Gibson Brands Forums

Continuing Story of My 37 L-0 Neck Set....

BluesKing777

This whole series has been immensely entertaining. I think my two favorite Gibsons on this forum are this one and the J-50 with the reversed book matched top that got turned into a J-45. BluesKing777 I do have a question though; there are some black streaks emanating from the side of the soundhole closest to the bridge that parallel the strings above and I can't figure them out. Are they stains on top of the wood or, as they appear to me in your pictures, are they actual grooves in the wood that have collected mojo over the years? And if they are grooves in the top what do you think caused them? Beautiful photography throughout too, by the way. Congrats on a stellar instrument and your spending the time and money to keep it alive and functioning.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whatever you do, don't paint that guitar! If you look up the meaning of "mojo" in the dictionary, there's a picture of your guitar next to it. I think it's awesome.

I had the paintbrush ready too! Nice handpainted look, streaks and all.....I could keep going and do the old bike next!

BluesKing777.

This whole series has been immensely entertaining. I think my two favorite Gibsons on this forum are this one and the J-50 with the reversed book matched top that got turned into a J-45. BluesKing777 I do have a question though; there are some black streaks emanating from the side of the soundhole closest to the bridge that parallel the strings above and I can't figure them out. Are they stains on top of the wood or, as they appear to me in your pictures, are they actual grooves in the wood that have collected mojo over the years? And if they are grooves in the top what do you think caused them? Beautiful photography throughout too, by the way. Congrats on a stellar instrument and your spending the time and money to keep it alive and functioning.

Thanks MP!

Sorry but I have no idea what the dark marks are from - they are fairly deep cracks, splits and crevices. I often contemplate this very thing while picking the guitar! I think they are too deep to be showing the original finish which usually was black. I think it may have had many lives including a few refinishes, with the last one done with paint stripper apparently, taking the previous dark stain..mostly off? The luthier and his assistant couldn't believe that whoever did the MOP on the fretboard could just keep going after totally mucking up the first inlay, meanwhile leaving the whole back alone except for some serious sanding...no rhinestones? Possibly in one of it's lives?

Lots of country blues played on it over the weekend!

BluesKing777.

Have you considered a mural, BK? Or a faux finish behind the Aussie flag? In black, the bridge and fingerboard would disappear, giving you a 'stealth' look. Speaking of the bridge, I'm looking at a BR on Ebay, that claims to be from a Martin, however I believe it to be Gibson or some other rectangular. Perfect for you to stash in the event yours pulls up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200977095437?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT#ht_0wt_0

Have you considered a mural, BK? Or a faux finish behind the Aussie flag? In black, the bridge and fingerboard would disappear, giving you a 'stealth' look. Speaking of the bridge, I'm looking at a BR on Ebay, that claims to be from a Martin, however I believe it to be Gibson or some other rectangular. Perfect for you to stash in the event yours pulls up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200977095437?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT#ht_0wt_0

What about a mural with my dog?

I don't need the bridge, thanks - I have all the old bits in my case! Probably the Brazilian Rosewood bridge is worth more than the guitar?

The luthier had to plane the old fretboard off - wasn't original and glued with something horrible that wouldn't come off?...FYI..

BluesKing777.

Archived