Gibson Brands Forums

does this happen to you too?

so recently i took my strat in for a set up. it wasn't that bad, but a little outta whack. i coulda done the work but sometimes after wrenching on things for a living all day i don't wanna fix things at home too. credit to the shop for doing a fine job, but minus points for allowing a cat to lay in the case. i'm allergic as hell. but the guitar otherwise plays soooooo good. i didnt realize how far i had let it go, so when i got it back i was quite surprised. but why? i knew i needed it done, but somehow didnt expect the difference to be so dramatic. same with changing the strings. i'm often pleasantly surprised how much nicer new strings sound and feel.

also with the bike. every time i put new rubber on it, i'm re-amazed at how much better the ride is. it's as if i continually "forget" just how good some things can be. am i alone in this? do any of you find this to be the case also? just curious, and what other things you may add

I think that is just the way things are in general, with guitars and anything else, you get use to things until they get so bad out of wack and then you fix them and wonder what took you so long.

My third car is a 1996 Chevy Cavalier convertible, I recently replaced tires, (balancing and alignment) and also replaced the motor mounts and even the muffler hanger the car rides incredibly smooth and quiet. Big difference.

On the guitar front my Stratocaster holds setups for a long time but right now needs adjustment badly, it was almost overnight that the action got way off.

Man I feel ya.Same here.

Philosophically speaking of course.Simply human nature it is.

The analogy I use,quite carefully so I might add; is the wife and myself.

We spend our life together.So naturally,the subtly of our aging goes by unperceptively to each of us.

It is only as we see our photographs from years gone past do we really realize how damn far we have fallen. Gravity sux!

Same with our instruments..I just restrung yesterday myself.Now the axe sounds like a new babe.But I do change strings,check set-up every month or so...Would do it more but alas, $ enters the equation.

When I had my old air cooled SS Ducati 900, it transformed every time I put a new front hoop on. I learned to ride using the back brake wherever possible as any ANY squaring of the front tyre altered the handling in a big way. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't experienced it.

Not so much...

But what I do sense is how good a guitar sounds to me that I haven't played in a while. If I put one of them down and don't play it for a time, when I finally break it out, I'm often pleasantly surprised at how good it sounds, and I wonder why I haven't been playing it more...

I think with the strings etc. it's often a case of the sum of many very small incremental changes that we don't notice while in use that eventually make a big difference that we will notice after a string change or some other tweaking...

Man I feel ya.Same here.

Philosophically speaking of course.Simply human nature it is.

The analogy I use,quite carefully so I might add; is the wife and myself.

We spend our life together.So naturally,the subtly of our aging goes by unperceptively to each of us.

It is only as we see our photographs from years gone past do we really realize how damn far we have fallen. Gravity sux!

Same with our instruments..I just restrung yesterday myself.Now the axe sounds like a new babe.But I do change strings,check set-up every month or so...Would do it more but alas, $ enters the equation.

True. I wish I had aged half as well as my old LG1. Or could improve as much by a 'setup'.

When I finally do a tweak, I'm amazed at the big difference a small tweak can make.

Yes, I love the smelll of new strings in the morning! But I hate changing them. I'm in a slowish process now of changing out my tuning machines to locking so I can make speedy changes.

Archived