Gibson Brands Forums

How did you learn to play a guitar

4Hayden

A friend introduced me to a band called KISS. At twelve years old, this was magic to me and now I wanted to do this thing called rock. I Enrolled in the junior high schools guitar program and learned some basic stuff. I then read every guitar player mag I could afford, asked others to show me stuff. I finally took private instruction for a short bit. Then some college courses, finally I took a two year full time musicians program. That was some of the best times of my life. I still to this day, seek out new stuff to learn, or new approaches to things I already know.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't take any lessons for my guitar playing,when I was 12 my buddy and I both took our hand me down guitars and started learning the chords from an old Mel Bay chord book that his father had owned in his youth.We spent the entire summer going through that old book and literally playing until our fingers bled as both guitars had such ridiculously high action and heavy duty Black Diamond strings.The closest thing that I ever got to a lesson was when my parents bought me the first Monkees chord book and I asked him what the dots and lines were in the boxes over the music notation.It was when he told me that they were the chord diagrams that my song list increased substantially.BTW the first rock song that I learned was "Wild Thing" and it was also where my adulation of Chris Britton began.Chris was and still is the lead guitarist for The Troggs.

I am entirely self taught and it is when I first heard Jimi Hendrix and the incredible sounds that he got from his guitar on his first album that I became totally obsessed with guitar to the point that I would listen so intently to each song for so many times and slowly deconstruct each phrase of each song to try and work out how he got such incredible sounds,often without any effects.With stubborn perseverance,I managed to pick out a lot of his tricks without the benefit of videos,it was purely from listening intently to every note he played and that really paid off for me in the long run.

I had a really cool Physics teacher who used to give the class work to do, and whilst we did it , he would sit on the work benches around the walls of the classroom and play his guitar. When a few of my mates and myself talked to him abut it, he offered to teach us during lunch breaks. He taught us a few chords and one or two riffs, and that set us off. The actual music lessons at our school were terrible, all we ever did was sing hymns. Mr Porter the physics teacher was a great bloke, he'd do anything to help anyone!

Ian

Sounds like he was a cool dude

Inspired by George Harrison and a neighborhood friend, I started taking lessons around 1964, when I was 11. My parents bought me a cheap, POS, nylon stringed, flamenco guitar reject from a local luthier. The luthier's daughter (a young, hot, hippie chick) taught me cowboy chords and Bob Dylan and Woody Guthrie protest songs (I've been a hippie ever since). A couple years later, I got a cheapo, Kent, one pickup, electric, but no amp, so I bought an adaptor and plugged into the back of my parents' RCA console record player. Lost interest around 16. If I could have gotten anything decent at that age, I might have stayed interested. But as it was, I didn't get halfway serious again until I bought a Takamine F-341 acoustic around '82. Started taking lessons again around 2003 on and off until 2012.

I like your name zigzag

My wife gave me a mandolin when I was 49 (I loved the sound), I bought some Mel Bay books and started teaching myself. Then when I turned 50, I decided it was time to buy my first acoustic guitar (Johnson) and between my brother in law showing me a few chords and Mel Bay, I have become a mediocre mandolin player and a half-assed (not too fast and not too slow) guitar player. I never have been good at picking up songs by listening to them, but I can read music, so that helps. I use my playing to soothe my soul, kind of like meditation and pot used to when I was a hippie wannabe in the 70's. [biggrin]

My wife gave me a mandolin when I was 49 (I loved the sound), I bought some Mel Bay books and started teaching myself. Then when I turned 50, I decided it was time to buy my first acoustic guitar (Johnson) and between my brother in law showing me a few chords and Mel Bay, I have become a mediocre mandolin player and a half-assed (not too fast and not too slow) guitar player. I never have been good at picking up songs by listening to them, but I can read music, so that helps. I use my playing to soothe my soul, kind of like meditation and pot used to when I was a hippie wannabe in the 70's. [biggrin]

I was a hippie wannabe in the 70's too

My mom started me on piano at 4. Hated every minute of it. Trumpet at 4th grade and continued until first cupla years in college and loss of my front teeth.

I've always been a horrid sight reader. I can tell the notes, but not really the timing. I can parse the sentences but read them like a slow machine reader. Dunno why.

For some reason, though, with music I knew I could get along either pretty decently by ear or with music. I already knew about different keys and such in a theoretical but kinda "detached" mind set. Again, dunno why.

Music taste has always been awfully eclectic. So I went by ear 99 percent of the time. Started reading a bit for classical and flamenco guitar; was privileged to have two or three classes with classical master Christopher Parkening in the early '70s. Those were my only lessons. <grin> I'll never forget his comment that my right hand was doing okay but my left looked as if I'd done too much bluegrass.

That latter is, I think, something that highlights comments from guitar/music master Mundell Lowe from an old TV show: There is no standard "method" for teaching guitar that covers the spectrum of how the instrument might be used. A classical player will have certain material and training; a jazz player will have a somewhat similar course but with more emphasis on chords and alternate chording. A country player could be trained for old-style passing chord rhythm guitar or lead guitar or whatever; a rock player usually a more standard "rhythm" and "lead." A folkie might be taught in a number of ways. Then there are ten thousand variations on the theme.

I think "we" all need to know some basics of "theory," but I question that lessons will be rewarding unless the teacher is working the student toward the student's goals. For example, I question that a "single string lead guitar" goal picker would be at all happy with what I might teach - but I've had a number of students I worked with in the late '60s and early '70s go on to play for money. I think most of that was hitting basics of chords, cycle of 5ths, time signatures and carrying those ideas into some basic folkie stuff to develop better relaxed flexibility than I have myself. Never tried to teach them to "read" per se, though. All knew how to read as I had known how to read from other instruments, and it wasn't "important" to what they saw as probable gigs.

m

Always wanted to play guitar, but was forced by my parents to play crappy instruments I didn't want to play. When I got my first pay packet, I bought a Les Paul copy (I was 18). Mostly learned by ear, but had a few helpful pointers from a family friend. Gave it up when I was about 20 (lack of confidence), took it back up at 21, never looked back.

Both. Started piano lessons at 7. 2 yrs. Then trombone in school til I was 13. Never learned to read music. Too lazy. I knew where the note was on the instrument but couldn't tell you what key I was in. Took guitar lessons for 10 months. It was then that I cared enough to really learn. But the yrs of being lazy developed my ear. It's good to have both

Both. Started piano lessons at 7. 2 yrs. Then trombone in school til I was 13. Never learned to read music. Too lazy. I knew where the note was on the instrument but couldn't tell you what key I was in. Took guitar lessons for 10 months. It was then that I cared enough to really learn. But the yrs of being lazy developed my ear. It's good to have both

I agree if you can read music and play by ear , I think that makes the best player

I've done both.

Lessons and by ear.

I'm still learning.

Almost 20 years off didn't help either.

But whatever. Shoulda coulda woulda.

Not making excuses.

I kinda suck. It is what it is.

I have fun!

All kidding aside...

I think the comments here - and on previous threads with basically the same question - show that among other things, the guitar is not one instrument, but many.

It appears one can play adequately to quite well in a single style and be considered "successful" by self and others.

But... how many rock gods could match Segovia on classical guitar or, conversely, how many classical pickers could do rock lead?

And how many of either could match a Joe Pass in jazz?

It's more than technique, too.

I've known a number of "classical" musicians who not only were excellent and talented technicians, but who also were creative as writers. But - when they performed, hadda have the map in front of them. Then there were the high-end old fiddlers who couldn't read a note, but could do anything from "old time" to jazz fiddle and, if they heard it enough, about anything "classical" as well.

It's not laziness or lack of creativity on the part of either the talented reading-type musician or the talented ear-only musician, I think, but more a matter of how each of us might be "gifted" in how we perceive music. For example, if I know the tune, the written music helps ensure I get the right note with the right timing. If I don't know the tune, the music is almost worthless in terms of putting music into my head. I don't think I'm talented in general, but I think I'm skilled enough to play a lotta stuff that I can't read and get the spirit of what's on paper.

The old blues guys? Yeah, WC Handy was a talented "classically trained" musician when he wrote "St. Louis Blues," but few of the folks playing blues in saloons for folks to dance to had that kind of education. On the other side, very few "classically trained" folks seem to be able to loosen up and just play, regardless of style.

I'm not sure that there's any sort of "guitar course" that will make would-be pickers happy.

m

I play "by ear" I guess. I had a chord book when I was younger. I played some when I was in school and then picked it back up about six years ago and learned some stuff. I mostly listened to records and copied them by trial and error when I was younger. I watch lessons on the internet now.

In a way, my style is derived more from my deficiencies than my strengths. I'm too old to try to learn it all, and in the areas of site reading and playing fast, I am not mentally configured to do those well. I love to improvise, and occasionally, I'll stumble across a few good melodies. That is what keeps me coming back.

Unfortunately, I've probably forgotten more songs than I remember. If I don't practice a song, a lick, or a technique, I'll forget it. I admire those who can remember everything they ever learned.

Ziggy..

I resemble your last remark.

I feel I'm getting significantly better - except the last six weeks where work has been pretty much an 80-hour week drag - but it's more sharpening arrangements I do of stuff.

m

Ziggy..

I resemble your last remark.

I feel I'm getting significantly better - except the last six weeks where work has been pretty much an 80-hour week drag - but it's more sharpening arrangements I do of stuff.

m

80 hrs a week will get to you sooner or later

my brother in law had a sweet 12 string ricky when i was a kid. whenever no one was home i i would pull it out, play it, clean it, put it back. i practiced chords i copied from a book somewhere. eventually he busted me because his guitar was never dirty or out of tune. he helped me choose my first guitar, showed me a few more chords, and then i played along to records to learn stuff. i never took formal lessons, but i (in the beginning) hung out with guys who were way better than me, and i learned real fast by trying to keep up. when you're struggling, your stretching your abilities. at least that was how it was for me.

i find myself wishing it was cumulative in a linear sort of way. after all these years, i would be amazing. instead it seems to have a very "what have you done lately" sort of thing going on, so that instead, i am closer to mr. magoo than monster guitar player. hahaha

my brother in law had a sweet 12 string ricky when i was a kid. whenever no one was home i i would pull it out, play it, clean it, put it back. i practiced chords i copied from a book somewhere. eventually he busted me because his guitar was never dirty or out of tune. he helped me choose my first guitar, showed me a few more chords, and then i played along to records to learn stuff. i never took formal lessons, but i (in the beginning) hung out with guys who were way better than me, and i learned real fast by trying to keep up. when you're struggling, your stretching your abilities. at least that was how it was for me.

i find myself wishing it was cumulative in a linear sort of way. after all these years, i would be amazing. instead it seems to have a very "what have you done lately" sort of thing going on, so that instead, i am closer to mr. magoo than monster guitar player. hahaha

That bear cracks me up

Hello!

I need advice myself too! :D

I am with scales: learn them, their relation to each other, and - of course - the chords that fit them. That's my way to progress.

I also looking for old books on musical theory. I always find (new to me) old scales I like.

My weakness is rhythm. If someone has a good advice how to get better at it, please share. Especially, on reading rhythm from tablature. I am really bad at it. :)

Cheers... Bence

Hello!

I need advice myself too! :D

I am with scales: learn them, their relation to each other, and - of course - the chords that fit them. That's my way to progress.

I also looking for old books on musical theory. I always find (new to me) old scales I like.

My weakness is rhythm. If someone has a good advice how to get better at it, please share. Especially, on reading rhythm from tablature. I am really bad at it. :)

Cheers... Bence

I can't read rhythm. I've never understood how to really read time signatures, I suppose one day I'll have to count it out to get it, but thus far it escapes me...

My only suggestion is find what really appeals to you that you want to play more than anything and listen closely to similar type songs to get the feel for it and develop your own signature on it...

Somehow over time I've been able to develop a keen grasp on boogies. I can play a mean boogie rhythm and can kick_@$$ on a pretty quick version of Johnny B. Goode. Always a favorite at gigs, so it gets alot of play-time...

I have a couple original boogies that I've written that I play and for whatever reason I'm very at home doing it. Other than that it's minor 12-bars that make up the pocket in my comfort zone and I can fall around a minor 12-bar in my sleep...

I'm pretty sure it's because those are the things I love the most and most want to hear and have spent the majority of my time fiddling-with that they eventually became 2nd nature.

I still consider myself not only a hack, but a weak rhythm guy, but in my own comfort-zone, I've got those down pretty good...

I would suspect chord knowledge and music theory relationship ties must help immensely in putting together rhythms and make them far more natural...

I'm a weak chord guy too so that is also a weak point of my own. I learned all the major and minor barr-chords and the chords that fit in all the Blues standards such as 7th, 9th, and 13th chords and if a chord falls outside that then I fall to a barr-chord to cover my @$$... It often makes for less clarity in a song or rhythm, but it'll work in a pinch...

I still suspect a better grasp of more and varied chords along with a better understanding of theory will lead to better rhythm playing, probably significantly, at least for myself...

Time is my enemy! It hides from me well...

Archived