Gibson Brands Forums

Help with vintage J-45

HighPoint

My father is having some health issues and needing to sell some of his unused hobbies to help with medical bills. He has tasked me with trying to sell his Gibson J-45. It has a few small cosmetic blemishes and the back has some rough spots where the strap had a reaction to the wood from sitting so long.

He said it was purchased new by my grandfather in the late 60s for my father to learn on. He played it for about 4 or 5 years and was put in a closet for storage until I got old enough to try to learn, and I never took to it. Our local music shop said its in great playable shape and offered $1000 for it.

From the 6 digit serial number I believe it to be a 1966 J-45 ADJ, and the only other marking I found is a G on the inside where the neck attatches. Im hoping to get a better understanding of the guitar (what info I can get, and all the features the guitar has), and maybe a starting price for EBAY.

I am new to the guitar world and any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Trent

temporary-3.jpg

temporary-5.jpg

temporary-6.jpg

temporary-1.jpg

temporary.jpg

temporary-2.jpg

That's a pretty J, but with the adj rosewood saddle setup it'll fall into a category slightly lower in value to most vintage Gibson vintage shoppers. The music shop offered you a thousand bucks looking to sell it for $1800. That's where I'd start off with Ebay. You may wind up getting $2200, before all the freekin' fees.

The square shoulder model j45's were offered in the '69- 70's. If it were a '66 it would have the slope shoulders. I actually think the music store offer of $1k is a generous offer.

The 70's j45 are not very desirable not that there aren't some good sounding examples. I would be surprised to see it go for much more than $1200 on ebay, minus sellers fees, paypal expenses not to mention shipping hazards. I would reconsider the $1k walk away money.

Good luck either way.

By the serial numbers listed on Gibsons site, 820209 dates it to 1966. Also it says 1970 and up have made in the USA stamped below the number. So do you go by the numbers or the features of the guitar? I know it is lacking the made in USA stamp it clearly stated was added in 1970. Any input is appretiated.

temporary-9.jpg

Throw it up on Ebay w/o overthinking it, HP. Over time, it has become a site where true market value is usually dead-on. An underpriced guitar gets a lot of activity, an overpriced one sits and sits with few watchers. Have fun with it and don't expect a pot of gold.

Yep , what the previous responders have said [thumbup] Square shoulders equals 69-70...Not great....but no volute.....better. Probably a skinny neck? Very-nice looking guitar.....much to MY liking.

Not worth a fortune, and personally, would slightly be interested....only... after playing it first! $1000 buck aint a bad offer....

...on second look....$1500....IF it sounded good!

Okay, I will post it as a 1969 becouse of the lacking "Made in USA" stamp. I just want to be sure to post as much as I can correct, I have a thing for honesty.

What all features of the guitar do I need to list that will help the sale? Anyone know what the G stamped on the inside at the neck means?

Again, Thanks for your time.

About the only thing I can think of to list would be the nut width. If it has a 1 11/16" nut it would help sell the guitar. If it still has the 1 9/16" nut it is worth mentioning as it is something you will likely get asked about anyway but it will not be a big selling point.

Archived