Gibson Brands Forums

56 Country Western?

BeardedSeminole

I acquired this bad boy recently and I was trying to get some info on it. All that the guy knew was it was his wife's Step father's 56 Gibson. He was some Country Singer back in the day. Doyle Johnson I think. Said he toured with Dottie West. Had a bunch of pictures of the guy playing it throughout time in the pocket of the case. Still has the original case in pretty good condition. The Stamp imprint is V7087-10. From what I've gathered it's a First year Country Western, No? Over all it's in pretty good condition for being so old and it sounds great. Tell me about my new beauty and I'll tell you how I acquired it.

post-66188-050948700 1404324335_thumb.jpg

post-66188-056928200 1404324349_thumb.jpg

post-66188-059904500 1404324357_thumb.jpg

It seems to be a G damn cool ex of an almost 60 years ol' CW.

The V indicates 1956 as you figured yourself and I would say there is a chance it could have been a Southern Jumbo in its former life.

The headstock looks sanded and maybe the top had a treat too back in the day. Then again it's hard to judge from the pics.

Btw, the pick-guard isn't original - same thing with the tuners. . .

How does it sound ?

It seems to be a G damn cool ex of an almost 60 years ol' CW.

The V indicates 1956 as you figured yourself and I would say there is a chance it could have been a Southern Jumbo in its former life.

The headstock looks sanded and maybe the top had a treat too back in the day. Then again it's hard to judge from the pics.

Btw, the pick-guard isn't original - same thing with the tuners. . .

How does it sound ?

I'll snap some better pics in a couple hours when I get home. It sounds amazing. Slight buzz around the 2nd fret but I think that has to do with the pickup. But other than that it sounds f-ing righteous. I was going to take it in to the shop on Friday to have her looked at and see what they can do to spruce her up.

Looks like the tuners or tuner buttons have been replaced. If the headstock has been scraped it is entirely possible the guitar has been refinished which does leave open the possibility as already noted that it might have started life as an SJ.

SJ = Southerner Jumbo (being later shortened to Southern Jumbo). A C&W is a natural top SJ.

I really meant to say only that there is a possibility that the guitar started out as an SJ. If the headstock has been refinished you often find the same thing was done to the body. No way of knowing without eyeballing the guitar whether it once sported a burst or not.

Yep, as noted, "V" = 1956. So that part's right.

That is the first "official" year of the CW model, altho some '55s have been observed, and even a few earlier than that, but these were built as SJ-Ns, not CWs.

By 1956, it was typical that CWs had the rope-bordered Country Western label, like this:

1956-Gibson-Country-Western-015.jpg

I would think that it would be more likely a '56 CW would sport that label if it had been built as a CW than not. If it were an SJ, it would say "SJ" (or much less likely, "SJ-N" on the back centre strip, visible in the soundhole.

Fred

By 1956, it was typical that CWs had the rope-bordered Country Western label, like this:

Were there ever released one single Country Western without the lasso-label, , , if so, unknown to me.

Zomb - Thanx for underlining my first post with such precision ;-)

Original poster - Let's hear the sweet thing. .

Were there ever released one single Country Western without the lasso-label, , , if so, unknown to me.

Zomb - Thanx for underlining my first post with such precision ;-)

Original poster - Let's hear the sweet thing. .

Here's one, a '55, with a label, but not the laria CW label:

41d16569e875196403945eb3b7e2ceba31571fae_r.jpg

An interesting read.

Fred

Archived