors. If Gibson built a non signature 68 SG I would have bought it right away. With the Angus one I was waiting for years to buy it, after I lost hope they´d ever make a regular one. If they still did?! Well, I guess I´d have to buy it then. Just love SGs.

Kurt

Why doesn´t Gibson just build a 68 SG as it was back then? Why in all the world does it have to be an Angus Young Signature?

I love my Angus signature (of course I am a Young-desciple, so it's a no-brainer), but I too have wondered if they're ever gonna' add a late-60's SG to the Historic roster. I mean, priority to me is seeing them do the early-to-mid 60's reissues CORRECTLY, but next up I think a full-on '67 to '71 model would be awesome. Hell, they could use the existing Historic body shape (which needs some tweaking for what it's SUPPOSED to be now, but would work fine for the late-60's models as-is), just change the neck-joint accordingly (and neck shape of course) and add the larger pickguard...and voila! Great reissue to go alongside the early-60's ones. Even could offer it in its core finishes from the day: cherry (please, no washed/faded though...the Angus' "aged" cherry would be fine though, that looks great on that era SG) and walnut brown. If you do that you'd also have to do the Custom though at least, although I think it and the Specials/Juniors could be limited/made-to-order. I know a few people who'd love to have a proper early AND late-60's SG reissue in their arsenal.

H-Bomb

Don´t get me wrong. I also love my Angus signature. It´s very good value for money. Compared to the V.O.S. it´s almost cheap. And it also has a one piece body! But why not building the same guitar with Gibson engraving on the maestro and regular headstock inlay? Doesn´t even have to be reissue or whatever. Just build it. And again, I also like Angus. In my opinion he´s one of the best guitarists. And he absolutely deserves the honour to get a signature guitar. To me he is THE SG player. Back in the late 70s he was the main reason for me to start playing guitar. And I always wanted an SG like his. Which definately wasn´t a signature. Anyway, in those days it was absolutely impossible to get one over here in germany. Especially with a strictly limited budget like mine back then (still in school). So nowadays I´m very happy with my A.Y. signature. But would be even happier if it really was like his.

Kurt

But would be even happier if it really was like his.

Yeah, he was my inspiration to play as well, so of course I love mine. I did wonder why Gibson didn't just go ahead and do the bolt inlays like his custom made one, and I was a little surprised to see the Vibrola on it when they first did the press release. Not complaining though, the Vibrola is a must on an old-school SG. Although I will admit that I think it would've been kinda' neat to have the standard headstock inlay on the Angus signature instead (just put the devil character on the truss rod cover). And I wouldn't be too shocked to one day see an "Inspired By" (and grossly OVERPRICED) series Angus model, complete with the lightning inlays, cream switch ring and stoptail in lieu of the Vibrola.

And dangit, I wish the Historic Standard looked like Ang's '64 Standard from the Ballbreaker tour, that's a great example of what that one SHOULD look like.

H-Bomb

Hello SG Dude!

I hope this will help http://everythingsg.com/forum/index.php?topic=15352.32

In case the link doesn´t work, search for forums. Topic is De-Angus, Threadstarter is GibsonWarrior. If the link works you can scroll down to see some pictures of the guitar. Looks absolutely great. This would be my idea of an SG. And then it really looks like the one Angus had in the early days of AC/DC.

By the way. You´re from Scotland? I spent two holidays in Scotland in 2000 and 2002. I really love this country. May I ask you where in Scotland you´re from?

Kurt

By the way. You´re from Scotland? I spent two holidays in Scotland in 2000 and 2002. I really love this country. May I ask you where in Scotland you´re from?

hey hurt!,

no probs man!! im from Glasgow, east end if it matters!! Can i ask where in germany you are?? thanks for the link by the way!

Hello SG dude!

GibsonWarriors guitar looks very good. Doesn´t it. Even though I think that wasn´t exactly cheap. He wrote about using an N.O.S. Maestro and they cost quite a bit. In e-bay for example they can be around 500.- Dollars. But I like the thought of having a new 68 SG. I´m not too much into old guitars - unless they grew old with me.

Cool! I´m from Nuernberg in bavaria. We´re twinned with Glasgow. Ofcourse I visited Glasgow during my holidays in Scotland.

Kurt

hey everyone thanks a lot for the comments and answers helped a lot! love reading them too!! i totally agree that they should make a '68 sg with the works that would be THE guitar to buy (probs a best seller!!)

Well, if they ever do a '68 re-issue, I hope there's one "historic" thing they do without...and that was that long, extended "heel!" What a pain, that was! The current "Standard" version is much better, in that regard. But, it would be nice to have the Maestro, and the deeper beveling, all around. Time will tell, no doubt.

CB

Hello SG dude!

GibsonWarriors guitar looks very good. Doesn´t it. Even though I think that wasn´t exactly cheap. He wrote about using an N.O.S. Maestro and they cost quite a bit. In e-bay for example they can be around 500.- Dollars. But I like the thought of having a new 68 SG. I´m not too much into old guitars - unless they grew old with me.

Kurt

it looks sweet!!!! if i could find a cheap angus young sig (which i wont) that is totally what i'd do. thanks for enlightening me!! a new '68 RI WOULD BE THE BUSINESS!!!!

it looks sweet!!!! if i could find a cheap angus young sig (which i wont) that is totally what i'd do. thanks for enlightening me!! a new '68 RI WOULD BE THE BUSINESS!!!!

A 68 RI would be THE GUITAR for me as well. But my fear is that gibson, if they ever did it, would make it more expensive, like other RI´s and V.O.S.´s. A 3500.- Euros + X guitar. In playability and sound the A.Y. signature is my best gibson so far and I think I will keep it as it is. On the other hand - if I were able to get a cheap N.O.S. Maestro? Who knows? My guess is that customizing the A.Y. may still be cheaper than buying a 68 RI in the end - if they´ll ever make one.

Kurt

A 68 RI would be THE GUITAR for me as well. But my fear is that gibson' date=' if they ever did it, would make it more expensive, like other RI´s and V.O.S.´s. A 3500.- Euros + X guitar. In playability and sound the A.Y. signature is my best gibson so far and I think I will keep it as it is. On the other hand - if I were able to get a cheap N.O.S. Maestro? Who knows? My guess is that customizing the A.Y. may still be cheaper than buying a 68 RI in the end - if they´ll ever make one.

Kurt[/quote']

good point man. i'm weighing up my options about buying an angus young although have faith my man!!!! things may change!!=P~

Faith is very good! The A.Y. is 1998.- Euros at the moment. As seen on a very big german gibson dealers homepage today. Full warranty and so on. That´s hard to beat, even if you add a Maestro and the headstock inlay. It´s even cheaper than mine was. If I had the money at the moment I´d get me a second one. But you´ll never know.

Kurt

Archived