Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
lazarusvt84

Reverb Site

Yeah, Super speedy shipping on my purchase. I was very satisfied, though all I bought was a pedal.

I've sold one item there, but haven't bought anything yet. I'm sure I will eventually buy some stuff cause I like the site.

Saw a lefty (rare) 1996 ES-335 Dot with repaired neck for $1500. In very good condition otherwise. This sound like a deal?

Not really. Depends on the repair.

Not really.

A pristine '95 gloss cherry dot recently sold on e-bay for $2150 (no "comps" from 1996). So I'll use that number for my explanation.

A neck repair would devalue the guitar by 50%, so now we're down to about $1100. A "Lefty" will devalue the guitar even more due to "market demand", or lack there of.

Without seeing the "neck repair" (assuming it a "pro" job, most aren't), it's my opinion that $1000 would be TOP dollar for this guitar. I'd start negotiating at about $750.

A "Lefty" will devalue the guitar even more due to "market demand", or lack there of.

This depends on the person. Some would argue that it being a lefty Increases it's value because there aren't as many lefties made as righties. You missed the other half of the model, "Supply & Demand". There are excessive numbers of right handed 335's in the world. This technically Lowers their value in the Supply & Demand model. However, there are more right-handed guitarists in the world, which increases their value. The opposite is true in both cases were Lefties are concerned; Less supply, higher value. Less demand, lower value.

Just a thought,

-Ryan

I'm assuming that when you say neck repair you're talking about a broken headstock repair. I'm with Larry - $1500 is too much for a 335 with a repaired headstock. More like $1,000 tops.

I appreciate the feedback.

The repair was done by a pro shop named by the seller...but it was not refinished. Let's assume it's a good repair...and it was done years ago and is holding strong.

Lefty ES-335s are SUPER rare....so I think demand exceeds supply. I've been looking for a used one for a couple years. The guitar has been on Reverb for 4 months at $2000...dropped recently to $1500. The break/repair at that price ($2000) has apparently been prohibitive.

As such, I think $1500 is reasonable...I may offer $1200...settle for up to $1500.

thanks again!

The $2,000 price is just terrible, so dropping it by $500 doesn't make $1,500 reasonable. Just my opinion. I'd have a hard time spending even $1,000 on it personally

The $2,000 price is just terrible, so dropping it by $500 doesn't make $1,500 reasonable. Just my opinion. I'd have a hard time spending even $1,000 on it personally

These are $3000 new...does it loose 2/3 of it's 'value' on acct of a break...which is really a perception matter at the end of the day?

These are $3000 new...does it loose 2/3 of it's 'value' on acct of a break...which is really a perception matter at the end of the day?

It may be a matter of perception at the end of the day, but a broke stock is a broke stock, and pretty much all of them go in the toilet once that happens. Almost impossible to sell, the explanations alone frighten people off. While I get that it is a lefty and you are prolly pretty hot to get all over that thing, I would suggest that waiting longer, or even saving more and getting Gibson to make you one would be way better in the long term. I don't know how old you are or how long you've been playing, so my advice may not apply.

rct

Think about how this relates to other products

I buy a brand new Mercedes for $75,000. I total it. I repair it functionally, but not aesthetically. Do you think $37,500 is a fair price? It's normally an expensive car, but this one has been totaled and it's only half price. Still pretty expensive though, there are plenty of good cars you can buy brand new for that price that haven't been totaled or previously owned. But $37,500 is a deal for that Mercedes right?

I guess the whole premise of this devaluing is that what you're buying is not the original product that commands such a high price. It's been changed in an undesirable way.

While you may love this guitar, you should try to get a fair deal on it

Reverb is a pretty good site, better than fleabay imo. It sounds like you're pretty set on the 335 no matter what advice is given so you might as well buy it.

Well I went on Reverb and did a search for it, and didn't find it. I assume either the OP or someone else bought it. :-k

Well, my search skills are slipping. :rolleyes: I don't know how I missed that. :)

While I'm no expert on guitar repair, I have read many times that a repaired head stock is structurally

as strong or stronger than original and it has no effect on tone, sustain etc. :-k

I have a 225 with a pro repaired headstock break (see avatar) and it has never been a problem for me. That said I would think you would want to visually inspect the repair, or better yet take it to a trusted luthier for an opinion before you buy at any price. Pretty tough when buying from an online dealer.

Its still there. I just don't agree that a neck repair is a totaled guitar. I'm now leaning towards a new Heritage H535.

https://reverb.com/item/79260-gibson-es-335-1997-red

That crack does not look bad...I'd be a player at $1,200 or so if I was in your position,

And by your position I mean a lefty, a lot less options on guitars and more expensive.

I just placed an add last night for an Ibanez pedal and it sold in less than 30 minutes.

That's encouraging. Got my son's Taylor 214ce-N and now my LP Trad (avatar) up on the site... 45 and 11 views respectively in just a few hours.

Well, my search skills are slipping. :rolleyes: I don't know how I missed that. :)

While I'm no expert on guitar repair, I have read many times that a repaired head stock is structurally

as strong or stronger than original and it has no effect on tone, sustain etc. :-k

I've heard the same thing... Although, I immediately click away and off anything with a head-stock or neck repair, it is said often they are just fine and I've even seen a buddy of mine that did a home repair on an acoustic going so far as to ram a bolt thru the headstock to shore-up his repair and the thing played and sounded just fine but looked like Frankenstein...

Having said that, a neck or headstock repair strikes me simply as a deal breaker as a knee-jerk response and I just can't seem to get my head around purchasing one that's been broken in such a way...

Having said that...

This has had such a repair and I'd buy it in a split-second given the opportunity and millions of dollars to burn...

See vid @ 8:18 mark...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHOdXWLrxPk&feature=youtu.be&t=8m18s

If The Holy Grail can survive that and sound this iconic, well I'd likely think any axe can...

But it may well be the reason why Gary Moore let it go in the first place...