Gibson Brands Forums

Dava "Rock Control" picks

Pin

I have just ordered a "3 pack" of Dava Rock Control picks off the Bay.

They look interesting and worth a try.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/371029430869?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

I usually use XL Jazz III but these may offer a little more.

Anyone use them?

Yeah, I bought a pack several years ago. Honestly they never did it for me. They're supposed to be like a thin pick when you hold it toward the back, better for strumming, and you can "choke-up" a little to make it firmer for digging in to notes.

Maybe I just didn't give them enough of a chance to get used to. But I found the thin aspect too light, there is almost no resistance, and when I move up for the heavier end there isn't enough material sticking out to get a good picking action. That's just my take on the ones I got, which look slightly different from the ones you showed. Hopefully you find them useful.

This is another of those Holy-Grail type quests for me that eventually prove themselves to be so elusive that I don't settle onto any one for very long...

Like the perfect tone, picks are an essential element of playing feel and sound and I've chased several styles of picks over the years and right now I'm somewhere between a medium and light pick. I want one that can bite in for a fierce attack with the emotional content of the Blues and one that can handle some fast boogie and shuffle strumming without raising the volume too much...

It's a tough row to hoe trying to nail that combination down!

Right now I'm into Clayton picks. I like the Ultem .56mm, (same as a Dunlop Ultex)

The Claytons seem to have a rougher less polished surface than the Dunlops and seem to allow me to grip them better...

URT5612-large.jpg

The Acetyl .63mm,

RT6312-large.jpg

and the Duraplex .60mm (which are basically identical to the Dunlop Tortex)

They seem to hold up better than the Dunlops and don't wimp or sag-out like the Dunlops seem to over time with use...

DXRT-2.jpg?1372452997

I've been leaning heavily on the Clayton Duraplex Ultem .60mm lately...

I also prefer the large rounded triangle picks for any pick I use. For some reason I seem to have an issue holding onto them in my own style, for whatever reason, and these bigger ones allow for a better grip for my hands/fingers...

The Claytons seem to be on a slightly better price-point than the Dunlops, even though I guess the difference is nominal at best in the big picture.

wow I tried these and it tore up my strings they are stainless.

Yeah I got that silver pick for my 40th and its fine on the strings... So I have my metal pick covered.. but those hybrid ones look interesting.

I like the Dunlop Jazz Carbon Fibre picks, I always had trouble keeping a grip on picks, but for some reason I find those to be a lot better, I don't use anything else now.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-x-Jim-Dunlop-Jazz-III-Max-Grip-Guitar-Picks-Plectrums-Black-Carbon-Fibre-/190861746257?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2c703f2051

Ian

I bought a 5 pack of assorted Dava picks- I really like the rock control picks, esp. The one with the nickel insert. They have a thick contoured body that is really comfortable to grip. Suits my grip, as My picks always spin and my hand cramps trying to pinch them firmly enough to prevent this.Not sure about the string wear, but they have other materials as the insert as well.

I like the Dunlop Jazz Carbon Fibre picks, I always had trouble keeping a grip on picks, but for some reason I find those to be a lot better, I don't use anything else now.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-x-Jim-Dunlop-Jazz-III-Max-Grip-Guitar-Picks-Plectrums-Black-Carbon-Fibre-/190861746257?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2c703f2051

Ian

I think they're the small ones aren't they Ian? If they were available in XL size I could use them but the small size I find too small for my fingers to hold.

I think they're the small ones aren't they Ian? If they were available in XL size I could use them but the small size I find too small for my fingers to hold.

Yes Pin, they are small, I was a bit sceptical about them but surprisingly I find them to be the best picks I've had for gripping which has always been a big problem for me, but I'm willing to try those Dava picks to see if they are any better.

Ian

Well, I bought some of those Dava Rock control plectrums, and I found them truly awful. They feel clumsy. There fine for strumming an acoustic, but for playing lead I haven't been able to take to them, it's a bit like playing guitar with a saucer.

Ian

Archived