Gibson Brands Forums

Recording Gear

I am considering buying some gear to record music. I have two soundproof music practice rooms available that I think would make perfect recording studios. I want to start with low end gear to begin with. I have been snooping out the Tascam line, but I want the opinion of you more seasoned forum recording artists. By the way, I have a HP laptop (7i) that I would be using to store the recordings. Let me know what your suggestions are, thanks. [smile]

Doug

Focusrite makes great interfaces at affordable prices. I have the Scarlett 2i2 and it's worked flawlessly for me (after updating drivers and such..).

And of course you need microphones...an SM57 and something like a Røde NT1-A or other decent quality condensor mic will cover most of your bases.

Just my suggestions,

-Ryan

If you are just recording guitar a two input interface will do. If you want to record drums I'd recommend getting something with 8 tracks, a friend has a Focusrite and a full set of Sure mics and that's all you need.

I have the Scarlett 2i2 and it's worked flawlessly for me....

I've heard good things about that interface. If you want to stick with Tascam, that US-144MKII looks like it would do the trick quite nicely. It's apparently 95 bucks at amazon and comes with an updated version of Cubase LE ("lite"), which is still a powerful little home studio program. (You probably won't need over 48 tracks, will you? ;) )

The one thing not to skimp on is microphones. Going used can get you a cache of good mics. The more mic diversity, the better. If you start recording everything with the same mic your mixes will all have the same color.

Love my Zoom R24 ... R16s are similar sans sampler functions

Yep, I like recording on my R16.

The great thing about the R16 and R24 is that they allow you to record through 8 inputs simultaneously.

Being a drummer that is the main reason I chose it. [thumbup]

Thank you all for your input. I don't think I will be recording any drums to begin with, although a buddy of mine does have a set, so maybe down the road. I don't think I will need more than 2-4 inputs, but I do have 4 Behringer Mics that may or may not be adequate. I also want quality stuff, so it sounds good. All these great suggestions will give me something to do during lunch tomorrow at work. [biggrin]

I have a Fostex 16 track HD recorder

A Samson wide diaphragm condenser microphone

a Line 6 floor pod

and my drummer has a yamaha electric drum set.

Now this is just my little home toys the band has a full pro tools studio

DV020_Jpg_Jumbo_700843_tray_open_top.jpg

I like the looks of this toy, thanks, Donny. [thumbup]

Doug

The one thing not to skimp on is microphones. Going used can get you a cache of good mics. The more mic diversity, the better. If you start recording everything with the same mic your mixes will all have the same color.

Thanks, EVOL. I have 4 Behringer mics that may or may not be adequate. I have used them in the PA system at my theater for about 15 years, now, so they may need to be replaced. Don't know, that's why I am asking you guys. [biggrin]

I've heard good things about that interface. If you want to stick with Tascam, that US-144MKII looks like it would do the trick quite nicely. It's apparently 95 bucks at amazon and comes with an updated version of Cubase LE ("lite"), which is still a powerful little home studio program. (You probably won't need over 48 tracks, will you? ;) )

Thanks for the link, Cougar. I will check it out. 48 tracks to start with might be a bit of an overkill. B)

If you are just recording guitar a two input interface will do. If you want to record drums I'd recommend getting something with 8 tracks, a friend has a Focusrite and a full set of Sure mics and that's all you need.

Thanks, Riffster. That sounds about like what I am looking for minus the drums to begin with. [thumbup]

Focusrite makes great interfaces at affordable prices. I have the Scarlett 2i2 and it's worked flawlessly for me (after updating drivers and such..).

And of course you need microphones...an SM57 and something like a Røde NT1-A or other decent quality condensor mic will cover most of your bases.

Just my suggestions,

-Ryan

Thanks for your suggestions, Ryan, I will definitely check them out. :)

Yes I liked it too because the last one I owned was a Tascam 8 track cassette that looked and operated just like one of these, and Tascam makes an even better 24 track version all editing and effects are on board its got the old timers in mind like us who just want a play record and rewind button to push.

This is cooler [biggrin]

http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/r24

No motors spinning inside

Archived