Gibson Brands Forums

Power Attenuators

Karloff

I've never tried one, but with clubs getting smaller, and my ears getting older, the thought of being able to really push the tubes in my amps without my ears going numb appeals to me. Any thoughts ? Sorry if this topic has already been beaten to death ...

I rarely play without one. My 18 watt Marshall clone has a really good post phase inverter master volume, so I don't often use an attenuator there. But on my Fenders I definitely do. I usually gig with a vintage Fender Princeton Reverb. I love the way it sounds with the volume on 5 but that's just too loud for our other guitar player who plays acoustic, so I attenuate down to about 30-40% of original volume and still keep that tone. Same with my 70s Deluxe Reverb. Sounds great on 8, but it freakin' ear piercing. So I attenuate it by about 75%. Lose a little treble but that's easy to add on the amp's front end.

I've heard that it puts extra wear and tear on the output transformer. Is that true?

Because to be perfectly honest, my little tweed Champ clone sounds like heaven on 12, but it's louder than I care for when practicing.

I've heard that it puts extra wear and tear on the output transformer. Is that true?

Because to be perfectly honest, my little tweed Champ clone sounds like heaven on 12, but it's louder than I care for when practicing.

It wears out your power tubes, not the transformer. Just like if you were to crank the amp without an attenuator, you're pushing the power tubes hard, so they don't last as long. And because it's at a bearable volume level with an attenuator, you're more likely to burn through them faster...

-Ryan

I use a Weber attenuator with my louder amps at home, and it works great. It usually keeps the same tone until 60-70% then it thins it out a little. A cranked Twin with an attenuator is one of my favorite setups [thumbup]

anyone know anything about the Eminence "Reign Maker" spkr w/the built in volume control?

besides the fact that it's expensive?

I've been curious about these too ... anybody?

I think I'm gonna eventually get me an attenuator too...

I'm tired of getting told to turn down by bar owners, show promoters, and drummers & guitarists at pub gigs...

Not that I'm a volume whore, but the volume wars seem like an unavoidable conflict when turning up to get better tone...

I have no clue what brands or styles are good at a reasonable price...

My Juice Box from Tubular Mods (Surfpup here on the forum) should be here in a couple weeks...he's just waiting on the enclosure, and then shipping time...

Can't wait.

-Ryan

i'm sold... gonna get one too.

You won't regret it. [thumbup]

The only reason I ordered another one is the one I have is 16 ohm and pretty much permanently hooked up to my JTM-45.

The new one is going to be 8 ohm attached to a DRRI.

I'm getting one of the larger ones for my 50-watt Marshall. Will most likely end up permanently connected as well...

-Ryan

I'm getting one of the larger ones for my 50-watt Marshall. Will most likely end up permanently connected as well...

-Ryan

yep, i'm going to get the larger one so I can use it with my 50 watt DSL, and my 30 Orange. 8 ohm ...

yep, i'm going to get the larger one so I can use it with my 50 watt DSL, and my 30 Orange. 8 ohm ...

The enclosures for the big ones should be coming in any day now...can't wait. Already got a couple other pedals from Surfpup in the mail...

-Ryan

Does SurfPup have a name on the bigger one yet?

I suspect I might need the bigger one on my Fender Blues Deluxe reissue or my Vox Concert 501. 45 & 50 watts respectively...

I'd definitely purchase one from him...

Maybe it should just have yellow stencil with a grapefruit instead of an orange... msp_biggrin.gif

Curious if he calls the bigger one by anything different...

And I'm definitely interested!

If I were smart enough to have looked into this last year I'd not had to give-up my Fender Blues Deville 410 that was just too damn much for me @ 60 watts... I traded down for my Blues Deluxe and took a hit...

I suspect I might need the bigger one on my Fender Blues Deluxe reissue or my Vox Concert 501. 45 & 50 watts respectively...

Maybe it should just have yellow stencil with a grapefruit instead of an orange... msp_biggrin.gif

If I were smart enough to have looked into this last year I'd not had to give-up my Fender Blues Deville 410 that was just too damn much for me @ 60 watts... I traded down for my Blues Deluxe and took a hit...

ahhh, i still kick myself for selling my Blues Deville 4x10...

The bigger one is still a Juice Box. I call them the Juice Box 25 and the Juice Box 50...

-Ryan

I have a Fender Blues Deluxe that I really enjoy but it's just too dang loud for me playing around home. I added a Weber Mass 50 attenuator and loved it again. Liked the Weber as it had a speaker "motor" vs just a resistive load. I tried other ways to turn down the preamp section and didn't like the results. Sounds like I'm really driving it nice but at a volume that I can keep brain matter intact still. If I run thru some power output tubes quicker then so be it. My motto is, if I don't play it the tubes would last forever, but why have the amp if I don't like playing thru it?

Weber is a great company and I will get some of their speakers when I have time to fiddle with my Vox AC 15 too.

Aster

mass1_zps762f76aa.jpg

Guest Farnsbarns

I think Surf did quite well outa this thread. I've been meaning to buy one of his attenuators for ages and this thread kick started that. As someone said up there, always good to support fellow forumites.

Archived