Gibson Brands Forums

How would George Martin have done it?

robertg1952

There has been much discussion in the forum about The J-160e or the Epiphone version,

the EJ-160e. Much of what has been discussed is the use of flatwound, electric guitar

strings to achieve any type of sound when plugged into an amp.

But, when George Martin recorded John and George's acoustic Gibsons, did he record

them plugged into an amp, or miked, like an acoustic guitar, or both at the same time?

If miked, it seems like acoustic strings would make a more acoustic guitar sound.

To my ears, it sounds as if songs like "Norwegian Wood" have more of an acoustic

tone then plugged into an amp.

On the net I ran across an old picture made about 1963 that shows John plugged into

an amp at a recording session, so I began to wonder.

An insight would be most interesting.

Thanks,

Bob

With my knowledge of the Fab-camp something tells me they did a little of everything, but I have the feeling you mean early recordings (from 1962 to circa 65).

Something also tells me you need this piece of literature for your next birthday.

We have it in the studio and it's a 'bible', , , not that we live after it of course. . .

http://www.curvebend...gTheBeatles.jpg

Em7, thanks for the mention of that book. Never heard of it and it appears quite interesting.

Yes, it's a heavy book and some of the stuff is hard to believe can be remembered so well, but the staff (Martin plus engineers) probably took serious notes.

Thanks back for your link - like serving tea for the band while they're working out Ask Me Why. .

J160's were usually miked in Abbey Road but plugged in when gigged. If you listen to This Boy I suspect George was plugged in but John was miked in the studio. That's what you call the best of both worlds with that guitar. I love mine - unplugged.

J160's were usually miked in Abbey Road but plugged in when gigged. If you listen to This Boy I suspect George was plugged in but John was miked in the studio. That's what you call the best of both worlds with that guitar. I love mine - unplugged.

Thanks for the links. I had forgotten about that book. And that 360 degree photo is quite interesting as well.

That's also what I like about my guitar, the fact they can be miked, or plugged in.

To me, it goes back to chasing that Beatles sound. If you ask "how did they do it"?

then the idea might be also "can I do it"?

I remember as a kid watching the movie "A Hard Day's Night" and although I mostly paid

special attention to Ringo, as my dad was a drummer, and I played the drums, I was struck

by that acoustic guitar of John and George. I had never seen one like that before, and I'm sure

most people at the time hadn't. The guitar player in my dad's band had nothing like that, although

one guitar he used was a Gretsch Country Gentleman..

Archived