Gibson Brands Forums

Continuing Story of My 37 L-0 Neck Set....

BluesKing777

Thanks Nick, I knew you would spot it!

The original job was neck reset, then fretboard, then bridge...then.....

He rang me the other day to say it would be finished today, said quote "this is now a killer guitar" and suggested we take all the junk off the headstock. I mentioned the ebony veneer head plate on my National M14.....and does he have any Klusons? He had the gold logo on hand, but no white script, and some gold Klusons! I said go with it - it wasn't a restoration really - ebony board and bridge instead of R/W. Bone nut instead of ebony...but just a sensational bit of work! My custom vintage....

BluesKing777.

Hey, I have a history of doing over-the-top mods on guitars, so I understand completely. I think the ebony parts are a great call. What style frets did you put on?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A question, BK. How much saddle reveal did your luthier set up to get the desired break angle. Can you give me a height at the 1st, 6th, and center? Not metric, puleeez.

Thanks!

Sure JZ!

So I find my trusty Stewmac String Height Guage and place it....where?

1st fret 6th and 1st string, 6th fret 6th and 1st string, and 12th...etc?

BluesKing777.

Thanks, but no, I'm asking for the height of the actual saddle that shows above the top plane of the bridge at each end and middle. How tall does it rise above the top of the bridge, in other words.

My luthier seemed to be OK with the rather low profile saddle I currently have on my guitar, but I'd like him to reset to allow for a taller piece of bone. He's busy and elusive, so if he can't do all the work I'd like done I'd like him to set the action dangerously low so I can install my own piece of bone without neutralizing the new gain in playability. He probably won't get to the bracing issues, unfortunately.

Maybe one of the other forum members knows if there is an ideal saddle height. Chime in if you know, please.

Thanks, but no, I'm asking for the height of the actual saddle that shows above the top plane of the bridge at each end and middle. How tall does it rise above the top of the bridge, in other words.

My luthier seemed to be OK with the rather low profile saddle I currently have on my guitar, but I'd like him to reset to allow for a taller piece of bone. He's busy and elusive, so if he can't do all the work I'd like done I'd like him to set the action dangerously low so I can install my own piece of bone without neutralizing the new gain in playability. He probably won't get to the bracing issues, unfortunately.

Maybe one of the other forum members knows if there is an ideal saddle height. Chime in if you know, please.

Not for sure what the ideal height is but if the neck angle is perfect it should be twice the height of the strings at the 12th fret.

I would think the higher the saddle and the right material would add or change the sound. Maybe better maybe not.

Ok..saddle.....about 3/32 bass, 5/32 middle, 4/32 treble....not enormously high but working beautifully!

(If you click once on my photo of the L-0, you will launch the photo crowd where I have a few other photos ...one of the saddle...)

BluesKing777.

I did lots of recordings yesterday!

Here is a couple of demos to try and show a bit of range:

Pop Rock type - my version of David Bowie's "Space Oddity"

https://soundcloud.com/bluesking777/space777c

And some blues - my version of Furry Lewis' "Dryland Blues"

https://soundcloud.com/bluesking777/drylandblues777c

Some more photos below, but now that's it, my fingers are murdered and there are glue fumes overwelming me in my little music room......

BluesKing777.

Great pics! A keeper. Thanks for the clear bridge shot. Here's a dopey question. What's it strung with?

Thanks all.

Frets are low and wide and I have looked at the suspected Les Paul, but they are slimmer...maybe I will have to ask him..for Nick.

Strings...I supplied my MB12s, but I suspect they are still in the case with the old tuners, bridge, pins......I think they are the Martin SPs and if I look in the hole, they should have diff ball ends.

Yes, BBG, I was expecting it a tad taller, but I guess that allows for future adjustment and this is done for NOW?

OK.......should I get it done in black finish and be done with it? Leave it natural? It is a strange but wonderful beast with lots of new to the left and lots of old to he right! Few sprays of black might tie it together...???

BluesKing777.

Perfect as is. I'd grab you by the shoulders and shake you if you suggested black in my presence.

It's interesting to see the saddle height rising from bass to treble. I always assume an arc in the same profile as the fretboard. Maybe it's to compensate for the modern bridge which is squared off rather than angled. Good idea to leave room for future tweeks, too.

After playing approximately 9000 tunes since I got the guitar back on Friday (is that possible?), I think I need to get a few adjustments to the action already ....probably what a sensible player would need in about 2 months time!

Just a bee's hair of the nut and a professional check of the bridge plate...hope it was a string end settling!

"I got blisters on my fingers!" John Lennon.

I think he (luthier) would rather I wait for a week or two to give hime a chance to catch up on all those little neglected guitars sitting in his shop.

But generally after all those bits in pieces ...WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BluesKing777.

Archived