Gibson Brands Forums

tuner swap between guitars

meanstreak

Do you guys think there will be any hassles trading tuners on these guitars? Or should it just be a simple switch-out? Any advice or little tricks I should know before I get to it? I've never done it before but want to give it a try!

25hpnk6.jpg

If both are the same.

Shouldn't be a big deal.

Biggest issue might be possible finish damage when removing the bushings.

Go slow, push bushing out from inside hole. Don't pry them out.

Good luck.

If they're both the same exact tuners with the same screw mount hole position, it shouldn't be a problem. +1 with what dReit1 said about removing the bushings. Be very careful and take your time. I suggest removing one of the tuners on each guitar (same string, of course), and before messing with the bushings, first make sure the tuners are in fact interchangeable and the screw mount holes match. If all is good, go for it. Regarding bushing removal, I do it by working up through the holes, placing the blade of a flathead screwdriver against the bottom edge of the bushing and tapping carefully and gently, working my way around the bushing so it moves up evenly, one tap at a time. Attempting to push them out with one strong push could possibly cause problems. By taking your time little by little, you can check the progress and make sure all is okay.

Good luck!

DC

If they're both the same exact tuners with the same screw mount hole position, it shouldn't be a problem. +1 with what dReit1 said about removing the bushings. Be very careful and take your time. I suggest removing one of the tuners on each guitar (same string, of course), and before messing with the bushings, first make sure the tuners are in fact interchangeable and the screw mount holes match. If all is good, go for it. Regarding bushing removal, I do it by working up through the holes, placing the blade of a flathead screwdriver against the bottom edge of the bushing and tapping carefully and gently, working my way around the bushing so it moves up evenly, one tap at a time. Attempting to push them out with one strong push could possibly cause problems. By taking your time little by little, you can check the progress and make sure all is okay.

Good luck!

DC

ya that's the kind of tip I was after. Thanks gents!

I want to add to my previous post and suggest not using your hand/palm to tap the screwdriver when removing the bushings. The palm of the hand is too soft and the tendency is to use too much force. Use a block of wood or something solid that's not too heavy so you can control the force of the tapping.

DC

I want to add to my previous post and suggest not using your hand/palm to tap the screwdriver when removing the bushings. The palm of the hand is too soft and the tendency is to use too much force. Use a block of wood or something solid that's not too heavy so you can control the force of the tapping.

DC

got it, thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived