Gibson Brands Forums

'Band-Aid' Adhesive Removal!!!!

BluesKing777

I have stuck myself in the side of my left thumb and have been wearing Band-Aids (to stop bleeding all over the neck of my guitars).

NOTHING and I mean nothing will stop me practicing!

I have done this before when injured, but used the cloth Band-Aids.

Unfortunately, I picked up a new box of the bandages that are 'water-proof', and I didn't notice the stuff disintegrating......and now have the adhesive ALL over the back of the neck of my J45!

And before I noticed the stuff everywhere, I went and changed guitars and put more adhesive stuff all over my D28.

I have been rubbing little balls of it and pulling the little bits off, but of course I have played all over the necks like a show-off and the stuff is everywhere!

So there is a WARNING for others here too - I think the stuff on the bandage has reacted with the nitro finish perhaps?

WTF am I going to get it all off with, preferably not destroying the finish?

BluesKing777.

NOTHING and I mean nothing will stop me practicing!

Hehe, , , that's the spirit

The more serious department - How about the right cloth and some hot water, then oil where oil would work.

I think Ronson Lighter Fluid on a soft cotton cloth should work without hurting anything. Also a little WD-40 on a soft cotton rag would also work. There's a product clled Gum-Off that would be very safe. If it's a '37 Advanced Jumbo, disregard everything that I just said. I'll trade You a nice shiny 2002 Advanced Jumbo even up gum and all!

Sorry for your mishap, BluesKing. This is not a stupid topic, just one about a bad situation. :(

Don't know what you are using for cleaning your guitar or conditioning fretboards, but maybe this helps for removing the unwanted remains. On the other hand, most adhesives are better soluble in water than in oil, so putting on wet cloths for several hours might soften that stuff.

Anyway, I wish good luck to you, and may your guitar be glossy and shining again.

I briefly owned a 1955 gold top. It had been in the case for decades. A high end collector and prospective buyer contacted me and practically threatened to do me bodily harm if I used anything but naphtha to clean it.

That about sums it up.

BK7, a couple of months ago I got some heavy duty glue on the relatively new table top of my wife's new kitchen table. Wood veneer with some kind of sealer finish. I tried several things, alcohol, goo b gone, etc. nothing worked. Finally, slowly got it off with silver polish, which left it with a different sheen than the res of the top. Took a lot more time to even it out with McGuires Auto Scratch removal, elbow grease, etc. Then, when done, I put some lemon oil on the whole table top to shine it. Found there was a spot of glue off to the side I had missed. The lemon oil took it off cleanly in seconds!

Now - as we all know - you can't use lemon oil on nitrocelulose, but my point is - you never know for sure what will work. Until it actually works.

I would get a bandaid and stick it on something and lake it off and then try various things on the residue adhesive before messing with my guitar.

On a side note, I had a one inch drip mark from lemon oil on my SJ200 neck from putting lemon oil on the fretboard carelessly shortly after I first got it. it was the only blemish so it stood out. But, gradually, over time - it has disappeared! I don't know if it is because of the Gibson Polish I use every 4 or 5 months, or the miraculous self-healing properties of nitro over time (5 years?)- but it is definitely gone.

Of course I would never, ever, risk getting a drop of lemon oil on the finish again.

FWIW.

Thanks for the replies!

I have managed to 'roll' each little bit of adhesive off by hand.

The finish is all smeared and I have some Virtuoso Polish I will use. It has a mild cleaner mixed in with the polish.

What a nuisance that adhesive stuff is!

BluesKing777.

I have managed to 'roll' each little bit of adhesive off by hand.

The finish is all smeared and I have some Virtuoso Polish I will use. It has a mild cleaner mixed in with the polish.

What a nuisance that adhesive stuff is!

I've reached the point where a few pics would be in place. .

Ouch for a greasy mess - not to mention that sneaky way it ambushed you.

'Xactly that kind of thing you don't want to happen. . .

Good Winds to you

Thanks Em7!

Most of the stuff is gone in the pics - I pulled it all off a piece at a time, but you can see the smears. ( a real pain in the capo!)

For future reference, don't use the 'waterproof' ones while playing your guitars, people! Had some kind of horrible reaction to the nitro, maybe.

The fabric ones seem ok - I have used them quite a lot of the years - often stick ourselves on the string end or a sharp case latch or something:

http://www.band-aid.com/products

BluesKing777.

As has been mentioned, naphtha, which is the principle ingredient in 3M Adhesive Remover, is a near-universal solvent for adhesive residues, and doesn't hurt a nitro finish if used judiciously.

Use pure naphtha, not the 3M Adhesive remover, which contains other possibly more aggressive solvents. A little on a cotton cloth goes a long way. Don't rub hard enough to heat up the finish.

In the US, you can buy this at Lowe's, Home Depot, or any good hardware store. Cheap as chips, and a quart will last a lifetime.

As has been mentioned, naphtha, which is the principle ingredient in 3M Adhesive Remover, is a near-universal solvent for adhesive residues, and doesn't hurt a nitro finish if used judiciously.

Use pure naphtha, not the 3M Adhesive remover, which contains other possibly more aggressive solvents. A little on a cotton cloth goes a long way. Don't rub hard enough to heat up the finish.

In the US, you can buy this at Lowe's, Home Depot, or any good hardware store. Cheap as chips, and a quart will last a lifetime.

Thanks Nick.

I was about to delete the photos above to make space on my photo account thingy, and then Nick turns up with definite advice!

You have been scarce, Nick - I hope you have been busy and not unwell, or cheesed off!

BluesKing777.

Can't get naphtha here!

They have similar - Shellite/lighter fluid....

I have nearly worn all the junk off the J 45 by some fierce playing!

I thought the guitar sounded waaaaaaaayyyyyy better with the sticky on, I regret to say.

BluesKing777.

Archived