Gibson Brands Forums

'51 Gibson LG2 for '62 Gibson J45

pocaloc

I was just looking for some opinions on a trade I'm considering. I own a 1951 Gibson LG2 in great shape with only a few minor scratches and no cracks. The only issue I guess would be that the bridge has probably been shaved down. I bought this because I found it for a phenomenal price, and at the time I was having shoulder issues playing my dreadnought. I've always loved the J45 sound, had one for years that I loved. The J45 is my dream guitar.

Anyway, I love this little LG2, but it doesn't have that bass thump or volume that I loved in a J45. It is perfect for what it's supposed to do though, a really nice example of one of these. I've really been thinking lately though that I miss the sound of the J45 full sized dreadnought. I've played a couple lately, and I do prefer a dreadnought to the LG2 sized guitar, although I do really like it.

My shoulder pain has disappeared and I realize it came from hauling around my child as a baby. Now that I don't carry him around, the pain doesn't exist at all.

My question is, would I be insane for trading a '51 LG2 for a '62 J45 with the adjustable bridge? The year is so much more desirable on the LG2, but of course, J45's are more expensive and generally more sought after. I figured that they are about on par value wise when you consider that. The J45 I'm looking at is also in nice shape, with no cracks, but does have a re-finished back, which doesn't really bother me. I would be able to trade my LG2, and add $400 to get into the J45. The trade value they offered me is $450 more than I paid for it. Any opinions on this possible trade?

Nahh. You can parlay the LG-2 for a kick-in to get a pre-adj bridge J. Trust me, if you've gone through the 'my shoulder/dreadnought monologue' when you go back to the J-45, you'll want a keeper. The LG-2 is worth $1600-$2000. Throw in an extra thou and shop late 50's.

Sorry...I'm living vicariously through you.

The one I'm looking at is billed as having a big neck. It also has the 1 11/16 nut.

A 1962 Gibson will have the 1 11/16" nut but in 1960 Gibson went to what they called the low action, fast playing neck or something like that. The only exceptions were the Folk Singer and 12 stringers which had wide but still fairly shallow necks. Not a good or a bad thing but if you do not like skinny butt guitar necks it is best to avoid any Gibson made after 1959.

What year did they go to the 1 9/16 neck out of curiosity? I tried a local '63 J45 and I didn't mind the sixe of the neck. I'm wary of getting into the local one because it has a fairly ugly repaired top crack. Oh, and thanks for the info.

What year did they go to the 1 9/16 neck out of curiosity? I tried a local '63 J45 and I didn't mind the sixe of the neck.

The transition year seems to be 1965, with reports of both 1-9/16" and 1-11/16" necks. Personally, I've found that some 1-9/16" & 1-10/16" necks, depending on the overall profile, work quite well for me. Unless it's obviously beat to hell from the written descriptor, I would never dismiss a Gibson from this era without a hands on evaluation, as there can be some tonal gems tucked away in there.

What year did they go to the 1 9/16 neck out of curiosity? I tried a local '63 J45 and I didn't mind the sixe of the neck. I'm wary of getting into the local one because it has a fairly ugly repaired top crack. Oh, and thanks for the info.

I look for guitars with stuff like big old ugly crack repairs because the first thing that pops into my head is a discounted asking price. It can always be repaired properly down the road.

I look for guitars with stuff like big old ugly crack repairs because the first thing that pops into my head is a discounted asking price. It can always be repaired properly down the road.

Yup!

I understand your dilemma, I have a 1947 LG and I had a 1960 and they are great guitars but I LOVE my 2007 J-45TV. However, if your dream guitar is a J-45, you love the sound, the LG-2 doesn't have the low end thump you love, the reason you went with a small guitar in the first place is gone (the pain), well I would trade it for a J-45. I would NOT trade it for a 1965 Adjustable. I would follow the advice of the fellow that said sell it and throw in some cash for a older model, or, you could find a real nice J-45TV for the amount of money you would get from selling the LG-2. My 2 cents.

• 2 weeks later...

I understand your dilemma, I have a 1947 LG and I had a 1960 and they are great guitars but I LOVE my 2007 J-45TV. However, if your dream guitar is a J-45, you love the sound, the LG-2 doesn't have the low end thump you love, the reason you went with a small guitar in the first place is gone (the pain), well I would trade it for a J-45. I would NOT trade it for a 1965 Adjustable. I would follow the advice of the fellow that said sell it and throw in some cash for a older model, or, you could find a real nice J-45TV for the amount of money you would get from selling the LG-2. My 2 cents.

I actually did make the decision to go with a newer J45. I had a J45-TV that I could get into, and then I found a semi-local shop (2 1/2 hours away) that had a custom shop 50's reissue J45 for sale that looked beautiful. I tracked down some info on them and they appear to be in the level of the TV models. A forum acquaintence from offsetguitars who lives in the tri cities, WA area went and did a thourough run through with really detailed photos and his review was really good. So now I just have to drive down there with my LG2. I put a little money on it so he would put it in the hold room for me, but I can back out if the trade doesn't seem right.

• 3 months later...

Archived