Gibson Brands Forums

telecaster guitars

Richie123

hi does anyone on here play a telecaster .i know this a none related gibson subject . but the other day a guitar caught my eye in a second hand shop its a telecaster but its a copy not by fender the brand is wesley. i tried it and i was pleased with how the neck felt my question is are wesley a cheap crap brand or are they ok of course i know its not a real fender tele but is it in the same leauge as the squier affinity worse or better. anyone know ?????

I don't know the brand, BUT ... I purchased a Fender Modern Player Tele + a while back for 4 bills US new. Man, it plays and sounds great. The pickups are a non-traditional arrangement, but its awesome.

I recently saw one in a pawn shop with a $250 tag. I'm sure it could've been had for $200 or less.

I can't help with that brand, either. But, since you brought up Teles, I traded away my 1996 LP Studio, even, for a 2007 American Standard Tele modified with a DiMarzio Tone Zone T pickup in the bridge position with split coil capability, rosewood fretboard, thin neck. I never thought I'd own a Tele. I feel like I came out way ahead on that deal.

I can't help with that brand, either. But, since you brought up Teles, I traded away my 1996 LP Studio, even, for a 2007 American Standard Tele modified with a DiMarzio Tone Zone T pickup in the bridge position with split coil capability, rosewood fretboard, thin neck. I never thought I'd own a Tele. I feel like I came out way ahead on that deal.

Should have kiss them after that trade cause you screwed them. nice trade IMO

There are many Tele aficionados lurking hereabouts... [thumbup]

If it is cheap and in reasonably playable condition...do the deal...

Pickups can be upgraded easily...the design is elegantly simple and robust...

Many guitarists have at least one Tele and Strat in their collection

Because they are great guitars producing desirable single coil sounds

V

:-({|=

I don't care for Fender necks - don't own one and never have in more than 50 years of playing anything from rock to country to whatever one might play on an electric.

That said... that's me.

I think we need to consider that each of us is an individual and will have very different "feelings" toward different guitar shapes, geometries, sounds acoustic or electric...

So to me, the true bottom line is, if a guitar trips your trigger and it's in your pocketbook range, get it and the devil with whether anybody else thinks it's a good idea or not.

m

Should have kiss them after that trade cause you screwed them. nice trade IMO

I thought so, too, but both guitars had about the same sticker price, and he was very satisfied with the deal- it was his first Gibson and he preferred those pickups.

I'm with you Milod; I've always been a hollow/semi-hollow bodied, archtop, short-scale, rosewood/ebony, thin-neck, humbucker kind of guy. I got rid of my Strat for that very reason. But there is something about the sound of that Tele that is unique, and the neck on that guitar is very close to that of my 335, just a longer scale. As much as I like that Tele, I still don't play it all that often. But, the main reason I traded the LP is because I no longer bonded with it, and still prefer the Tele to the LP.

Ziggy...

I keep thinking that if there were a flat radius short-scale Tele I'd likely buy one for just the reason you stated: The unique sound.

But...

m

It took me twenty years to find "the" Strat for me. I have yet to come across "the" tele. I am thinking of changing my EVH Wolfgang Special into a single coil tele type guitar, because I love the neck on that thing and have so many humbucker guitars as well as a USA Wolfgang.

To the OP, never heard of that brand but I would think it would be at least on par with a Squier Affinity. Another tele to consider are the Squier Thinline series, they always get good reviews and are inexpensive.

Everyone needs a Tele, IMHO! [biggrin]

While I have never heard of that brand either, there are a lot of reasonably good Tele styles out there at great prices. It's hard to screw one up really. If it feels and sounds good to you - go for it. A new set of pups and pots is easy and not too expensive if need be.

There a many Tele aficionados lurking hereabouts... [thumbup]

If it is cheap and in reasonably playable condition...do the deal...

Pickups can be upgraded easily...the design is elegantly simple and robust...

Many guitarists have at least one Tele and Strat in their collection

Because they are great guitars producing desirable single coil sounds

V

:-({|=

My bad I missed it wasn't a Fender Tele , you might have got taken

My Tele 60th Anniversary American

Guitars003_zps4300edff.jpg

Guitars006_zps0ff3ae35.jpg

Guitars004_zps462826a9.jpg

Guitars002_zps8ed2b922.jpg

Everyone needs a Tele, IMHO! [biggrin]

While I have never heard of that brand either, there are a lot of reasonably good Tele styles out there at great prices. It's hard to screw one up really. If it feels and sounds good to you - go for it. A new set of pups and pots is easy and not too expensive if need be.

thanks mate yes im thinking of doing it up yes with new pups yes .ive all ways been more for strats but im now getting i go teles. i love the look of james burtons flamed tele

thanks mate yes im thinking of doing it up yes with new pups yes .ive all ways been more for strats but im now getting i go teles. i love the look of james burtons flamed tele

A Tele has a whole sound of it's on

I have never heard of the Wesley brand,so it's most likely a cheap Tele knock-off.I have seen really great Tele copies by Burney,Edwards,Fresher etc. but I have also seen copies that were dogs.An experience with a poor copy may distort someone's view of Teles and have them come away thinking that Teles are junk,when nothing could be further from the truth.I have 2 Teles,a MIM '04 model and a US made Vintage Hot Rod '52 with a Seymour Duncan mini-hum in the neck position.Even though the MIM cost only $350 very lightly used,it is in fact an exemplary guitar with a fabulous neck feel,great action,exceptional build quality and an extremely well done beautiful Midnight Wine finish.The Vintage Hot Rod '52 is an incredible guitar too with a very cool Butterscotch nitro finish and a neck that actually feels like it was made to suit measurements taken from my hands.Teles have been used by many of the top musicians of our time such as Jeff Beck,Jimmy Page(for all the first 2 albums and also for Stairway to Heaven)Bruce Springsteen,Danny Gatton,Toronto jazz great Ed Rickert etc. even Pete Townshend used them quite a bit in the late '60s and he also proclaimed them to be the most durable and hardest guitar in the world to destroy.

The great,clean treble tones of a Tele can cut through just about any mix without sounding shrill and when you want to cut back on the brightness of it,if you just roll back the tone pot to about 6 or 7 the Tele can produce an almost Strat like ringing tone.I have no qualms in recommending the Tele to anyone because it's a great guitar,even if you get one from the manufacturers I have mentioned as they are among the best of all Tele copies but I'd advise anyone to steer clear of copies of any guitars from sources that are unknown because they are most likely cheap knock-offs made up to make a quick profit by a 3rd rate guitar producer.

bonzo...

I dunno...

I've seen "cheap crap" guitars that ended up being excellent players sufficiently reliable for weekend warrior gigs - and often with either a decent enough "copy" sound or a unique sound that pickers were quite happy with them.

Or... as you said, some can even look good but are not particularly good for much of anything.

I still think my favorite "cheap crap" guitar was, and is, a 24 1/4" scale single pup 16-inch lower bout Harmony H65 archtop. Laugh at this if you will, but I'm thinking of looking for someone to either make a new neck of less than baseball bat proportions to fit the fingerboard or to have the neck reshaped. Yeah, I probably could doggone near buy a new guitar for the price but... in the late 70s you'd be surprised at how many saloon weekend gigs of various rock/country stuff it did quite well.

m

Hi Milod,I think that you have misinterpreted my statement regarding cheap guitars in meaning that I believe all cheap guitars are crap,which isn't what I mean at all.I too have seen cheap guitars that were exceptional guitars,in fact I have several-including '66 Harmony Archtone- and have seen many over the years.Cheap crap is indeed crap but I never have meant to equate the word cheap with crap at any time.I have seen expensive crap over the years too and cheap crap is crap too but I an always mindful that there is cheap excellence out there too.

Hi Milod,I think that you have misinterpreted my statement regarding cheap guitars in meaning that I believe all cheap guitars are crap,which isn't what I mean at all.I too have seen cheap guitars that were exceptional guitars,in fact I have several-including '66 Harmony Archtone- and have seen many over the years.Cheap crap is indeed crap but I never have meant to equate the word cheap with crap at any time.I have seen expensive crap over the years too and cheap crap is crap too but I an always mindful that there is cheap excellence out there too.

I might be dumb but I only buy American made Gibson & Fender guitars

Never heard of 'em...

Possibly it is this guy: John Wesley Guitars of the UK...

If the logo looks like either of these, then it's him:

wesley_logos.jpg

Apparently he's no longer making new models. So to some extent it's a bit of a collectible.

If it is from him, I think he made everything custom in The UK, so I suspect the quality may be quite good...

http://wesleyguitars.co.uk/

Here are some online reviews @ Ultimate Guitar.com: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/electric_guitars/wesley/index.html?no_takeover

If it's the same name brand...

Never heard of 'em...

Possibly it is this guy: John Wesley Guitars of the UK...

If the logo looks like either of these, then it's him:

wesley_logos.jpg

Apparently he's no longer making new models. So to some extent it's a bit of a collectible.

If it is from him, I think he made everything custom in The UK, so I suspect the quality may be quite good...

http://wesleyguitars.co.uk/

Here are some online reviews @ Ultimate Guitar.com: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/electric_guitars/wesley/index.html?no_takeover

If it's the same name brand...

thanks for this mate . is there abything on telecasters by wesley. and i can honestly say the one ive tried felt really good in my hands the feel of the neck felt great as well. it felt like it was well made

4Hayden...

With all due respect, I find it interesting how in one thread there's nothing but virulent criticism of Gibson and/or Fender and in another thread Gibson and Fender can do no wrong.

My own opinion is that especially as long as guitars are made of wood, especially if there is handwork, there will be difficulties involved.

If Gibson and Fender have all the sorts of quality instruments that trip your trigger, and fit your pocketbook, I'm very happy for you. I'm just not in that category.

Believe me, nothing against Gibson, but what of such as Martin? Even Gallagher? I'm not a Taylor fan at all, but many folks are. And there are some outstanding lesser-known makers out there whose guitars are in roughly a high-end Gib/Fen/Mar price level.

What of classical guitars? Hauser or Jose Ramirez? Five figures and some folks think they're not "ready" until they've been completed and on a shelf a cupla years.

To me, there are some guitars of different sorts that simply "fit" and are of professional playing-out quality. There are others that may be more or less expensive that I'd not be likely to play, or be at all comfortable with.

m

Archived