Gibson Brands Forums

Authentics

BluesKing777

I know, Gibson acoustic forum....but it is a real world out there and everyone raves about the M Authentic line, so I was hoping to hear what they are like from a Gibson Player's view.

Guitar fund empty, but I was just really curious after reading about them daily on UMGF. There is not one to try within 10,000 miles of my place, or I would have.

FB could travel out to Forestville to try this one for us if he had a few moments to spare - but check the good old local hair curling prices:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Martin-D18-Authentic-1937-Acoustic-Guitar-w-hardcase-UNBELIEVABLE-NEW-/161072651074?pt=AU_Musical_Instruments_Instruments&hash=item2580ad9b42&_uhb=1

It really would want to be love with a capital L!

BluesKing777.

I had (have since it hasn't sold yet) a 1937 D-18 Authentic, wide chunky neck and a very very robust guitar. For a hack lik me it was truly a tiger by the tail. Fabulous guitar, perhaps the best I've ever played, but just way beyond what I need. Found a Legend that will suit me much better. The M Authentics are every bit as good as everyone says, at least the 37 D-18 A is really all its cracked up to be. Damn, maybe I should drive over to telluride and take it back from the store where its consigned...

I played a couple of the models but they did not make me want to give up my D41 Special.

Of the models I played I liked the feel and sound of the D-28 1931 and it was the only one that tempted me.

The slotted head and 12 fretter gave it a little more character and a different sound.

Kinda depends on how you feel about life without an adj. truss rod. And depends how you feel about these supplanting the GE and Vintage series (i upping the high end boutique ante).

I'm not sure how the lack of truss rod is going to pan out down the road - will Authentic owners have to get regular "neck steams" to keep them going?

See the price in my link - they think of a number and triple it here! I could fly to Nazareth or Elderly's or such, buy 2 Authentics, accommodation, a bit of tourism, and still come out in front.

BluesKing777.

I have had a D18GE for 10 years. When the 1937 D18A came out I took my GE to trade in on the authentic. I played them side by side and neither I nor my buddy could tell the difference, so I kept the GE and the cash. I know this goes against the conventional wisdom. Maybe I just have a real good D18GE.

I agree with Dave F about the 1931A. I liked the sound but there was no way I was dealing with the neck. I did not play that one against anything else.

Rich

Yeah, would having no truss rod merely mean that you might get a fret buzz from time to time with seasonal changes?

Shouldn't mean it's any more likely to be a candidate for neck resets than any other? No?

And BK , you have enough guitars.

"enough guitars"….???? I'm sorry, I don't understand…could you explain that further?

I personally have no problems with the T-Bar design. With all that mass around the neck heel the necks were solid as it gets.

But I do question the wisdom of some of the design elements being repeated. I keep recalling something my repair guy said about my 1942 J-50 - that it was so lightly built he would be hesitant to use any strings over light guage on it. Problem is I do not cotton to light gauage strings so might be riding with the angels on this one. I do stick with round core strings on this guitar though. But in the case of the Martin Authgentics, I know the D style guitars prior to around 1940 did not have popsicle bracing at thg soundhole. I am assuming the Autehntics are the same. Based on my experiences, this is something that gives me the heebie jeebies. I cannot tell you how many old guitars I have owned that lacked this bracing and how many of them experienced some top buckling. Thing is, the guitar builders changed designs for a reason and these changes were generally dictated by what guitars were coming back for what repairs.

I personally have no problems with the T-Bar design. With all that mass around the neck heel the necks were solid as it gets.

But I do question the wisdom of some of the design elements being repeated. I keep recalling something my repair guy said about my 1942 J-50 - that it was so lightly built he would be hesitant to use any strings over light guage on it. Problem is I do not cotton to light gauage strings so might be riding with the angels on this one. I do stick with round core strings on this guitar though. But in the case of the Martin Authgentics, I know the D style guitars prior to around 1940 did not have popsicle bracing at thg soundhole. I am assuming the Autehntics are the same. Based on my experiences, this is something that gives me the heebie jeebies. I cannot tell you how many old guitars I have owned that lacked this bracing and how many of them experienced some top buckling. Thing is, the guitar builders changed designs for a reason and these changes were generally dictated by what guitars were coming back for what repairs.

All good points, ZW.

The weirdest thing is the OM18 Authentic comes from the factory setup with, and a recommendation to use, medium strings! There's a head scratcher. I don't know about the other models.

And BBG, I DO have enough guitars, but I was curious to see what some Gibson players thought about these models that fill pages and pages of Forums! It was interesting that Dan has his D18A for sale because it was 'too much guitar'.

I have the OM18v and the HD28v from the vintage series, which supposedly has the best features of old and new for the modern player, and hopefully like Zombi mentioned above - most problems sorted. They are really great guitars that someone let go, probably to 'upgrade' to Authentics, though I don't know that. I met the owner of my HD28v and he seemed to have all his faculties as he let go a fab Martin.

It is also very interesting to see that these Authentics appear to be selling like hot cakes - love to see some figures.

BluesKing777.

"I had (have since it hasn't sold yet) a 1937 D-18 Authentic, wide chunky neck and a very very robust guitar. ----- Damn, maybe I should drive over to telluride and take it back from the store where its consigned..."

Aint no doubt.

I had (have since it hasn't sold yet) a 1937 D-18 Authentic, wide chunky neck and a very very robust guitar. For a hack lik me it was truly a tiger by the tail. Fabulous guitar, perhaps the best I've ever played, but just way beyond what I need. Found a Legend that will suit me much better. The M Authentics are every bit as good as everyone says, at least the 37 D-18 A is really all its cracked up to be. Damn, maybe I should drive over to telluride and take it back from the store where its consigned...

Not in the market for a Martin dread, but I'll be in Telluride in a few weeks, and looking at the TMC web site it looks like it's worth a look.

All good points, ZW.

The weirdest thing is the OM18 Authentic comes from the factory setup with, and a recommendation to use, medium strings! There's a head scratcher. I don't know about the other models.

And BBG, I DO have enough guitars, but I was curious to see what some Gibson players thought about these models that fill pages and pages of Forums! It was interesting that Dan has his D18A for sale because it was 'too much guitar'.

I have the OM18v and the HD28v from the vintage series, which supposedly has the best features of old and new for the modern player, and hopefully like Zombi mentioned above - most problems sorted. They are really great guitars that someone let go, probably to 'upgrade' to Authentics, though I don't know that. I met the owner of my HD28v and he seemed to have all his faculties as he let go a fab Martin.

It is also very interesting to see that these Authentics appear to be selling like hot cakes - love to see some figures.

BluesKing777.

I was being flippant about your collection BK.

The more the merrier! !

I totally understand your asking gibson players their opinion on different brands.

Like it or not we're all of a certain ilk in here with our love of the Gibson sound,.

I'd be more interested in a rock fans opinion of a new rock album than a classical music fan's opinion.

I was being flippant about your collection BK.

The more the merrier! !

I totally understand your asking gibson players their opinion on different brands.

Like it or not we're all of a certain ilk in here with our love of the Gibson sound,.

I'd be more interested in a rock fans opinion of a new rock album than a classical music fan's opinion.

Correct on all points, BBG, and keep being flippant please.

Yes, we want the brutal, not the fan.

BluesKing777.

Find the Authentics was over the top, Martins on steroids. The J-40 is still the best Martin Ive ever come across. Sparktly, balanced, resposive but still 100% Martin.

They want $4500 Aus dollar for a J40 at the local Martin dealer, so I didn't try it!

BluesKing777.

Not in the market for a Martin dread, but I'll be in Telluride in a few weeks, and looking at the TMC web site it looks like it's worth a look.

My 2007 Martin 1937 D-18 Authentic may still be there, I don't want to 2nd guess myself. There is a reason its there, its strong point is Bluegrass thru and thru. Telluride music is on the left side of the main downtown drag, on the left as you head toward the mountain, near the end. The sales guy there is named Tom. Don't know why it hasn't sold, perhaps its because he thinks its had a neck reset (it hasn't to my 2nd owner knowledge) he bases that opinion on the fact that there is no finish on the sides of the neck past the body. Its "Authentic' remember? There was no finish up the neck past the body on the 37s. Anyway, its a helluva guitar. ummm, oh shoot.... getting that feeling again. Maybe I'll put the JB on the block up at Willies on my way thru in a couple weeks, and I'll let fate decide. First to go, goes, and the other comes back home...

I can't keep track of all these variations on a theme and the attendant price fluctuations whether Gibson or Martin. I have stopped taking the bait and decided to be happy with what I have. I am, however, picking up a little Bedell Parlor for shxts and giggles. Carry on.

I can't keep track of all these variations on a theme and the attendant price fluctuations whether Gibson or Martin.

Exactly why I ask here!

It has been mentioned before that they could all cut their model lists back to the basics.

BluesKing777.

Find the Authentics was over the top, Martins on steroids. The J-40 is still the best Martin Ive ever come across. Sparktly, balanced, resposive but still 100% Martin.

I feel the same about the J40 ...it's all the Martin I'll ever need....

Archived