Gibson Brands Forums

SJ200 True Vintage, worth it?

I'm in the market for a J-200.

I've only played the standard version and love every single thing about it.

Only wanting to buy it used, I've been looking at several forums and found a TV model on AGF($3300).

I know it has a Adi top, hide glue, bone nut/saddle and no electronics.

But as far as I understand, J200 was never built with an Adi top in its history...

So is it worth of an upgrade to buy the TV model?

About 4-5 weeks ago, I picked up a used 2007 SJ200. It had all the appointments of a TV model but wasn't marked that way on the sticker. I called Gibson to try to verify what I had. Talked to Jeremy Morton and, after telling him all the details of the guitar, came to the conclusion that it was just like a TV except it was before Gibson labeled them that way. I've not played a more recent TV model, but compared to a regular SJ200, mine blows them away. Bigger, richer, fuller sounding than any modern SJ200 that I've played. I'm pretty sure mine has a sitka top, not adi. I've played several modern SJ200's and couldn't really understand what the fascination was about them, nothing exceptional to me. With the first strum of the one I bought, I thought this was what all the fuss was about. Whether the upgrade is worth it to you, only you can answer that question....to me, it was no contest.

Ive played a few J-200TV's and have to admit none of them made me go wow, this is a real step up from the standard. Which is quite the opposite from the HB and J-45 True Vintage models who almost always were head and shoulders above the standards.

Ive heard it said that adi tops have a more profound effect on gits with Mahognay b/s, accentuating clarity , punch and headroom (holds true for my J35). With maple b/s, where you already have a clear and punchy tone, the effect might be less noticable (owners, feel free to contradict); in fact, a "busier" sitka top might add some extra sparkle (again, owners?). My one recent J200 expereience was with an early 90s sitka std. Fantastic guitar. Light. Instant Gary Davis sounds. That said, I do think more TLC goes into Gibson's higher end models (ditto Martin). Like anything else, you get what you pay for. G'luck. Rambler

Generally the TV guitars seem to be worth the additional scratch.

Back in the day, the J-200s were the pinnacle of the guitar builder's craft. Gibson took so much care with these instruments that the tone bars were hand carved for each individual guitar based on the peculiarities of the top wood. No wonder that Gibson only made 100 or so a year. Possibly the heaviest acoustics I have ever gotten my hands on though.

(re: Adirondack top) ... clarity , punch and headroom

... ah; the three things I admire most. But don't typically find all three in the super jumbo (ymmv). However, bass note clarity in these is almost unavoidable (as the motorheads would say, "there's no substitute for cubic inches"). So maybe the Adi would help in due time. Agreement also, regarding wood selection, attention to detail, etc. After all, they are making the G flagship here.

Funny thing happens after the low $2K price range is broached- not as active, in terms of sales. The seller's ad on the AGF states "looking for $3300". I don't think you'd be hurting anyone's feelings with an offer of 10% off of that. Or could test the waters for a little more off. Reports from the front say that things (esp this price range) aren't selling. Personally, I'd pay a bit of a premium for that rare-as-hen's teeth, un-buyable-directly-from-Gibson brown TV case. It's a beautiful thing, and at big do's, someone is less likely to "accidentally" grab the wrong case & walk off. As if you'd be taking that guitar to big do's.

It's the best guitar I've ever had. And I got try two of them at the same time. It outplays the customs and the standards I've played on.

A lot of people will agree on this.... True Vintage is always worth the extra buck!

IMG_5615_zps3165932e.jpg

It's the best guitar I've ever had. And I got try two of them at the same time. It outplays the customs and the standards I've played on.

A lot of people will agree on this.... True Vintage is always worth the extra buck!

IMG_5615_zps3165932e.jpg

Man, that's a looker!

Played one when I was out hunting the right square shoulder and it what really outstanding. Nearly made me change my mind about what I was looking for, but the price tag helped me back on track.

If you want a j-200 and you got the money, I'd say go for the TV.

1404736183[/url]' post='1538096']

Is that true, forty? I've always heard you couldn't get a replacement???

It is my understanding, from threads here specific to this question, that you can get a replacement but have to demonstrate you own the actual model you are seeking to replace the pg on. I guess to prevent people from putting an SJ200 pg on an Epiphone. And they are not cheap.

eeesh. the seller backed out.

I guess I am back in the market to look for a J200.

My newest lead is a 2003 SJ-200. No fancy Adi top or bone saddle/nuts. But the guitar is located in Canada which means I don't have to pay paypal a ridiculous amount of money for using their service..

http://www.12fret.com/content/2014/04/14/2003-gibson-sj-200-standard/

What do ya guys think?(Other than the price... which I think is a bit much)

Did the guitar really come with tusq nut and saddle back then???

I dont know why but every J-200 from 2001 - 2004 ive played has been amazing,. I have a 2002 J-150 and the tone is richer and warmer than any recent TV model.

eeesh. the seller backed out.

I guess I am back in the market to look for a J200.

My newest lead is a 2003 SJ-200. No fancy Adi top or bone saddle/nuts. But the guitar is located in Canada which means I don't have to pay paypal a ridiculous amount of money for using their service..

http://www.12fret.com/content/2014/04/14/2003-gibson-sj-200-standard/

What do ya guys think?(Other than the price... which I think is a bit much)

Did the guitar really come with tusq nut and saddle back then???

I agree with EA - SJ200s from this timeframe are outstanding. I have a 2004 and it is the best sounding guitar I've ever heard. I would never trade mine for a TV, or for any other guitar to be honest. This one looks to be in great shape. Pickguard is great. I suggest you move past the questions about nuts and saddles and decide exactly what you want and how much you are willing to pay for it, or this one may pass you by as well. G'Luck.

I had a 07 Limited Edition of the 167 specials. Natural,Adi top ect,and it sounded fantastic.But had a few issues that led me to move to the Hummingbird TV,that just sold off the 12th Fret,as I replaced with a 61' Bird.Beautiful and "true vintage".Now have another 07 J-200 Natural,sitka top,built before they labeled it a TV as they were just coming out.My label doesn't say TV but it is,even came with California Gal case.Tip off for these is the lighter back braces all the way down back(bottom two braces are NOT the large wide ones that typically differentiate the regular models.Saw the 200 at the Fret and that's not a bad deal,offer $200 less or so,and usually the seller will meet halfway,good deal IMO.Here's mine.Crappy photos,trying to show brace size,and serial00667xxx.I prefer 4 bar stache' and Kluson's,and if neckset is good saddle,and room to make as you wish,you may have found a guitar you like.Happy hunting.

post-1020-092825000 1405433027_thumb.jpg

post-1020-024195400 1405433040_thumb.jpg

post-1020-007467200 1405433057_thumb.jpg

I dont know why but every J-200 from 2001 - 2004 ive played has been amazing,. I have a 2002 J-150 and the tone is richer and warmer than any recent TV model.

This was before the existence of a million splinter versions of the same basic instrument. I would simply say that many stellar guitars came out of Montana in the early 2000s. The Gibson lineup was seriously tweaked in 1999 to more accurately replicate traditional models, and anything from then through the mid 2000s is something worth checking out, ihmo.

I purchased a 2000 J-100Xtra new & still have it. Very light & highly responsive.

Also still own a 2002 J-45 Rosewood (ebony board & bridge), and it's another winner.

Used to have a 2001 J-150 with an even & rich tone across the board, but let it go due to playability considerations. Also owned a 2001 J-50 & should've kept it, and had two very nice WM-45s (one satin, one gloss) from the same period. Played a 1999 J-185 & should've bought it.

You get the idea > It was a darn good era.

Archived